It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

KLinFL HB User
Question lower leg spasms/twitching/cramping/

For the past month I have had constant leg twitching and spasms in my lower leg muscles-calves. They have been progressively getting worse as each day passes. To a point of actually moving up into my thighs and buttocks. I know this is something more than RLS because sometimes I feel like someone just wrapped up my thigh with an ace bandage. I end up looking down to see who grabbed my leg and find nothing. As I sit/stand/lay down and walk they are constantly having issues with spasms and aches. One night I went to bed with the sensation of someone stabbing my foot. Recently (last night) I was awaken by a leg cramp (slight) that went away. I am so tired of my calves always moving!!! Of course they fall asleep, go numb, feels like someone is kicking me in the shins. This is driving me absolutely crazy! And when my cute little puppies lay in between my legs to sleep I have literally seen one of their heads get tossed off my leg from the spasm. My ankles have a sharp stabbing pain every so often. My sister stated to me back in July that I have to gain weight because my legs were looking thin. I currently am at 125 lbs, 5'5" so I am not overweight. I use to be an alcoholic and I quit that 10 years ago so I could have some residual effects from that with muscle wasting. Doctor online gave me a but of lab work that I should get including ck levels, serum tsh, Hbac1, and he sort of told me what these tests were but because I don't have medical insurance I can't afford these things. Has anyone out there ever experienced these problems/went to a doctor and actually got a diagnosis. Not saying that what you have is what I have but at least I know what direction I will be going in when I do have insurance and do get these done. Thanks in advance to all who answer!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: lower leg spasms/twitching/cramping/

Hi, I will give you suggestions I received that have helped some. I drink a glass of tonic water daily. The quinine is supposed to help prevent cramping. Do you get enough magnesium and calcium? When I start to get the symptoms of cramping I drink pedialyte. I get the store brand at Walmart, Target etc as it is a lot cheaper. I think I sweat so much I lose electrolytes. I hope that helps.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

KLinFL HB User

it may, and I will try it...now that I think about it and because I am in FL sweating is not an option, it is a constant. Thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
(female)

TiffanyL HB User

Possible back injury involved? I had a herniated disc that first presented as muscle spasms in my calf. Just a thought. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

Dawn023 HB User

Hi, I've just started in the last month or so with twitching of the lower leg and back of thigh. Sometimes it feels like something is crawling through my veins...weird sensation. Sometimes the calf will just cramp for a second or so.... I thought it may have something to do with air travel and the change of pressure since it started shortly after my first winter vacation. My symptoms are worse with sitting and usually in the evening, but this is when I am usually sitting or lying down.
I just finished watching Dr. Oz's show today and he talks about this symptom and suggests a Iron deficiency. Iron should be taken with orange juice to help this symptom.... Who knows it's worth looking into.
Hope it helps!

Closed Thread