It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Tachychardia from bowel movement..? help pls

I just used Milk of Magnesia again for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. I have been having extreme, horrific constipation lately... despite more exercise than usual, replacing wheat cereals with quinoa, and reducing caffeine consumption. These are all things that supposedly should help relieve constipation.. however I can honestly say, I've rarely had such a hard time with bowel movements. I've had easier times going when I was not exercising and when I was eating wheat at every meal. I just don't get it.

So tonight, thinking that the Milk of Magnesia would work, I was disappointed to see it only help about half as usual. I knew I had much more to come out, and decided to slowly flex the muscles down there, over and over again--like I've done before in the past--and help it come out slowly. This is different from straining in that I just push for 1-2 seconds, stop, and then repeat again. But usually Milk of Magnesia works so well, I don't have to do this. However, MOM isn't working well with me nowadays.. I just get this feeling of cloggage in my left abdomen, and when I push, that whole area just spasms and quivers.. like there's something there preventing further movement. It's a brick wall.

Here's where it begins for those who can't read the backstory: Eventually after so many "light pushes" but still no more bowel movement, I felt a dull pain in the heart area (left side of my chest.) I then realized I was feeling an alarming lightheaded/numbing sensation all over my body. Then I realized I had mild shortness of breath. It was at that point I put my hand to my chest and felt my heart pumping WELL OVER 100 BPM. My typical resting pulse rate is usually 90 BPM, which some people think is too high, and I do too, but there you have it. Anyhow this was tachychardia... I know, I've had it before. But getting it from a bowel movement? Never had that before!

I'm 28/male with no diagnosed health problems. I just went to the doctor 3 months ago about tachychardia I developed sometimes late at night or early in the morning. He took my EKG and it looked fine to him, checked my pulse and BP, all was normal... except pulse rate was 105 when he checked it. But the same day I saw his nurse who found my pulse rate to be 89. So maybe the 105 was White Coat Syndrome. Anyway then he ordered a battery of blood tests.. result? All normal.

What do you guys think? Is tachychardia normal when one is trying too long for a bowel movement (I must have spent a total of 2 hours on the toilet tonight, on 2 different occasions, waiting for the damn MOM to work.) ?

Should I report this to my doctor? I've been to him for tachychardia before, like I said. He felt it was anxiety-related, which has some truth to it as I do have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. however I would think getting tachychardia during a bowel movement is physiological. But does tachychardia happen to normal people when they "try" too hard to defecate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Tachychardia from bowel movement..? help pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benit View Post
I just used Milk of Magnesia again for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. I have been having extreme, horrific constipation lately... despite more exercise than usual, replacing wheat cereals with quinoa, and reducing caffeine consumption. These are all things that supposedly should help relieve constipation.. however I can honestly say, I've rarely had such a hard time with bowel movements. I've had easier times going when I was not exercising and when I was eating wheat at every meal. I just don't get it.

So tonight, thinking that the Milk of Magnesia would work, I was disappointed to see it only help about half as usual. I knew I had much more to come out, and decided to slowly flex the muscles down there, over and over again--like I've done before in the past--and help it come out slowly. This is different from straining in that I just push for 1-2 seconds, stop, and then repeat again. But usually Milk of Magnesia works so well, I don't have to do this. However, MOM isn't working well with me nowadays.. I just get this feeling of cloggage in my left abdomen, and when I push, that whole area just spasms and quivers.. like there's something there preventing further movement. It's a brick wall.

Here's where it begins for those who can't read the backstory: Eventually after so many "light pushes" but still no more bowel movement, I felt a dull pain in the heart area (left side of my chest.) I then realized I was feeling an alarming lightheaded/numbing sensation all over my body. Then I realized I had mild shortness of breath. It was at that point I put my hand to my chest and felt my heart pumping WELL OVER 100 BPM. My typical resting pulse rate is usually 90 BPM, which some people think is too high, and I do too, but there you have it. Anyhow this was tachychardia... I know, I've had it before. But getting it from a bowel movement? Never had that before!

