It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
health questions for people who wear belts or tight clothes or tight bands

Hi I read in a couple books that it is not healthy to wear tight clothes, tight bands or tight belts. It is said it is not good even have a mark left on the skin by the clothes. So my question is this: If a person wears tight bands around the legs near the ankles from say sweats, or around wrists. what sorts of health problems do they have?
If somebody wears a tight belt what health problems do they suffer from?
If a person of either gender wears tight underwear what health problems would a person get(besides male infertility)?
If someone wears tight slacks what health problems do they suffer from?
If anyone wears tight shirts what problems do they have?
If a lady wears a tight dress what problems might they get?
If arms or legs are exposed to cold air (I am not speaking about frostbite)what health problems occur?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: health questions for people who wear belts or tight clothes or tight bands

For the most part, I do not believe that tight clothes are terribly dangerous to the health. The exceptions that I know of:

If a limb is wrapped VERY tightly, it could impair circulation. Normal clothing shouldn't be able to do that, and the elastic on the bottom of your sweatpants is probably harmless.

If women wear tight uncomfortable underwear, especially if it's made from a non-breathable fabric, it could contribute to infections.

Tight clothing around the abdomen can worsen GERD or indigestion.

Hands and feet exposed to cold may become dry and crack. They may also develop chillblains, which are itchy blisters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi thank-you for your response. Is it known if women die from infections in the pelvic area?
Are people dying from lung problems due to GERD?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Death of a grown woman from a garden variety yeast infection would be pretty rare, and I've never heard of it happening.

The second scenario is also rare but probably has happened at some point, I know MountainReader has had some near fatal asthma incidents partly triggered by reflux. And of course chronic severe reflux can damage the esophagus.

Still, unless someone laced up a corset so tight you can't breathe, actual death from tight clothing seems pretty unlikely.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Hi a tight corset might cause bowel problems I suspect. I wonder if people try to use those when overweight nowdays? Sometimes when they are overweight the clothes get tight from lack of resources or desire to replace them in some households I know about.

I have read that a urinary tract infection can go up the bladder into the kidneys. I suppose if the kidneys became infected a person could perish from kidney failure.
I now wonder if tight pants or even tight under wear would squish the bladder water up the ureter since in fact there seems to be no valve at the bladder in men at least to prevent it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

I too believe that restrictive clothing is not healthy, yet doctors tell people who are suffering from varicose veins to wear compression stockings. This never made much sense to me. Obviously, there is a circulation problem, so why constrict the circulation even further?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, compression stockings can be helpful when used correctly. Very tight compression, or compression which is too intense in one spot, will impair circulation, but a gentle compression all over can provide help for weak veins.

Leg veins have a hard time. When you are standing, the veins rely on contractions of the big leg muscles to help get blood back to the heart, because it's a long way up. Ever notice how standing still can make your legs feel more tired than actually walking? That's blood pooling in your leg veins.

Also, after leg or foot surgery, swelling can pool in the legs, and the veins can become "static," unable to properly return blood to the heart on their own. I know after my ankle surgery, my compression stocking really helped clear the swelling out. And wearing it felt good, almost like a calf massage.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Interesting dialogue..

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I wonder how tight they feel to the patient?

I wonder if they really contribute to leg ulcers, seen sometimes?

If it is possible for a patient to walk or move their legs at least real often perhaps this would be of benefit.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

Yes, I do understand how compression stockings might help the leg veins, but aren't these stockings being held up, either at the waist or the thigh with a tight restricting band that does constrict blood flow? I would wear panty hose if I could tolerate the band that holds them up.
Regarding bras. My mother told me years ago that she thought that wearing bras would contribute to breast cancer because they kept the breasts from breathing and would allow toxins to build up, especially when using anti-perspirants. I wonder what the breast cancer rate is in countries where the women go without bras and anti-perspirants.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBunny2020 For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi yes Thank-you for bringing this upl I think the compression stockings do make marks on the legs at the top.
I heard the same thing about bras also and quit using them most of the time years ago except when wearing thin clothing in summer on real hot days when a thick layer of clothes is inappropriate. Skinnier flat chested or smaller breasted people can probably get away with it easier than a bigger person.

Some people on the net think the lymph flow may actually be inhibited by the bras, also I read years ago that the heat may also affect it. Another factor in other places may be the type of diet used. I suspect that if a mark is left some of the skin circulation may also be affected.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
SnowBunny2020 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Regarding the compression stockings, they are very comfortable when worn when they are needed. I did not find the top band tight or restricting because it is very wide, and the stockings themselves support them, and the top band is does not need to be extra tight. Proper sizing and fitting is very important.

I have also worn the leggings while in the hospital that blow up with air to promote circulation for those having to lay down for extended periods of time. I loved those too.

When it comes to bras, I am one of the "have to wear" group. But, I make up for it by allowing many hours of free time, once I get into my home. Keeping them very clean is very important, as well as keeping myself clean and dry too. It is said that a very high percentage of women are wearing bras several sizes too small, so again, proper fitting is very important.

Overall, I lean toward avoiding anything too tight, for comfort reasons. But when it is called for, I think we can reach a balance by not wearing anything tight for a long time each day, and making sure when you do, it is properly fitted.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
SnowBunny2020 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Too tight clothing can restrict blood flow and cause an elevation in blood pressure.

Restriction of blood flow to any part of the body will deprive areas of necessary oxygen in order to function properly.

Back in the days when women wore girdles they could/would feel pressure in their head after wearing one for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Funny you should mention that, Misty, because the rise in blood pressure has positive applications, too.

1) Fighter jet pilots. The acceleration those jets can produce is beyond what the human body can endure, so we push the limits of the human component with a compression suit, to keep blood pressure up in the brain. It prevents blackout or fainting.

2) Medical emergencies in remote areas, especially postpartum hemorrhage in the third world. There, many babies are born outside of hospitals. And if something goes wrong, advanced care may be hours away. If you can't stop the bleeding, putting a patient in a compression suit can delay shock, keep blood pressure up in the brain and organs and generally buy those hours.

So, wearing tight clothing has health effects. Some are good, some are bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Thank-you for this information I enjoy information I had not heard before. Now I wonder if a woman wears a tight girdle if it leaves her more susceptible to stroke.

And Thanks Jane, I never really thought much about the compression for fighter pilots, or seat belts for folks under that context. It is good in my opinion to wear a seat belt in a car to prevent death from a person's body going through the windsheild or being thrown out of the car if the door should open, but I believe it may need to be worn loose enough to avoid any marks on skin or feeling uncomfortable.

Closed Thread