It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
How Often Should You Get Blood Work Done?

I'm 24 years old, male... and I went to my doctor for a checkup. I asked to have blood work done, and she looked through my folder and said "You last had your blood work done 2 years ago. You're young and healthy, you don't need to worry about that until you're 30."

I was under the impression that, no matter how good your results were the last time, you should get your blood work done once a year. I kind of thought it was odd for her (even though she is a nurse practitioner) to say that I can go 8 years without one. A lot can change in our bodies within a year, right? What do you suggest? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: How Often Should You Get Blood Work Done?

Not all that long ago, the general recommendation was that otherwise healthy people in their 20s and 30s needed a general physical (which would include blood work) only once every 10 years. I thought it was now every 5 years, so the nurse is a little off on that one.

But unless something has shown up on the test, there is concern about something running in the family, or there has been some major change in lifestyle, environment, health . . . there is no need for blood work more frequently.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Oh, on your last point . . . yes, the cells in the body are replacing themselves, so technically the body is changing . . . but unless there has been a dramatic lifestyle change, blood results do not change significantly in the short term.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
(male)

JB68711 HB User

Oh wow... I had no idea. I always thought it was once a year (including the physical exam). Well thanks for your reply.

Closed Thread