It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2001, 11:15 AM   #1

NW001 HB User
Taking Multi-Vitamin on an empty stomach, bad?

Hi there people-
I was wondering if it's alright to take a Multivitamin on an empty stomach? Will I get a stomach ache if I do that? I am really bad at dealing with stomach aches and I'd like to avoid them as much as possible! I read the label for this Multi vitamin container I picked up at Trader Joes and it said its best to take the tablet with a meal???Does anyone know what this means? I am on a diet right now so I don't very much. In fact, I only have been eating breakfast (one small bowl of cereal with fat free coffee creamer) everyday and thats all for the day, and maybe a salad at night with vinegar and oil dressing, but thats preetty much all that I eat. I dont want to get sick so I need to take my multivitamin, right? If anyone has any advice or whatever please reply! Thanks alot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2001, 12:42 PM   #2

Brookej HB User
Re: Taking Multi-Vitamin on an empty stomach, bad?

NW001,
If you are taking a regular multi-vitamin then I doubt you will get an upset stomach by taking it without food. I can't guarantee that but that's my opinion. Some vitamins are absorbed better if taken with food so that is probably why the instructions recommend taking the vitamin with a meal. Practically starving yourself and taking a multivitamin will not likely prevent you from becoming ill if a nasty little virus decides to move into your body. Some people have great immune systems and some don't so I wouldn't depend on the vitamins to stay well. Besides, if you don't absorb many of the vitamins because you aren't eating much, then you are wasting your money and defeating the purpose for which you are taking the vitamins in the first place.
It is better to get the vitamins and minerals you need by eating a healthy diet. You may not want to hear this because you are trying to lose weight (I assume) but I don't think the diet you describe is going to help much. You are not eating enough and you will lower your metabolism. You may or may not lose weight quickly this way but you are setting yourself up for failure. If you reach your desired weight goal and then proceed to start eating a normal amount of food, you will probably gain back more than you lost because of your lowered metaolism.
Do some research into various diet plans and try to find a healthy diet by which you can lose weight in a healthy manner and absorb the vitamins and the minerals you need from the food you eat. Mabey spend the money you are spending on vitamins on a good nutrition book instead. Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2001, 04:11 PM   #3

softballmom14 HB User

I have tried taking multi-vitamins on an empty stomach before, all it got me was a very sick stomach. This is just my experience, i don't know about anyone else.
It sure doesn't sound like you are eating very much which can really be harmful,so be careful.
I also have been trying to lose weight, and have found that for me old fashioned exercise works better than anything.i walk 2 miles a day,and have found i really enjoy it. It has been about about 4 months and i have lost 14 lbs. , it may be slow to you ,but it works for me. Just take it slow.

Old 08-20-2001, 12:32 PM   #4
Inactive

vnmlln HB User

NW001 and Brookej-
The reason that the label suggests that you take your vitamins with a meal is because the nutrients are concentrated and can make some people nauseous when this concentrated food hits the stomach. It is like eating a piece of soft candy on an empty stomach which makes many people nauseous. It is such a shock load to the stomach, that the stomach reacts in that it makes one feel sick.

For many, the mineral iron taken on an empty stomach will cause a sick feeling. Any nutrient that is quickly metabolised can and does have this affect on certain people.

NW001--To lose weight, one needs to burn more calories than one takes in daily. However, EVERYONE needs complete protein each and every day of our life. If we do not ingest complete protein, our body will start to digest itself because we all need complete protein(all 9 essential amino acids) in order to survive. Unfortunately, if we do not ingest complete protein, one of the first muscles our body starts to digest, is our heart. That is why people that have used the starvation diets and diet products can end up in the hospital almost dead.

Breakfast is your most important meal of the day and should be the biggest. Eating complete protein along with plenty of fiber will help you lose weight. Of course, you will have to exercise also. The most weight anyone should take off is 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. Any diet that causes a person to lose weight faster, is very dangerous to your health.

Personally, I am what many call a nutrition and vitamin freak. However, just taking vitamins will not keep you healthy, one must change their eating habits to lose weight and to maintain health. Yes, I do use many concentrated food supplements and complete soy protein, but I also exercise regularly and eat other foods.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Old 08-21-2001, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I have read in a number of places that it is best to take your vitamins with your largest meal of the day.

Others have commented on your diet, so I will only say that, if you follow that regime for any length of time, your body will be getting so depleted that a multi-vitamin will hardly have any impact.

Closed Thread