It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

kinsy2323 HB User
severe lower back/pelvic pain

Hello. In the spring of 2007 I started getting painful right lower back/pelvic pain when I would be up and about doing things. I am an energetic person and when I would be working out or lifting something I would get the pain.
It has gotten to the point where I don't have to do anything strenuous and I can feel it coming on. It starts where my lower back feels tired which will last a few days, then even if I'm on my feet for just a little while the pain will get so intense that it is sharp and I have to sit down and roll in a ball.
I have been through every test which a Spine Surgeon and there isn't anything wrong with my lower back. I have had cortizone shots in my sciatic area which just dulls it and lasts a couple months.
I have had severe constipation where I have to take a laxative often. I eat very healthy-fruits, vegetables and alot of grains.
Just 4 days ago I felt it coming on. By friday evening I couldn't walk for more than a half an hour and started getting alot of pain. I was also very constipated and started thinking about it. I took some herbal laxatives friday night and on saturday had a small BM. I know there is alot more in there. I took some more laxatives because the pain only lessened a little. I scrubbed my floor and cleaned the kitchen spotless but by the time I was done I barely made it to the sofa.
When that happens I have to relax my muscles totally and then I try to lay on the floor and do some lower stretching.
I get very sharp pain when I get up from sitting or even try to bend.
I have had only one small BM in the last 5 days. When I try to push a little I get a very sharp pain deep in the pelvic region and if I do produce a couple pebbles it is an awful rotten smell. I have constant pressure in my bowel area. I am not as hungry anymore lately but I am at my highest weight ever. I am not fat but I used to be thin! I started gaining weight in early 2007 when this all began.

I know it's not a lower back pain.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Please help! My quality of living has deteriorated!!!!!

help,
L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: severe lower back/pelvic pain

If your back has been rules out as the cause, then you need to start investigating what else it could be. In the lower right side you have intestines, female reproductive organs, muscles, your hip joint....all sorts of stuff. With the history of constipation, you could start with a gastroenterologist and see if it's the intestines. At the same time, I'd see a gynecologist and have that route eliminated. You could be seeing the effects of a hernia or arthritis in the hip. It's all about eliminating them one at a time until everything has been checked.

But since you have other symptoms of constipation, start where the signs are leading you. But do see the GYN too as ovary issues can start with constipation too(and bloating). One by one and sooner or later you'll get your answer.

Jenny

Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

kinsy2323 HB User

I had to have a hysterectomy when I was 38 and have no ovaries.
I have also had arthritis since I was in my lower 30's.
I though about it after your reply and it seems to me that when I get the real severe pain is when I am really constipated. I am going to call for an appointment in the morning. I even thought about going to ER today but you never know who your going to get in our smaller town and they probably would have just given me pain meds until I see my doctor. So, hopefully I can get in right away because this is getting really old and at 45 years of age my quality of life sucks!
thank you so much!
L

Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Good luck, Kinsy and let me know how it goes and what they find.

Jenny

Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

A question for you. Are you on pain meds? The reason I ask is that pain meds cause constipation-severe consitpation. It's a side effect that many docs fail to mention.

I am on heavy duty pain meds and I take Miralax every day to make sure that I'm not consitpated. It dissolves clear, has no mouth feel or aftertaste. It is even available as a generic now at Target, Costco, Walmart...you might want to start taking it. It may take a couple of days to start working, but work it does.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
(female)

kinsy2323 HB User

I have been given alot of pain meds these last couple years but elect not to take them unless it's a last resort.
We've been having an extremely wet spring and my arthritis is awful and getting worse.......(it is raining right now). My hip hurts daily and have a hard time sitting at my desk for more than 4 hours because my bones hurt. Even driving this weekend for 2 hours was painful.
I am having a colonoscopy on tuesday. If nothing shows up, then it's probably my hip pain that radiates the pain to other areas. (I still have terrible constipation but maybe that's something I will have to live with. I will start Mirilax on wednesday.
Thank you for your insights.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
(female)

kinsy2323 HB User

Hi. Just wanted to report that I did have the colonoscopy on tuesday. The Dr told me there were polyps and diverticula. I will wait for the whole report.
I am still having thoughts that alot of this pain could be my hip or sciatica.
I just wish I didn't have it at all.

Closed Thread