It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

Rob Fortier HB User
pain aftert 6 months since surgery for labrum tear

I am 42 years old and in excellent health/shape. I had surgery in Sept 09 to have my right shoulder labrum tear fixed. I went to one of the top shoulder surgeons at Yale to have the procedure done. I have been doing all the throwers 10 rehab exercises for the past four months thinking I will be ready to pitch in the upcoming baseball season. I play in a 30 and over MSLB baseball league. I was cleared to play by my surgeon after several follow up appointments. I have been throwing very easy since late January and now we had our first practice last Sunday and when I try to throw even a semi slow fastball, it feels just as it did before my surgery. I am very depressed and disappointed. I still feel pain in the lower part of my shoulder just above the armpit. Is this normal and will go away, or wishful thinking. I was under the impression from my surgeon that after surgery it will be ok and I should feel pretty good other than losing a mile or 2 an hour off my fastball. I understand it takes time to heal, but is trhe pain I am feeling normal or is this a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I totally understand if someone says it takes a year or more before pain free, but I just want someone to tell me that the pain I am feeling is normal or a big problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User
Re: pain aftert 6 months since surgery for labrum tear

With my labrum repair it did take quite sometime to start to feel even semi-normal. Depending on the type of tear and where the anchors or sutures were placed I would think it would be fairly normal at about 6 months.

My tear was fairly extensive and took them over 2 years to repair. I believe I was in rehab for about 5 months or so before being released by my surgeon.

If you do not find that it is improving over time, I would certainly reconsult your surgeon or even a second opinion. Sometimes the best doctors get ocky and think they have done a perfect job when they haven't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread