It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
(male)

mjc1983 HB User
Dizziness, trouble sleeping, pain in body

Hello all,

I'm a 27 year old male, in generally good health (though a little overweight).

Starting approximately 3 weeks ago, I've had dizziness that essentially keeps me from functioning. I've spent the better part of the past month in bed or on the couch. I'm self-employed, and my work has suffered. I'm at my wit's end, I'm frustrated, scared, and tired of feeling helpless. Here's a list of my general symptoms:
  • Dizziness / Vertigo (I have the sensation of movement when I'm not, and I tend to feel like I'm leaning to the right side)
  • Elevated Pulse Rate (Ranging from 90 to 120 BPM) for the duration -- nearly three weeks.
  • Feeling of Discomfort / Muscle Weakness in my lower body. I can't sleep because my body just feels...strange. Ranging from feelings of leg cramps to a sort of numbness and discomfort, which often comes in "waves". Additionally both my arms often fall asleep while I'm lying in bed, regardless of which side I'm on.
  • Anxiety / Nervousness / Overly Emotional. I am constantly nervous, sweating a lot, and I get overcome with emotion and just start crying for seemingly no reason -- or due to fairly mundane things
  • Pain and weakness in my neck. If I sit up for very long I find myself resting my head in my hands, as holding it up feels tiring. Additionally I've had pain in my neck and when I move it there's this sound like crunching gravel.

The symptoms have not improved at all -- and in fact the peripheral body feelings have gotten worse, if anything. My primary care doctor initially blamed the dizziness on a sinus infection, so I've been through two courses of antibiotics. A sinus x-ray last week showed no significant sinus problems, however. I have all but lost faith in my general practice doctor and he doesn't seem to be taking these symptoms as seriously as they seem to be.

I saw an ENT last week, he's scheduled me for videonystagmography in two weeks. He doesn't seem to think there's anything seriously wrong, and said if the test is inconclusive I'll next go to a neurologist. He suspects I suffer from "vestibular migraines" but this confuses me, as 1) I don't really get headaches and 2) the problem has been constant for 3 weeks, and migraines come in episodes.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I feel like I can't function and I don't really know what to do next. I know the ENT's testing will be good to rule things out, but am concerned about the seeming neurological symptoms that have developed more recently. Is two weeks too long to wait, should I try and see someone more immediately?

Any input would be appreciated -- thanks everyone.

-Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Dizziness, trouble sleeping, pain in body

mjc1983: Have you been tested for diabetes? Some of the symptoms you list are on the diabetes list.

Hypoglycemic symptoms (low sugars) = shaking, fast heartbeat, sweating, anxiousness, dizziness, hunger, impaired vision, weakness/fatigue, headache and irritability

Hyperglycemic symptoms (high sugars) = extreme thirst, frequent urination, dry skin, hunger, blurred vision, drowsiness, and nausea.

You should also get your thyroid and adrenal glands checked. Thyroid problems can cause drowsiness and lack of energy.

See if you can get your sugars tested at a local pharmacy that might provide that service for free.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
(male)

mjc1983 HB User
Re: Dizziness, trouble sleeping, pain in body

92261:

I was in fact checked for diabetes two weeks ago when I visited an urgent care clinic. I received a blood test that ruled out a blood sugar problem as well as an infection (no elevated white blood cell count). I also received an EKG which was normal.

I have suspected a thyroid problem, and my mother is hypothyroid. Apparently the blood test at the UC didn't test for thyroid levels. I know thyroid can cause fatigue, etc, but I'm curious whether it could be causing/contributing to my other problems as well.

Closed Thread