It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
(male)

Derrewyn HB User
Years and no diagnosis

So I'm at my wits end basically. I won't make this too long, but since the time I hit puberty I have not been the healthiest person. I used to regularly get palpitations, I'd be out of breath and my weight was far below normal for a male of my age and height [6' 2.5" 145 lbs currently] (especially when compared to my brothers); since then I've been diagnosed with depression and am taking medication for it, however the symptoms have not disappeared (though my doctors would suggest they are all symptoms of depression - I remain unconvinced). Blood tests and urine tests have come back negative for anything so far. Though when I was younger (15 or so) apparently I had mono and my doctor hadn't told me, it just came up in passing in a follow-up a few months later; I've also had three surgeries (none of my five other brothers and sisters have had any) for hernia repairs and a hydrocelectomy. My dad has celiac disease, and I was convinced that was what it was however I had a blood test and that too came back negative. So here are my current symptoms that have been plaguing me for years...any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Symptoms:

brain fog - poor concentration, memory, difficulty finding words (probably the most frustrating symptom being a university student)
dark circles under eyes
redness around eyelids
dry, bloodshot eyes at least once a day
extremely dry skin
bad smell in nose
dripping nose
clearing throat after eating
bad breath (almost cheesey smelling in some cases)
worsening teeth (I take good care of my teeth but they are wearing down at an alarming rate)
tooth pain / sensitivity
muscle, joint pain (my calves, neck and back)
intermittent muscle weakness
odd urine and skin smell - (I noticed after drinking coffee for instance my skin will give off a musky odor)
broken capillaries on nose and under eyes
minor skin rashes on arms
pin ***** red dots that disappear and reappear with pressure throughout my body

I should mention I'm (turning) 22

Thanks

Derrewyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: Years and no diagnosis

Have you looked seriously at ALL possible food allergies? Your symptoms sound so much like what my grandson went through. He is allergic to all dairy, eggs, wheat and a ton of other foods. Have you had allergy tests? Have you kept a food log to compare how you feel to what you're eating? Has your thyroid been checked? It sounds like an immune problem that is running your system down. Just need to be a detective and find the root cause.
As I just mentioned in another thread, eating sweets causes depression with me. What's your diet like? Just a thought.

Last edited by SnowBunny2020; 03-14-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sorry, but all those symptoms do not sound like just plain old depression. What specific tests have they done on you? Something is going on and someone needs to get to the bottom of it.

As SnowBunny said, could very well be some allergy type thing either to food or something your around and don't realize it affects you, or an immune problem. Some Dr. needs to run tests to see exactly what is going on.

Hopefully you get some answers....JJ....

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Tell me, how tall are your parents and siblings. Also are your fingers longer and thinner than of your brother and father. One more, look in the mirror and see if you think the roof of your mouth is high.
James
Well you are minimally taller than your parents so in that way there is nothing abnormal. You are underweight compared to others these days but that is no great worry. Perhaps having being diagnosed with depression eveything else gets blamed on that. I asked about your height, fingers and mouth because some genetic syndromes present themselves this way. You may be having some connective tissue problems with what you describe. If I were you I would get an appointment with a endocrinologist or a geneticist.
James

Last edited by james079; 03-16-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi is alcohol used?
Have liver function tests been done?
What is the diet like?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
(male)

Derrewyn HB User

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have considered allergies as a possibility and will bring it up with my next appointment. Also sjb I rarely drink (maybe once or twice a month) and my last liver function test was a little high but my doctor shrugged it off. As for my diet I was a vegetarian for 10 years, I started eating meat about half a year ago. My diet is fairly good for someone my age and a student, I incorporate as many fruits and vegetables as I can in a day, and I avoid all junk food. I've also stopped eating dairy (or tried to anyway) to see if that helps the breath and the PND.

*As an interesting side note, I found that my acne (which I've had for half a decade or more ~ moderate) has all but disappeared since I switched away from a vegetarian diet. My diet hasn't really changed much, except I've incorporated meat in my usual meals.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
(male)

Derrewyn HB User

My parents are both fairly tall: mom five-ten and dad just over six feet; my brothers are all over six-one, my older sister is very short and my younger sister is still a kid, but tall for her age. My fingers are definitely thinner than all 3 of my brothers; I don't necessarily know if they are longer. As for the roof of my mouth it seems average; maybe a little high...it's difficult to tell I have an extraordinarily small mouth (as my dentists like to point out every appt). Why what are you thinking?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi When the abbreviation PND is used I understand this to be postnasal drip?
I would use a real warm cloth on it for a minute then cold 30 seconds and alternate that 4 times, ending with cold and resting for an hour I might do in the evening before bed.

What medicine is used for the depression?
Have any kidney function tests been done?
Is plenty of water taken in, about 9 cups for 145 pounds?
I happen to think the meat in a relative's breath has contributed to bad breath from the bacteria the meat contains.

Closed Thread