It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

StaceyJH HB User
Mycoplasma pneumonia? Chronic low fever.... NEED HELP!!!!!

I started out with what was diagnosed as bronchitis back in November. I was prescribed a z-pack and cough syrup. I never really got over all of my symptoms. The first weekend in December I developed a horrible croup cough (not completely unusual since I do have asthma). My symptoms didn't subside so after a week I went to the doctor again. She told me she though I had pneumonia but didn't send me for x-rays. She prescribed avelox, prednisone, and cough syrup. I had been on the avelox for five days when I developed a fever of 103. I also broke out in hives from the avelox. MY pcp advised me to discontinue the avelox and sent me for chest x-rays. The x-rays were negative. I got the high fever down, stopped taking the avelox and continued the prednisone and took benadryl for the hives. I rested (nothing but work) for two weeks over Christmas and new years. The end of the first week in January, I developed a low grade fever (between 99 and 100). I still had a little cough, fatigue, and just a general sick feeling. My pcp took blood and advised it was positive for mycoplasma antibodies. She prescribed another round of prednisone and told me to take anvil for thte fevers. After completing the prednisone a week ago (middle of January) I advised I still had the low grade fever fatigue and sick feeling. My pcp prescribed me another z-pack which I finished today, January 24. I have been sick for two months straight and have had a low grade fever everyday for three weeks - what could possibly be going on? Is this from the mycoplasma antibodies? How could an antibody, not even the active disease, be making me this sick? ShoulD I be concerned? What else should I be tested for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: Mycoplasma pneumonia? Chronic low fever.... NEED HELP!!!!!

Have you been tested for food allergies?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

StaceyJH HB User

Hi thanks for the quick response! I have been tested for food allergies.... All clear... I should mention I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome as well ..... I also have other allergies (dust, pollen, mold, etc) but they are under control with zyrtec otc.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

How good is your diet?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
(female)

StaceyJH HB User

Since I have been sick, I have been eating a very balanced diet. I won't say that I'm perfect, but I try to eat all natural foods, plenty of fruits and veggies and I stay away from processed foods.

Do you think the chronic fever could be related to my diet? Would an antibody to mycoplasma pneumonia cause these symptoms?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Antibody in the blood means either you have mycoplasmic pnemonia now, or you had it at some point in the past. If you have an infection now, the blood test should have shown it, in your white blood cell count. Did the doctor mention that at all?

It sounds like you do have an infection, and one that the antibiotics aren't wiping out. The next step might be a sputum sample, possibly with a sensitivity culture to see which antibiotic is best.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
StaceyJH (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Let your doc know that you are still getting fevers. Mycoplasmic pneumonia is usually sensitive to the antibiotic in the Z-pack but if it isn't, then you need to try a tertacycline or something really strong like Cipro. Mycoplasmas are only sensitive to certain drugs so if one doesn't work, you need to try another.

My hubby got this a few years back and it was tough to get rid of. Just kept coming back and coming back. Finally, a good round of antibiotics for about 3 weeks did it. I've had it too and it can take some extra time kill.

2 rounds of a Z-pack might help but I'd ask for something different to see if that is more effective, like a tetracycline. And ask about taking it for longer than the 10 days they usually give you.

good luck.............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
StaceyJH (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

StaceyJH HB User

Thank u so much for taking the time to read and respond to my post. The dr did mention that the test showed I didn't currently have the infection, just the antibodies. I guess that is why I am so baffled by the continuing fever. Thanks for ur input I have a call into my dr and will be sure to post the outcome.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I think you have an underlying issue going on here and it's got you so run down that you can't fight your illness.
If I were you I'd find ways to cleanse my system and my surroundings and get my immune system back in check. I'd start with a 24 hour juice fast then carry on from there. You mentioned asthma...How are you doing with that?

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBunny2020 For This Useful Post:
StaceyJH (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
(female)

seantal HB Userseantal HB User

I am a lab tech and actually was exposed to mycoplasma pneumonia throught work (called "walking pneumonia" since symptoms are less severe than bacterial or viral pneumonia). The actual test for myco is a convalescent test 2 weeks after the doctor thinks you have it (they do an antibody titer level and over a certain titre means you had it, lower and they consider it exposure).

For here in Canada I beleive they treated patients with symptoms with erythromycin (stroger antibiotic than amoxicillin). I was never treated as my titre didn't go up high enough. I will say though that for 2 weeks (and I was pregnant at the time!) I had low grade fevers and body aches and pains. I would wake up in the morning and be fine, head to work and then it would start, fever, overheating, achiness. It would be all I could do to get home and crawl into bed. Once the coupld of weeks were over I was fine but it was horrible. I did manage to fight whatever off on my own.

I agree with another poster, if you still have the fevers, maybe the infection is still there and needs a stronger course of antibiotics (I have no idea what is in a z pack).

Chantal

The Following User Says Thank You to seantal For This Useful Post:
StaceyJH (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
(female)

StaceyJH HB User

Thanks Chantal! Zpack is arithromyacin but it is taken over a five day period instead of the normal 7 - 10 days.

I spoke with my doctor today and they are putting me on doxycycline 100 mg everyday for a month! I don't know if I like the idea of being on an antibiotic this long, but i suppose they wouldn't be prescribing it if they didn't think it necessary. I just hope this kicks it out of my system........

This new development leads to another question someone may be able to help with.... If the dr indicated I tested positive for the antibody but didn't currently have it, how is the antibiotic helping? Also, if I stop having the fevers do u think they will allow me to stop the antibiotic?

Thanks again to everyone for their help and well wishes.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

When I tested positive for the Lymes antibodies, but no longer had the illness, for some reason my Dr. also put me on an antibiotic for a month. Didn't make sense to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBunny2020 For This Useful Post:
StaceyJH (01-26-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
(male)

AsthmaCure HB User

Hi if you have Mycoplasma pneumonia or Chlamydia pneumonia you must take DOXYCYCL HYC 100MG and CLARITHROMYC 500MG every 12 hours for 6mo to 1yr.

Last edited by AsthmaCure; 02-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
asthma, fatigue, low-grade fever, mycoplasma