It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

Sligeach HB User
Nervous feeling

I have nothing to be anxious about whatsoever...

I had a baby nearly 5 weeks ago and about 2 weeks afterwards was readmitted to hospital for a couple of nights with high blood pressure. I'm on Labetalol for it. Over the last several days I have had nervous feeling in my chest and that feeling you get when your excited - like when your stomach turns over. I assume it has to be anxiety but could it be related to the blood pressure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Nervous feeling

Hi...wow lots to deal with a new baby and now this. I read up on some of the side effects, it doesn't state anxiety or heart palpitations, but it does state that it can affect blood sugar levels.

I truly think you need to call your doctor and request blood tests anyway, for whatever else could be the problem.

Are you having any back pain related to possible urinary tract infections or possible kidney problems?

How is your blood pressure at this point? When are you to go back to see a doctor related to your blood pressure?

I know exactly the feelings you're talking about...I have anxiety, but the feelings can feel like that but aren't anxiety.

I would think that any woman with a new baby would have anxiety, but normal anxious feelings of dealing, etc.

Please let us know how you're doing.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
(female)

Sligeach HB User

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any back issues, thank goodness. I get a bit dizzy every so often. I'm not sure about my blood pressure - will be seeing the doctor next week. I do notice the symptoms (headache and light head) come back when I'm getting towards needing my next dose of Labetalol. The nervous feeling is very strange. Everyone has commented on how relaxed I am as a first time mum and I do feel relaxed... a bit tired though lol.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

please get your blood sugar levels checked.

have you cut out any foods during pregnancy and now? especially carbs?

The dizzy feeling could be a few things....the meds and blood pressure, etc.

Are you supposed to document your pressure at home?

The related feelings could also be hormone related...fluctuating from after pregnancy..

Keep us updated.

q

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

Sligeach HB User

My doctor hasn't been too great to be honest. She said my BP wasn't high and when I told the docs at the hospital this, all 3 of them gasped at the same time!

My symptoms have developed... since yesterday, I have been experiencing pain in my chest (central and to the left). A bit out of breath too. Is this bp?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Not necessarily, could be a heart problem.

Shortness of breath and pain in the chest are possible symptoms of heart attacks. Symptoms in women are not always the same as in men.

If I were you, I would call my doctor and get checked out today or go to ER and get checked. It is nothing to fool around with.

It could be serious or it could be just anxiety.....you need to find out which one it is NOW.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
Sligeach (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Having babies frequently triggers thyroid disease. An dysfunctional gland can trigger the kind of anxiety and blood pressure spikes that you're having. Demand TSH and free T4 tests - both of them, not just TSH - of your doctor to see if all is well in that area.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Sligeach (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
(male)

linguist1 HB Userlinguist1 HB User

Respiratory distress is a rare, but potentially lethal side effect of labetalol. Your meds could be responsible. Ask your doctors. If your current doctor is sketchy, get a second opinion.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
(female)

Sligeach HB User

I do have an underactive thyroid, which has been under control until the pregnancy... then they upped my thyroxine. Perhaps this is the issue! Seeing doc tomorrow. Thank you all!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligeach View Post
... then they upped my thyroxine. Perhaps this is the issue! Seeing doc tomorrow. Thank you all!
Ahhhh-hah. It's typical to need a dose increase to support both you and the baby while pregnant, then it usually gets set back to where it was when it was just you. I hope it's simply that.

Closed Thread