It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User
Any dangers to using mouthwash that has alcohol in it?

Someone was telling me that I shouldn't use a mouthwash that has alcohol in it but rather use mouthwashes without alcohol in it.

What do you all think?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: Any dangers to using mouthwash that has alcohol in it?

My husband's dentist told him not to use mouthwash with alcohol in it. Not sure why.
I, personally, don't believe in putting anything like mouthwash in my mouth, but that's just me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

A friend told me that alcohol is dangerous to the mouth tissues. You usually end up with an overall dryness in the mouth. The dryness is bad for the teeth because the natural buffering capacity of the saliva is lost for a time, making the teeth more susceptible to decay. Alcohol is also shown to be a carcinogen, especially in people with other risk factors (like smoking).

She works in a dentist's office.

Hope this helps....JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
SnowBunny2020 (03-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

I have had moments with dry mouth and it could be because of the alcohol based mouthwash. I have a non-alcohol based mouthwash and don't seem to have dry mouth.

Thanks for the posts!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i use listerine that does have alcohol in it only when i happen to have something a bit "painful" going on somewhere in my mouth. only becasue the alcohol is actually a form of an anesthetic, and so is regular drinking alcohol too. it WILL absorb into the tissues/gum areas in your mouth and help to reduce pain. it is that actual "anesthetic action" that is what actually creates the "drunk" you feel when you just are drinking ANY alcohol at all too. it affects the tissues of the cerebellum in the brain, and very slowly puts that area of the brain 'to sleep' over time and more alcohol consumption.

but for me, i LOVE listerine when something suddenly turns painful in there until i can get to the dentist. i do several swishes with it thru out the day. it could conceivably create that drying effect, but i would think that that would pretty much go away after an hour or so? its really no different than if one was actually having an alcoholic drink, ya know what i mean? i have never ever heard of alcohol as an actual carcinogen, tho it does have impact in other ways, esp the liver. FB

Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Every dental hygeinist I've ever been to see has advised against using mouthwashes.

The Following User Says Thank You to esker For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi a previous poster claimed the mouthwash had damaged the tongue. Because of the bite to it and many other strange additives I quit using it years ago. A relative of mine said wood alcohol can cause blindness, I am not sure what type of alcohol is in them but a lot of people eventually get floaters and cataracts. That is not to say the alcohol was truly the cause of that though. I just prefer natural things from vegetation, small bushes and trees to put in my body. Some things are absorbed in a very short time particulary the alcohols which are not good for the liver and brain anyway. Warm water may be good enough.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I do use a mouthwash especially if I have a cold but not on a regular basis. Of course I think if we looked at everything we use, including toothpaste and a million other things there is some fool (bad) thing in almost everything. Ever get the feeling that sometimes you just can't win?

Yes it's great to try and go natural but sometimes things aren't always available. Oh well, to me anything I eat or use I do it in moderation. Of course there are things I totally avoid when I find out it is very harmful.

Have a great day folks.....JJ....

Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Alcohol has been found to be a major cause of throat and mouth cancers. The American cancer society suggest you not use any mouth wash because of this reason..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardenandcats For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-09-2011), sjb (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i don't know what kind of dentist would tell their patients NOT to use ANY type of mouthwash at at all since there are just sooo many out there now that do not contain ANY traces of alcohol these days. i use, everyday that act restoring mouthwash that WAS recommended by my dentist and the endodontist i have to see once in a while too. this one has no alcohol and is supposed to help with our teeth and the areas around them esp as we get older and lose alot of the good stuff that helps protect our teeth and the surrounding tissue too. as we age, that old saying 'long in the tooth' is an actuality in that our gums just DO start to slowly pull up/down away from the teeth over time and expose more of the 'inner" areas surrounding the bases of teeth and exposes to some level the actual nerve too. i started using the act along with the sensodyne toothpaste about two years ago and things do feel better for me personally. i also have a tendency to develop wierd pain syndromes on the right side of my mouth with just having sympathetic nervous system damage on that side of my whole body. this combo helps tons. if you have ANY real tooth/teeth sensitivity that just occurs as we age, the sensodyne works ten times better than that biotene stuff, just an FYI.

i really have 'felt' a difference for me as far as the senitivity goes. sj, they would NEVER ever put any type of wood alcohol in ANY product ment to be used on or in the human body since it IS that toxic. garden, while i can see the cancer society not recommending alcohol based mouthwashes, i would not think that would include the many many non alcohol based mouthwashes they now have availiable included in that statement?

i would imagine that using an alcohol based type of mouthwash AND simply drinking alcohol based beverages would both be in the very same risk catagory. everything IN moderation. but i'll tell ya, listerine DOES help for many lil mouth owies we can end up with as far as minimizing the pain factor goes. i would still use it for THAT, just not an every single day thing? and i personally do not drink any alcohol at all anymore.

there just are many many different choices/brands of good mouthwashes out there now that have absolutley NO alcohol in them at all anymore. i would be willing to bet that there are probably way more non alcohol based than alcohol based types now, so one does not HAVE to "only" choose alcohol based ones anymore. its always good to have options availiable. FB

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

My husband uses the Sensodyne and has for years and yes, it makes a big difference. I haven't tried the Act but will look into it next time shopping. I guess it is a case of READ the labels for ingredients.

Enjoy your day....JJ...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

just a quick FYI having to do with the absolute BEST way to use sensodyne that for some insane reason is NOT actually listed on its own label? my endo told me to brush with it, but instead of simply 'holding it' in your mouth like it states on the label, he said to swish the stuff around in your mouth(after you get a good amount of foam going, or when your 'done' with all brushing) like you would with any mouthwash. it just really helps it to get into the much smaller/more recessed areas by that more powerful 'swishing action". i WAS using it the other way and it really did not appear to work as well. and thats when he told me to swish instead, and it DOES make much more of an impact this way. kind of logical ya know, just 'forcing it' into areas vs it 'lying there"? i swish for about one minute, spit it out, then do NOT drink anything, (ESP even rinsing out your mouth with water like you would normally do with other toothpastes) for at least a half hour or so. this just allows the sensodyne to work its best even AFTER your done brushing. it really DOES make all the difference in just getting the BEST out of this type of desensitizing toothpaste.

after that half hour, thats when i use the act mouthwash, esp when i am going to be going to sleep after this round of brushing. it helps protect/do its work all night. FB

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Very helpful info. so thanks for sharing. I know hubby's dentist told him not to drink anything for awhile after as well. Don't know about the "swishing" but will pass it on. Going to look into the Act too.

Have a good day....JJ...

Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi EDC one more thing I have learned is that flouride is said to cause nervous system and even brain damage. I suppose if a toothpaste has this in it the same result could occur only faster because it is in liquid form. If a particular toothpaste had an ingredient in it that has an effect of decreasing mouth pain in some way then obviously it had an effect on the nerves in the mouth. In my opinion then it could affect the nerves elsewhere merely because it can be absorbed in the system. Alcohol from a mouthwash afterward would merely make the substances enter the body faster in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

I feel like only using products from the natural store. Regardless, I believe I have purchased my last bottle of alcohol based mouthwash. . . . . and may not even buy others.

Along with this topic, . . . many times, in order to keep from getting cavities, I like to chew suger free gum after I eat. Because of the artificial sweetner, this ALSO may not be a good idea. What is my option? Can just "swishing my mouth out with warm water" clean out the food particles?

Closed Thread