| | Sudden Change in Behavior/Thinking/everything...Please Help...:(
My brother (13 years old) was perfectly normal seven days ago. He was an athlete, played soccer and basketball for his school team. Straight A student, and much more.
Last Saturday, he went on a field trip with his school orchestra to an amusement park. At the amusement park he rode the largest roller coaster the place had to offer. Everything was going great. About ten minutes after the roller coaster, while waiting in line for the next ride, he calls my father and tells him that he isn't feeling well or like himself. My dad told him not to ride any more rides, and he did not. For the rest of the day, my brother was acting very strange, punching his friends, pushing strangers he had never met, and acting like a totally different person. He does not remember much of what he was doing, but his friends say he acted very strangely. He was normal the next day, which was mothers day, and the day went on. Monday he went to school and was okay. Tuesday however, he woke up with a sore throat and other cold symptoms. He stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday, but Wednesday night, he began "not feeling like himself" he was pacing the house and was not acting normally so my parents took him to the ER. There they did a brain scan (not an MRI, the other kind), blood tests, and urine tests. Nothing was found. My brother came home without any more information than he left the house with. He has been to 2 more doctors after the ER, none know exactly what is going on. One said it cannot be psychological, or mental, because those things do not occur that quickly. The other doctor found that there was much liquid behind his ears, he called it an "inner ear concussion" and said many of the symptoms could be from that. Here are all of his actual symptoms, please tell me what you think is going on:
- Complete loss of appetite
- Extremely tired (wants to sleep 18 hours a day)
- Does not remember things (while I was out I called him but when my parents asked he said that he called me)
- Slow response (I have to call his name 3 or 4 times before he makes a response)
- Cannot concentrate, or concentrates too much (when asked how long the symptoms have been occurring to him, he starts explaining the whole story, and no matter what you do, he continues talking like nothing is going on)
- He knows that he is not himself (he says that he feels like a robot, like he is not controlling his own body)
- He says odd things (let's go some place far away, let's go to a hotel. He takes the bible and prays to it saying "God, please make me better, help me")
- He does odd things (today we went to a restaraunt, we sat down for 2 seconds and the waiter gave us our menus. He gets up and says "lets go" my dad said "we just got here" and he responds "no, please lets go" and he grabs the menus and takes them to the front door and walks out)
He also had 2 minor minor concussions about half a year ago.
Please please please help me and my family. We do not know what to do, and it feels like we have lost him.