It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Oily sheen on urine?

Today this is the first time I've noticed an oily sheen on the top of the toilet bowl after urinating. What could this be? However, please read details first:

The color of my urine for this last week or so has been bright yellow and sometimes even neon-like. I have about 99% certainty this is caused by 100mg of Riboflavin (in a capsule, Blue Bonnet is the company) which I have been taking daily. This coloration never happened before I took Riboflavin. I'm wondering if perhaps the fluorescent-nature of Riboflavin, when flushed out of the body, could also cause the oily sheen?

The other possibility is I ate a relatively large amount of raw garlic tonight (a bit more than 2 small cloves), I've been trying this to see if I can clean out my digestive system as they say garlic has anti-fungal qualities. I wonder if perhaps too much garlic can produce an oily substance in the urine??

And I guess the last possibility is it's a sign of some health problem, however I have had fasting blood sugar checked recently which was perfect, I don't seem to be losing weight more than normal, e.g. i don't think I'm diabetic.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: Oily sheen on urine?

Benit, oily sheen is typically associated with too high a fat content in the diet and the liver being unable to break it down - as with people who have had their gall bladders removed.
Why are you supplementing with riboflavin?
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose4me View Post
Benit, oily sheen is typically associated with too high a fat content in the diet and the liver being unable to break it down - as with people who have had their gall bladders removed.
Why are you supplementing with riboflavin?
Rose
I'm 28, I still have my gall bladder.

I'm trying the riboflavin to see if it can help with this "constant head pressure" symptom I have. Some people think it's a form of chronic tension headache and/or migraine, for which Riboflavin (400mg daily) has been found to help.

I just quit taking it in case that caused the oily sheen on the urine.

Do you think it's a big deal if it just happens once?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benit View Post
I'm 28, I still have my gall bladder.

I'm trying the riboflavin to see if it can help with this "constant head pressure" symptom I have. Some people think it's a form of chronic tension headache and/or migraine, for which Riboflavin (400mg daily) has been found to help.

I just quit taking it in case that caused the oily sheen on the urine.

Do you think it's a big deal if it just happens once?
Typically most physicians do not become alarmed with transient symptoms. It is when it becomes a pattern and is accompanied by other alarming symptoms that their attention it peaked. At least that has been my impression with my doctors. If you have no other alarming symptoms, pain with urination, any sort of nuerological symtoms that are unexplained for example , this is certainly not a comprehensive list - then by all means seek a higher opinion - preferably your doctor.
Good health to you.
Rose

The Following User Says Thank You to rose4me For This Useful Post:
slenderella (02-19-2011)
Closed Thread