It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Short Course of Prednisone for Possible Pneumonia

Prescribed Pred (40mg once a day) for 5 days for the help of pneumonia.
started it this am.
will i have side effects just for being on it for 5 days? and...dr didn't mention anything about gradually weaning myself off this......just have 10 pills in bottle (2 20mg in the am for 5 days..) isn't this something i should do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Short Course of Prednisone for Possible Pneumonia

not for that small a dose. usually weaning is when you start out with 5 or so on the first day and then go down by one per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

That is a little strange to have no weaning down period. I'd give your doc's office a call to clarify.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
(male)

jaboop35 HB User

That also seems strange to me. When I took it for bronchitis they had me do a course of 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1. So I would wean it down. Never heard of doing it in 2's. I'd definitely check.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Actually, it is very common to give low dose like that. It doesn't tend to raise the blood pressure like the other method.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

Its not common around this area to abruptly stop 40 mg prednisone. 40mg prednisone is not considered a low dose. I'd still give your doc's office a call to clarify, as 5 days is long enough to justify a tapering period in my area as not tapering can cause withdrawal effects on the body.

Some docs give an Rx for a few days at a certain dose and want you to call them to let them know how you are doing, and then they give an additional Rx for whatever new dose they want you to be on based on how you are feeling. This is another possibility for what has happened.

Also prednisone is available in many different strengths, so one person's 5 tablets may be a whole lot different than another person's 5 tablets. Technically the OP could be taking 40 tablets of 1mg prednisone a day.

Also, OP, if you have diabetes, be sure to check your sugar more regularly while on prednisone.

Last edited by Ayvah2; 12-31-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Closed Thread