It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
excellent dental health

Hi, Just in case this will benefit anyone, I decided to tell my dental story. When I was young a relative of mine told me his story of bad teeth and made major efforts to see to it that other children didn't have to suffer all the problems he had with teeth.

When he was a teenager he was on the running board and another youth who was driving took off with a start just as he was stepping off the car. He landed on the ground face first real hard and lost his front teeth with lots of blood. He had to wear a denture partial plate that always seemed to pinch or bother his gums as I was growing up. Later he had problems with other teeth rotting.

When he taught school I was there to receive instruction from a good dentist. The dentist told us that bacteria begin to work on teeth to erode them within 30 seconds of eating sweets. He also explained that if you can't brush your teeth after sweets and meals at least swish your mouth out well with water and spit it out. He said when you brush the teeth it needs to be brushed from the gumline to the edge of the tooth and then taking the brush completely off the tooth go back again and repeat the process about 10 times per tooth. Each surface of every tooth except the biting surface must be cleaned this way to prevent pushing food down in under the gumline.

In the first few years I brushed 3 times a day, at least at night before bedtime. For several (most) of my years I did not eat any sweets or desserts at all. I did use fruits. My own dentist stressed the need for flossing and so this is done every evening before bed. The school dentist explained that bacteria use any residual food in the mouth all night and work on teeth all night.

I have had only 3 fillings in my whole life I am close to the 5th decade of life.
Maybe a year ago the same relative told me that his dentist had told him that if teeth are brushed too often it can erode the gumline faster. So now I brush if I use anthing natural sweet and at bedtime or if my mouth tastes bad. The bedtime brush is done almost without fail on a regular basis and if I miss the mouth is icky in the morning.

For years I saw the dentist every 6 months with an occasional miss. The dentist said I have extraordinarily hard teeth. I also lived in Harrison Arkansas years ago where I suppose the minerals there may have helped my adult teeth right at the time they were developing. My mother also had a garden there in the rocky soil, which may have contributed to the nice minerals in my teeth.

I am sorry if this is too long a post but I hope somebody's mouth benefits as a result

Last edited by sjb; 09-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladygrey33 HB User
Re: excellent dental health

Really helpful thanks!

Closed Thread