It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
weird feeling in index finger after spray painting

I spray painted some items for a few hours on Saturday. I used can spray paint (as opposed to a "sprayer") and used my right index finger to constantly press down the spray button for maybe ~2 minutes at a time with only brief breaks while I re-situated myself, turned around the objects, etc.

Apparently, the action of grasping the can and pressing the button with my right index finger did something...for a couple hours afterward it felt VERY weak, to where I couldn't even sign my name. It felt numb at the tip and slightly painful.

By the next day it was mostly normal, but there was a slight pain down the finger all the way up to my lower forearm, that I still feel when I fan out my fingers and stretch my hand outward.

I do have mild carpal tunnel syndrome (dx'ed by an NCV test last year) - would this have been aggravated by using the spray paint cans? Or, is it tendon injury?

It feels normal at rest but today while typing at work it feels a bit weird again, kinda cold, weak.

It seems weird that such a relatively minor action could cause this? Is this something more serious perhaps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: weird feeling in index finger after spray painting

I think you aggravated the tendon. It should heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

You also may have aggravated a nerve in your finger. Sometimes pressing down like that for any length of time cuts off the circulation or even bruises. It should be fine.

Best wishes....JJ....

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I think you have simply over-used it, and like with any overuse of particular muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, they become very tender until they have a chance to rest. The digits being used in fine motor skills are particularly sensitive. I have been a painter all of my life, and have run into this type "injury" many may times...mostly when I just couldn't stop painting. I used brushes, but the same effect. Soaking your hand in warm water and then doing some stretching should help.

By the way, how did the project you were working on come out?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
(male)

bg77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I think you have simply over-used it, and like with any overuse of particular muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, they become very tender until they have a chance to rest. The digits being used in fine motor skills are particularly sensitive. I have been a painter all of my life, and have run into this type "injury" many may times...mostly when I just couldn't stop painting. I used brushes, but the same effect. Soaking your hand in warm water and then doing some stretching should help.

By the way, how did the project you were working on come out?
Thanks for the help.

Today as long as I take a good 20 minute rest after typing, I feel OK. I'm in finance so I type a lot of data and numbers and such, as well as letters and reports.

The project is still ongoing...next weekend I have to do more but might switch hands or something.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Good idea! I personally paint with both hands too, on the big stuff, but need my good old lefty for the detail work.

I don't think there is any serious of permanent damage, kind of like you feel after working out too hard, but only in your finger.

Hang in there, typically it is at it's worst between 48 and 72 hours after the exertion.

Closed Thread