It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

heyla HB User
Question Can someone tell me what's causing this?

Every few months, for about 8 or 9 years now Iíve been experiencing two kinds of ďblackoutsĒ in which Iím still conscious.

The first kind occurs at random. Sometimes when I stand up or turn around, I become paralyzed and these tiny bursts of color pop in front of my eyes like miniature fireworks. And when those color-bursts fade, all thatís left is black. My heart beats rapidly and I can hear whatís going on around me but itís like my brain canít process the words/sounds. I can only move the tips of my fingers Ė everything else is stuck in a rigid pose. If I try to move, I only succeed in shifting my weight a little which tips my balance and makes me fall to the floor (I canít catch myself because I canít move, and even if I could, I canít see where the floor is). When this first started, it only lasted 2 seconds, but now it lasts about 10-15 seconds. When itís over, my vision fades back in with the same color-bursts and I can move again.

The second kind occurs when Iím in the shower or the bath. Itís similar to a heat stroke. It becomes exhausting to lift my arms, my heart starts beating rapidly, I feel incredibly hot, I have trouble breathing, then my depth perception goes away and a purplish-black haze comes over my vision (I can still see, though). I get very dizzy and weak and I have to lean against something to keep my balance. It lasts a few minutes and I can think clearly the entire time. It seems to be triggered by heat, which is why I think they might be heat strokes. But is it normal to get heat strokes in the shower (even when itís cold outside)? I told my doctor about this and he just told me to stop taking warm baths.

Also, I lose circulation to my fingers and toes at random. It could be perfectly warm inside and Iíll look down and notice that one of my fingers is completely white, freezing cold, and numb. Itís not painful, but it does concern me. Other times, the opposite will happen and my fingers will be red, warm, and feel like they have too much blood flowing through them. Again, itís not painful Ė just concerning.

Does anyone know what causes this? Iíve had an EKG, but the results were normal. I would just like to have some answers because when I ďblackoutĒ like that, I feel like Iím dying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: Can someone tell me what's causing this?

"I told my doctor about this and he just told me to stop taking warm baths."
Jeesh, I think I'd be looking for another doctor. I've never heard of anyone having the symptoms you describe. Sorry I don't have an answer. Maybe nerve problems in your spine?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

For the first issue, the most common explanation is orthostatic hypotension: Your blood pressure drops when you stand up too fast. Usually it's harmless.

For the warm baths thing, many people do get dizzy in hot baths.

For the fingers, it sounds like your peripheral circulation is a little irregular.

Overall, it sounds like you have pretty low blood pressure, maybe a little too low. Maybe you should eat more salt. (Mostly kidding about the salt). Do stay hydrated, though, to keep your blood pressure from dropping too far.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

I've had similar issues since childhood- they occur after hot showers, and when I stand up too quickly after lying down.

I believe they're related to blood pressure.

I have no idea if they're dangerous, but since I've always had these episodes and have always enjoyed pretty good health otherwise, I never worried much about them.
They happened a lot more when I was pregnant, and sometimes I felt like I would pass out in public.
When this happened, I'd sit, lean over, and put my head between my knees, and the feeling would pass.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

"I become paralyzed"

This is what would concern me. I too have had low BP dizzyness, but not paralyzed.
You are really paralyzed?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
(female)

heyla HB User

Quote:
Jeesh, I think I'd be looking for another doctor.
I did go see another doctor since I wasn't very happy with the opinion my first doctor gave. My second doctor sent me for an EKG (which came out normal) and told me to stop drinking caffeinated drinks (I did and it didn't help).

Quote:
You are really paralyzed?
Yes; I lose feeling in my whole body and can't move a muscle except for my finger tips.

A lot of people are suggesting low blood pressure, but I get my bp checked every month and it's always been normal.

Thanks for your suggestions; I'll look into them a little more.

Closed Thread