It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

KannD86 HB User
passing out for no reason

I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this. It seems like "general health" but if there is someplace more appropriate, by all means, move it there.

This morning, I woke up early because my throat was bothering me, beginning stages of a cold. I got up to gargle with some salt water fully intending to go back to bed and sleep as long as I could afterwards. I never got that far though. I passed out in the bathroom. My dad heard the thud, my mom called 911, I spent Christmas morning in the emergency room. I don't remember falling, but I'm almost positive I didn't hit my head and that it wasn't a seizure. Shortly after, my vision came back and I was able to answer questions coherently. They checked me out at the hospital, blood, urine, head CT all normal. They said it was policy to observe me for 24 hours, but no one really had a problem with me leaving since I feel fine except for this cold.

So my question is, what could have possibly caused this? I am otherwise healthy, no major health issues in my family. I don't take any meds, only vitamins - St. John's Wort, b-complex, magnesium, fish oil and acidophilus. Last night I took 2 vitamin Cs because I felt this cold coming on. Nothing unusual at all happened yesterday. I would like to think this was a one time thing and that I'll be just fine, but people kept saying "a healthy 23-year old woman doesn't just pass out." Does anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

PtC HB User
Re: passing out for no reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannD86 View Post
I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this. It seems like "general health" but if there is someplace more appropriate, by all means, move it there.

This morning, I woke up early because my throat was bothering me, beginning stages of a cold. I got up to gargle with some salt water fully intending to go back to bed and sleep as long as I could afterwards. I never got that far though. I passed out in the bathroom. My dad heard the thud, my mom called 911, I spent Christmas morning in the emergency room. I don't remember falling, but I'm almost positive I didn't hit my head and that it wasn't a seizure. Shortly after, my vision came back and I was able to answer questions coherently. They checked me out at the hospital, blood, urine, head CT all normal. They said it was policy to observe me for 24 hours, but no one really had a problem with me leaving since I feel fine except for this cold.

So my question is, what could have possibly caused this? I am otherwise healthy, no major health issues in my family. I don't take any meds, only vitamins - St. John's Wort, b-complex, magnesium, fish oil and acidophilus. Last night I took 2 vitamin Cs because I felt this cold coming on. Nothing unusual at all happened yesterday. I would like to think this was a one time thing and that I'll be just fine, but people kept saying "a healthy 23-year old woman doesn't just pass out." Does anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate them.
That is pretty close to what happened to me when I was 22--I feel the same way, however many tests later they are bound and determined to say it was a seizure--now I know why so many do not talk about it--you can research up the kazoo and only find out about seizures, however many medications cause them--check out Google and the side effects for St. John's Wort--what's that for? Otherwise start reading
the EFA's website--it could be epilepsy and just now rearing it's ugly head.
Remember this, stress is an aggravant to seizures. Your body is under this physical stress of the oncoming cold or what have you plus other things contribute--check with a gynecologist--you'd be amazed--they may help you piece alot together.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Maybe orthostatic hypotension? Getting up out of bed abruptly and early (esp when you're not feeling well to begin with) could trigger a sudden drop in blood pressure.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

a big ditto on what AL just mentioned about the ortho hypotension? if you actually got up and went straight to the bathroom, then fainted, it really could have been just that OH. just see how things go over the next couple of weeks. anytime you wake up, try just sitting upright in bed for even like a minute or so before getting up from now on. did you feel at ALL even a bit dizzy before this happened? just how do your particular 'normal' BPs actually run, on the lower side or a bit more up?

this has occured with our son too(this past fall actually) in almost the same exact way yours did. got up to go to the bathroom one morning and boom we found him on the floor, luckily we heard him hit. but he did say he felt a bit dizzy right before he passed out. he was fine after too. the usual "suspects" here in a situation like this would be either the hypotension thing or it can also be a very sudden drop in blood sugar too, even if you are not actually a diabetic? its just the way our bodies will react to certain things. just like i already mentioned? watch yourself and take the precautions so this does not occur again. if you really do not 'feel right" from here on out, i would definitely just get a good check up eval from your doc. better safe than sorry, ya know? hopefully as with my son, this is just a one time thing that happened. please let us know if anything else pops in,K? FB

