It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
(male)

syntaxle HB User
Left ear numbness

Hey I went to London yesterday about 2 hours away to see my family, my brother's kids etc. Everything was fine while I was there, but on the way home I fell asleep in the car (somebody else was driving, smartass .) When I got home I realized my left ear was numb.

The numbness covers most of my ear except the earlobe. It also covers the area of skin behind/underneath my ear at the back; the boney area where the ear sits on. It's also very, very slightly on my neck a little bit right near my ear. The whole area is numb to all but fairly strong pain, digging into it with my fingernails or something, and even then the pain response is just a dull sensation, compared to the sharp pain I get in my right ear if I try something like that.

I figured I'ed slept on it awkwardly, but I noticed this at 11pm last night and it's now almost 10am today and there's been no change in my situation, hasn't worsened or gotten better.

It's not causing any major problems, and if I don't touch it I would barely even notice it. I'm just worried that this is the early signs of something nasty; it doesn't sound good having the left side of your head/upper neck numb for 11 hours. I havn't tried to do anything or take any medication yet.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like it could warrant big alarm bells? Is this kind of thing characteristic of something like flu or maybe even worse. It's strictly a numbness, no pins and needles or anything else; it feels like your skin would if it was very cold, just sort of numb and unresponsive.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to syntaxle For This Useful Post:
cyardley (05-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Left ear numbness

The numbness can be a sign of something neurological, but not always.

Both my ears and nose went numb last May. I've had tons of tests done and everything has come back normal.

I've now had an ENT, TMJ Dentist, Primary care doc and Neurologist all tell me it happens sometimes and should eventually resolve itself.

It is disconcerting though.

I'd say if it continues, you might want to visit your doctor. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
cyardley (05-23-2012)
Closed Thread