It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
(male)

strife26 HB User
Muscles locking up

I have looked online for info on my issues I am having with certain muscles and have not found much.

As of late I have not been eating a lot of food, and I workout a lot. I have about 3 protein shakes a day, and a source of carbs and a source of fat. All healthy, i.e. beans, oatmeal, rice, fruits/veggies/nuts. I am probably not getting enough carbs or protein, but I am trying to keep up and force myself to eat due to working out and needing fuel for my muscles.

Anyway, my calf muscles lock up if I work out and then try to run a comfortable pace for about 5-30 minutes. Sometimes within 2 minutes of running one of them will lock up and I have to stop.
Also, a muscle will sometimes lock up in my chin when I am trying to take a bite of something. The other day I was stuck with mouth agape for about 2 minutes because the muscle did not want to loosen up. A muscle in my foot does the same too. It leads to my big toe, and it happens pretty often. I don't know if I have a deficiency or if my food intake is too low. I used to eat french fries baked in the oven ALL the time, but since I have been trying to burn bodyfat and get cut up I have avoided potatoes, so I am losing iron. I've read magnesium is very important also in this situation, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any insight?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Muscles locking up

A lack of Potassium will cause your muscles to spasm on you also. Potassium is found in bananas, watermelons, caantalopes. You diet could use some improving. Fresh veggies and fruits in a greater quantity. Probably a good multi vitamin won't hurt either. I'm not a weight lifter-just a mom who has raised some boys....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Ibake&pray is probably right. Potatoes are a good source of potassium.

But you sound like you may be way too low for diet to correct. Call your doc and give them the symptoms and see if they can send you for a potassium level. If it gets too low, you can get very sick and even develop paralysis and it can stop your heart....muscles of all kinds don't work without potassium.

So do yourself a favor and call your doc about this. You may need magnesium too but that could make it worse as some people get diarrhea with magnesium and that lowers potassium even more.

Jenny

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would go to the emergency room right away. Someone I knew had a low sodium and all the muscles started locking up and she had trouble breathing. I have to say in this case it might not be a low anything because of the shakes. A high potassium can also cause muscles to lock up. If there has been an overabundance of nutrient because of shakes it could be a problem. Hope this helps!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
(male)

strife26 HB User

They only lock up after I work out and try to use them. I was eating at least 1 banana a day for potassium. That may not be enough, but the protein shakes I make with milk. So I get about 24 ounces of milk(2%) a day. I might go see my doc at the VA just to check my levels. If I don't work out it usually does not occur; that is why I figured it could be a lack of some nutrient I need.

Closed Thread