Old 12-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

faith41 HB User

As the others said your blood pressure probably dropped.
I passed out almost every morning for 6 months between sometime 9 and 10 am. I would lay down during those hours only if I started to feel "funny" no way to describe this. In 5 minutes it was over (because blood went back to the brain.) they did every kind of test on me wired me up for 2 days etc. Finally they sent me for a Tilt Test at the hospital. This is a very simple test and they actually tilt you. I passed out in 20 minutes. I was diagnosed with Vasavagel Syncope. My blood pressure dropped to 66/37. If you don't have this condition they cannot make you pass out with this test or drop your BP.
It is very simple to correct this condition. I need to add more salt to my diet, yes salt. You would think salt is bad for you but you need some sodium in your body. I have never passed out since.
This was probably a one time event for you but If you continue to pass out get a blood pressure cuff (I got the wrist kind)and make sure you tell the doctor. I took my cuff in to calibrate it against his BP equipment and it was accurate. This is not a common condition so they don't think of cheecking for it so I offer this info 'just in case'

Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Orthostatic hypotension sounds like a possible culprit. Occasionally, when I've stood up from sitting or lying down, I temporarily feel dizzy/lightheaded and can't see for a moment. It's not often, but has been going on as long as I can remember. My sister experiences the same thing from time to time. I've basically written it off as it doesn't happen very often and only lasts a few seconds, but perhaps it is related.

The wiki - pedia article says that it is associated with a number of diseases. Is it possible to have orthostatic hypotension on its own, or is it likely I have one of the diseases it is associated with? Also, it says that this condition rarely leads to syncope unless the patient has an unrelated cardiac problem. The doctors found no problems with my heart. The article also says it can be a side-effect of anti-depressants. Is St. John's Wort considered an anti-depressant?

My blood pressure was completely normal when they took it in the ambulance. I suppose it could have been much lower then went back to normal.

To feelbad, when you found your son, was he pale and non-responsive? My parents said I lost all the color out of my face and that I didn't respond to their questions right away. Maybe it's the same situation. I didn't actually go straight to the bathroom. First, I walked to the kitchen, got a cup, poured some salt in it, went to the bathroom, ran the water at the sink, then I kind of pressed on my neck to feel if my glands were swollen since my throat hurt so much. Then I felt dizzy and sat down on the floor, then I passed out. I didn't really realize what happened, so I stood up and went to the bathroom, then when I stood up again, I passed out and fell down. So I'm not sure if the "just got out of bed" thing applies. It would sure make me feel better if that's the answer though. It must have been scary to find your son like that. I know it scared the hell out of my parents, scared the hell out of me too.

The doctor did a vertigo test on me at the hospital by sitting me up in bed, then pushing me down, turning my head from side to side. Probably not the same thing as a tilt test. I will see if they can do one of those on me next time I see a doctor. One thing that does concern me is that nobody at the hospital mentioned orthostatic hypotension as a possibility even though you all seemed to pick up on it right away. What does that say? Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping me get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by KannD86; 12-27-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

St John's Wort is not considered an antidepressant, though it's often advertised as such, the possible side effects include sensitivity to sunlight, anxiety, dry mouth, dizziness, stomach ache, fatigue and headache. As far as I know, it would not cause a drop in blood pressure.

Fainting from a drop in blood pressure when sick and tired is not that uncommon. It isn't considered a disease or disorder, it just happens. ER personnel aren't going to spook you with some big scary sounding name if they think it's just a one-off thing. Orthostatic hypotension is a broad term, a symptom of many different disorders, including simple physical reasons for fainting.

"Parade faint" is another type of OH, where folks who've stood in one place too long, like a parade, suddenly get a drop in BP and pass out. There's nothing wrong with them, it's actually gravity. Your heart and blood pressure pump and push against gravity, getting your blood where it needs to go, especially to your brain, despite gravity pulling your blood downward. Get too hot, dehydrated, tired, sick, stand up too fast, stand still too long, get too anemic, iron deficency or blood loss from menstrual cycle - lots of stuff can contribute - and suddenly your BP dips and gravity wins.

