It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
(male)

son1981 HB User
Unhappy we did a general check up but no urine sample

does anyone know why my dr did a general check up with no urine sample? only blood samples were taken? im confused? I just realized this after the fact!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: we did a general check up but no urine sample

General check up ? Did you have a yearly physical or something ?
Not quite sure of what you are asking here.

Perhaps your doctor was blood testing for some medical concerns you are having?

Live Life Well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
(male)

son1981 HB User

yeah yearly health check up to just check for anything

Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

Could be that the doctor felt you had a recent enough urine, or, that he forgot, or another reason. If you are concerned about what might show on a urinalysis, give your doctor's office a call and ask if the doc could write you an order for one. S/he shouldn't have any issues with doing that, and it could be mailed to you to be done at your convenience.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
(male)

son1981 HB User

is there anything a urine sample can tell me that a blood sample cant all my blood samples came back nice

Old 12-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

It depends on what bloodwork you had done and if anything is being screened. A urine sample can do things like tell if you have a urinary tract infection, the state of your kidneys, the state of your liver, and a check for one of the signs of urinary trauma or diabetes(though fasting blood sugar check (glucose) is a better indicator of diabetes). There is bloodwork to check those things but it measures a different aspects to get a general idea of the health and again it depends on if you got those particular labs or not. In general the simple labs "CBC" (complete blood count) and "CMP/BMP" (metabolic panel) will give you a broad overview of the health of your body.

However since it seems that this is of concern to you/producing additional stress, I'd still recommend you call your doc and ask for this order, as this is a cheap, quick test that will help put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Ayvah2; 12-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the things that a normal UA kind of look for do differ from the blood labs in certain ways. just a couple things off hand would be looking for ketones which could indicate possible diabetes or protien in the urine which is the earliest indicator of a possible kidney disease. it would be picked up in the urine wayyy earlier than it would actually show in blood labs that require a certain level of actual kidney function impairment to actually be there before ANY real lab numbers would even begin to actually go out of range. i have a kidney disease that is very advanced but no lab changes yet, but do always have protien show up in my urine. they also can look for trace blood too and other indicators of possible unrinary tract issues too.

if you really feel you need to have this checked too for some reason, the next time you see your doc, just ask him or her about it. it kind of depends just how really thorough you want to be right now, ya know? FB

Closed Thread