It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
(male)

jaboop35 HB User
Sore Throat on One Side

Hi all. I posted yesterday about my knee/leg which is doing better today, but only a little bit. Anyway, I might seem like a hypochondriac, but unfortunately today, something else cropped up. Over the past couple of months, my throat has been kinda raw (never sore, or red) but I think it's been from post nasal drip. It comes and goes, and hasn't really bothered me. This morning I woke up with it pretty sore on the right side, but kinda ignored it and then went to work. It didn't bother me during the morning so I forgot about it. Then after lunch it got really sore, and felt swollen. When I got home from work I checked it out, and the one side is slightly red, and I have a small white bump (only one) near the arch of my throat. I can't really see my tonsils, at least I don't think I can, so I don't think it's them. I don't have a fever and the other side seems pretty normal to me. I then remembered that I had really thin pretzel sticks for lunch, and may have scratched it. My question is, could it all be from a scratch, or is it likely something else. I don't want to go to the doctor right now about it, since it's only been a day. Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas about what might be going on, or other stuff I should watch for with it?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Sore Throat on One Side

Generally speaking, if you gargle with warm salt water and the sore throat goes away, then it was allergies/post nasal drip. If it doesn't, it's most likely an infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
(male)

jaboop35 HB User

I've been doing that for a few hours now. I guess I'll have to see how it feels in the morning, though it doesn't seem to be doing too much at the moment...

Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I would also take a good antihistamine and see if that doesn't help dryup the post nasal drip that's causing the sore throat.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
(male)

jaboop35 HB User

Thanks for the reply. It was really bad this morning when I got up, and feels a little bit better now. I still have a white spot on the one side of my throat. Not all the way in the back, pretty much right in front of the arch of my throat. It's red around it too. Would it also be possible that it could be caused by acid reflux? I noticed that when I've burped a few times today it's really burned on that one side. Not sure if the two are related, or if it just is that I scratched that one white spot.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
(male)

jaboop35 HB User

Sorry to post back to back, but I went to the doctor today finally and I figured I'd let everyone know what's going on. Basically the sore spot is a canker sore, I think probably from the scratch incident, and that's the reason the whole side of my mouth/throat hurt. He also thought that I have a mild sinus infection. So all in all, he told me to use Anbesol for the sore, and gave me a 5 day Z Pak for the sinus infection. However, now I've got some stomach issue going on, I think from the antibiotic. Mainly a little bit of cramping and diarrhea. Guess I just can't win haha.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

The runs and the tummy issue is a side effect of the Z pac. Isn't that delightful? If it makes you feel special, only 5% of the people get the runs from it.....LOL. I know how nasty that is. I had vomiting and diarhearra from it when I took it. And this was suppose to make me better....unhuh.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I used to have "tonsil stones" all the time, with a little white ball on the back of one side of my throat. When I visited a doctor at this time, they said it was likely just due from allergies and post-nasal drip collecting, plus food debris, etc. They would get pretty painful at times when they got larger. It sure was annoying! Mine really did seem to be allergy related, because I moved to a different state and they went away. I get allergies, but now it's mostly just sinus pressure. I occasionally might get the throat discomfort, but not nearly as often as I used to. I was pretty upset that my doctor at the time did not help or give me any medication... the area with the tonsil stone would bleed and would hurt really bad. Drinking water was painful and I would often lose my voice. If this happened again in the future, I will now definitely see MORE than one doctor to get a second opinion if they send me away, especially since it lasted about a year!

I hope your throat feels better! Sore throats are no fun!! I have a burning, dry feeling in my throat from a cough, but luckily it's manageable with some throat drops.

Closed Thread