If the dizzy/can't-see-for-a-sec spells continue or worsen you may need further testing. Definitely talk to your regular doctor about all the episodes, even the "mini" ones.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 12-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just how hard did you actually press into your neck are before you fainted? you could have very very easily compressed the arterial bloodflow to your brain which believe me can make you VERY dizzy and cause you to pass out. also stimulating whats called the vaso/vagal response with that vages nerve that just runs thru that very same area, can do the same exact thing that happened to you. i personally was sitting in my docs office trying to palpate my glands one day and nearly passed out right there. that is when my doc happened to mention what i just told you. it IS a very real possibility that this is what you just did and the faint was the result. believe me, it can happen when certain areas within our necks or certain other places are just stimulated or nerve flow disruption occurs at some level expescially with the cranial nerves.

i just think you found your 'reason" or culprit right there in your last post actually. just dont do that again, K, lol? FB

Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

KannD86 HB User

"ER personnel aren't going to spook you with some big scary sounding name if they think it's just a one-off thing."

You'd think so, but they mentioned "brain tumor" more than once, and said if the CT scan came back clean, that the next step would be to see a cardiologist and if that was normal then the next step would be to see a neurologist. Clearly, they weren't trying very hard not to scare me. It makes no sense to me that the causes seem so obvious to you guys, but the EMTs, doctors and nurses all said there is no reason for a healthy 23-year old to pass out. I mean, I'm glad that this appears to be a one time thing and that I know the cause, thank you all, but why when medical professionals had all the same information and more w/ me being right there in front of them, could they not come to the same conclusions?

To feelbad, I didn't press on my neck very hard at all. As I was doing it, I thought to myself "what is the point of this, I don't even know what I'm feeling for." I only did it because when I'm sick, my mom would always check if my glands were swollen. I mentioned it right away to the EMTs and to my father, they all seemed to agree it would be rather difficult to make yourself pass out that way, you'd have to press down hard in the exact right spot, which is not what I did. We ruled that out pretty quickly, but now I'm beginning to believe it did have something to do with it.

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to tell my parents everything I learned here so we can all stop worrying.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannD86 View Post
"ER personnel aren't going to spook you with some big scary sounding name if they think it's just a one-off thing."

You'd think so, but they mentioned "brain tumor" more than once, and said if the CT scan came back clean, that the next step would be to see a cardiologist and if that was normal then the next step would be to see a neurologist. Clearly, they weren't trying very hard not to scare me.
Holy smokes! Nice, real professionals. They sent you for a brain scan? First!??? Did they think you had an injury from falling?

Here's an overview from a goverment site: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fainting.html

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 12-28-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Yeah, I know! I told them that I didn't think I hit my head. I felt around to make sure. No one actually checked though. They didn't even look closely at my eyes. I guess they could see that I was acting normal, but these are things you'd think they'd check. At the time, I was pretty scared and I basically trusted that everyone knew what they were doing. We thought it was best to rule things out, hence agreeing to the head CT. Now I realize it all could have been avoided. It was probably a combination of my body dealing with the cold, only sleeping a few hours, not eating since dinner the night before, and touching my glands that caused me to faint.

Thank you for the link. Lots of good information there.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
(female)

burtons11 HB User

My God daughter has passed out for no apparent reason 26 times in the last year and a half. She has had every test in the book. I will let her know about the sodium thought...any other thoughts?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
(female)

krallesd HB User

My daugther who is 16 has been having "near-passing out" esipodes for a few years. In December 2009 she was at basketball practice and felt a little light-headed and sat on the bench. She completely blacked out and fainted and fell on the floor. We took her to the hospital and they said to follow up with a neurologist and a cardiologist. She had blood work done to check for anemia, low-blood sugar, diabetes, etc. Everything was normal. She went for a CT brain scan this week, but we didn't get results yet. She is scheduled for an echocardiogram and a cardiology appointment in 2 weeks (the earliest we could get in). She is not allowed to take gym or do any phyisical activity until she is cleared by the cardiologist. I will post if we get any conclusive findings.

Last edited by krallesd; 01-14-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
(female)

krallesd HB User

For Anna, CT brain scan was normal. Echocardiogram was normal. Cardiologist cleared her for full activity. I guess I will tell her to drink more fluids and up the salt intake.

Closed Thread