I'm 28/male with no diagnosed health problems. I just went to the doctor 3 months ago about tachychardia I developed sometimes late at night or early in the morning. He took my EKG and it looked fine to him, checked my pulse and BP, all was normal... except pulse rate was 105 when he checked it. But the same day I saw his nurse who found my pulse rate to be 89. So maybe the 105 was White Coat Syndrome. Anyway then he ordered a battery of blood tests.. result? All normal.

What do you guys think? Is tachychardia normal when one is trying too long for a bowel movement (I must have spent a total of 2 hours on the toilet tonight, on 2 different occasions, waiting for the damn MOM to work.) ?

Should I report this to my doctor? I've been to him for tachychardia before, like I said. He felt it was anxiety-related, which has some truth to it as I do have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. however I would think getting tachychardia during a bowel movement is physiological. But does tachychardia happen to normal people when they "try" too hard to defecate?
Don't do anymore pushing at all because you must be exerting more strain than you even realize. Try this instead: take slow deep breaths about 10 in a row then take a deep breath and hold it to the count of 15 and slowly release your breath and do this 3-4 times in a row then 10 more slow deep breaths keep alternating this with the deep breaths and holding it to the count of 15. This works for me everyday but I also sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes at the same time everyday. I increased my daily water intake to 64 oz. and my dietary fiber to 25- 30 grams a day. I take Citrucel twice a day, in the morning with breakfast and in the evening after I get home from work.I eat oatmeal with ground flax seed and cinnamon and 6 stewed prunes then 20 minutes after I finished eating breakfast is when I go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes. I have been doing this routine for 2 months and no longer have anymore constipation problems.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User

This is very common. What happens is during a BM or even sometimes urinating we trigger the vagus nerve. It's completely ok and you should tell your doctor about this just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Find a GI dr for your constipation since none of your other things have worked...not sure how much water you drink? make sure it's enough for your system especially with extra fiber in your diet. Have you tried warm tea? sometimes that helps also but be careful of the caffeine in it since you have tachycardia.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Benit, didn't you do the same post in '09? You also have been having this sort of constipation problem for quite awhile if I recall. Perhaps it's time for you to get in a good gut doctor and see if he can't help you with all of the issues you have with your bowels as it seems that nothing we have suggested has worked consisitantly for you. And it is important you get good medical advice at this point. I would hate to have something happen because of none of our suggestions have worked. That's the point where you truly need specialized care. It's time for the big guns. There is nothing more miserable than not being able to "go" consisitantly...good luck and keep us posted....

Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Dear bake and pray,

The initial post is from over a year ago. The poster before you bumped it up for some reason. I appreciate what that poster has to say. But I don't think it's fair to accuse me of repeating myself in this case.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
(female)

listomania HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLTd View Post
This is very common. What happens is during a BM or even sometimes urinating we trigger the vagus nerve. It's completely ok and you should tell your doctor about this just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Find a GI dr for your constipation since none of your other things have worked...not sure how much water you drink? make sure it's enough for your system especially with extra fiber in your diet. Have you tried warm tea? sometimes that helps also but be careful of the caffeine in it since you have tachycardia.
Just thought I would clarify that the vagus nerve has a parasympathetic function and therefore acts as a regulator of the heart to lower the heart rate.

Any form of exertion can cause a tachycardia, especially when your resting HR is 90. If you feel your HR straight after strenuous exercise it is likely and normal to be 140-160+, so don't worry about having a slightly raised HR when you have been straining for so long

Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User

For any that want to know....The National Dysautonomia Research Foundation has a lot of information on the ANS; which after 2 years I'm still learning alot about.

If you google the NDRF and go the their website, look on Learn More: The ANS; Autonomic Disorders; learn more; The NDRF Patient Handbook explains the ANS and CNS (The "Automatic" Nervous System).

It's great easy information to read and page 32 touches on the enteric nervous system in the GI tract and a few pages down around page 38; explains more about the ANS and Parasympathetic System; vagus nerve etc.

I don't want to link anything or quote what they say so it doesn't get deleted. I'm sure there are much more complicated explanations with the ANS/Vagus nerve but this was the easiest thing for me to understand and it made alot of sense after reading.

Last edited by LLTd; 05-12-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread