It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
burtonbrdr HB User
Ingested Black Mold, please help!

Hi all,

I'm not really sure where I should put this since it is a really bizarre thing that has never happened to me. 3 days ago I was at a BBQ with some friends, we were deep frying chicken wings and onions. After the BBQ (literally maybe 10 min after it was over) I started to get a sore throat and could feel my throat constricting a bit. I just went to bed that night thinking it was allergies because I was around pollen a lot earlier that day. I woke up the next day with the sore throat still and had some aches and a cough. In addition my muscles were sore and I could hardly move my neck. I got progressively worse throughout the day and I ended up having a pretty nasty fever later in the day with all the symptoms described above. I figured I had maybe caught some kind of bug.

Last night I talked to one of my friends that was at the BBQ with me who said he had all the same symptoms, even the sore throat right after we ate. I then remembered that one of the onions contained black spots on it when I started peeling it. I just rinsed it off in the sink thinking it was just dirt, I did touch it with my hands as well, and never properly washed them with soap. I think this is what made me sick, and I've tried to research what I should do but haven't found anything. Apparently what was on the onion is black mold, which I had no idea even existed. I was feeling better last night before bed, but today it feels like my lungs have mucus in them and I have a cough now. Should I go to a doctor or should I just wait it off? Thanks for any input.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,329
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Ingested Black Mold, please help!

That wasn't the same dangerous black mold that causes major illness. I've been cooking for 40 years, have washed off little bits of mold from onions dozens of times, and it's never once been an issue for any of the family.

I'm not sure what caused your and your friend's illness, but I'd bet my right arm it wasn't that onion.

 
Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
burtonbrdr HB User
Re: Ingested Black Mold, please help!

As much as I'd like to accept your 40 so years of cooking as a reliable source, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Aspergillus ***** is the mold that grows on onions and is has been shown to have toxic effects on humans, whether inhaled or ingested. There were other people that ate the same onion at this BBQ but only me and my friend were the two that handled it and felt these effects. So logically, it has been narrowed down to the mold.

As for my symptoms now, I am beginning to have a shortness in breath. I have also started to cough up mucus that is a peachy color. Again I have looked all around even in my roommates textbooks for anything about this and I have yet to find anything. Anyone have suggestions? Natural remedies, anything??

 
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ontario ,canada
Posts: 487
engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: Ingested Black Mold, please help!

So you awnsered your own question(which is always good)..now get your tush to the expert ..a doctor and get it looked into ..they'll do a test swab and tell you yeah or nay.....easy simple ....painless.

 
Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,266
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Ingested Black Mold, please help!

From what I've read online as a result of this post, any side effects will pass after a few days. The inhalation is worse than the ingestion evidently. But you could always see a doctor if you feel that's necessary....preferably an immunologist since you feel your immune system has been compromised....

 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Oak Hill, VA
Posts: 3,506
ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Ingested Black Mold, please help!

Midwest, I agree with you. There would have been major alerts and hundreds of people sick because of this otherwise...The internet can be a dangerous thing......

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold related illness sharewithme Environmental Disorders 20 10-20-2011 09:14 PM
I Need Help? Prostate infection 22 years old Mridkwhattodo Urology 5 07-05-2010 07:29 PM
Severe pain & black mold questions neveragain444 Fibromyalgia 8 03-03-2010 08:57 AM
Black Mold Hygea Asthma 3 02-05-2010 07:21 AM
Mold problems suggi Environmental Disorders 67 12-16-2007 02:58 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!