It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
(male)

pantherx HB User
How I got rid of hives.

February of this year I suddenly broke out with hives. Once they started I would break out about every 2 to 3 hours for 30 minutes. The worst was at bedtime and my entire legs would be bright red and on fire. I visited my GP and learned that hives can be triggered by various things and there is no one well defined cause. She prescribed Benadryl, but I didn't get the pills because I wanted to figure out the cause, not just treat the symptoms.

I started by cutting out non-essential consumption items one at a time. Coffee first, wait a few days - no change, etc. I finally discovered the trigger to be Copenhagen (snuff). After a few days of no hives, I had some Copenhagen again and they returned.

I researched some naturopathy on-line & in books and got a hint that they could be caused by intestinal parasites. So, I ordered parasite treatment herbs (primarily wormwood & black walnut husks + other herbs) from a company I frequent and went through the month-long treatment. At the end the hives were gone and I've returned to using Copenhagen since with no outbreaks.

Evidently intestinal parasites were the problem in my case. I eat a lot of salad (lettuces + raw spinach + other veggies) and I figure I got the parasites from the raw food, perhaps the packaged greens from Mexico (it's stamped on the package).

I've done the same parasite treatment periodically over the last 20 years (perhaps once every year or two) and have never experienced any bad side effects.

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantherx For This Useful Post:
temp178 (10-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

temp178 HB User
Re: How I got rid of hives.

Hi There..
Came across ur post while searching the net for hives and intestine parasite and found your post quite helpful.

My husband is having similar problems, gets a swollen lip every other day, some hives and rashes on shoulders etc. He has also been having some gaseous trouble, bloating and indigesion feelings. So we suspect this might be because of Intestine parasite. Doctor hasnt been very helpful on this

Since you have successfully got rid of it, we want some more help from you. Can you please share more details, like where did you order the herbs(wormwood etc) from? How much of this you took every day and for how many days? Did you continue a normal diet otherwise or some restrictions? Also did you consult a doctor before starting on these herbs.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by mod85; 10-13-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

pantherx HB User

Hi. Sorry for the delayed reply - I don't check email regularly.

Diet restrictions - Over time I'v eliminated refined sweets like cake, cookies, soft drinks, sweetened foods, but kept fruits, honey, and occasionally maple syrup. I've greatly reduced refined foods in general and white flour foods. That leaves me with meats (preferably nonprocessed), whole grains, raw & cooked vegetables, dairy (but less melted cheese), nuts, and fruits. Primarily I've preferred food that promotes regularity.

I got the wormwood tincture and black walnut capsules from a place called "Herbal Healer Academy". I don't work for them and I don't represent them in any way. I'm only putting their name here because you requested. They have a website. However, I've seen many parasite cleanse products of different brands but basically the same ingredients in Whole Foods stores.

The tincture and capsules took about 6 weeks. Tincture amount was about 1/4 to 1/2 dropper before meals and 2 capsules after meals. Wormwood has a bad reputation, but this amount is less than one would get from a bottle of mead, which seems to enjoy a renaissance lately. I never experienced any bad "side effects".

I also started a week ahead with powdered psyllium seed (about 1 tsp in glass of water, followed by lots of water) an hour or more after meals. Psyllium taken right after a meal will increase bloating and will absorb the nutrients from the food. The psyllium cleans the gunk out, but drink lots of water or it will stop you up. I continued taking psyllium during the 6 weeks. Powdered psyllium comes in multiple brands in Whole Foods, as "Metamucil" in the supermarkets, and about a bazillion brands on-line. I got mine from the same place as the parasite detox.

My physician (g.p.) shrugged her shoulders and said "no one knows what causes hives, but take some benadryl to ease the itching". After my success with the parasite cleanse I excitedly told her about my "new discovery" but she just sort of laughed it off as "cute", showing no serious interest.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
(male)

pantherx HB User

Of course, by 'mead', I mean absinthe.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

temp178 HB User

Hi ..

Thanks for the detailed info..

We are trying to find the reason for allergic reactions by cutting down on diet...and continuing on just rice and veggies for few days..hoping for the good.

Even we asked our doctor if this could be related to Parasite ..and his reaction was exactly same as ur doctor...I m curious why the doctors do not believe it..

So we are still not sure if we should go for the complete Parasite treatment as you mentioned, well no fear of side effects but we dont know if it is really necessary..he may be getting allergic to some basic thing like nuts or dairy...or even laundry detergent..we hv bought all hypo-allergenic things at home now and want to see for few days.

What was it that made you completely sure that you have the problem of intestinal parasite? ..

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

pantherx HB User

"What was it that made you completely sure that you have the problem of intestinal parasite? .."

Perhaps never know for sure, but as stated in the OP, I tried removing and adding back various substances to see what triggered the hives outbreaks. Easy enough to do because they were intense. I found tobacco was the main trigger, coffee less so.

My sister dealt with parasites before and had success with a parasite cleanse and after reading about them I had a suspicion and decided to try a cleanse.

During the cleanse the hives outbreaks completely stopped. I resumed tobacco use afterward and zero outbreak and none since (almost 2 years). Some literature claims that during the cleanse parasites are visible in the stool. I don't know - I didn't look. Some also suggest mailing a stool sample to be analyzed for parasites (for a fee, of course). I didn't do that either. So, I'm not certain I had a parasite issue from direct evidence, but for me the circumstantial evidence is strong enough. And I no longer "have" the problem.

I offered the post in case others wanted to consider my experience. I certainly don't intend to persuade anyone to try something they're wary of. I'm not and M.D. and I'm not trying to offer a professional medical opinion.

Closed Thread