It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

Musikal HB User
Unusual thirst and poor diet, please help guys.

Firstly, thank you for taking your time to view my thread, and any suggestions are welcome.

About 4 months ago, I woke up one morning with an unusual thirst and unwelcome taste. I got on with my day thinking it was just a one-off occasion, and all would be back to normal the following day. Since then, my condition has just worsened.

Starting off, I would drink a large amount of liquids throughout the day, say 1 glass of juice before college, around 5 bottles of juice/fizzy drinks/water during college and around another 4/5 cups/glasses of liquids when I got home. I also have to take a bottle of water to bed with me so when I wake up in the night, I have a drink to clear my throat and get rid of the sickly taste in my mouth.

After about 2 and a half months of this, I slowly lost my appetite for food. I wasn't feeling hungry because of the amount of liquids I had consumed. However, without these my throat was simply too dry to consume any sort of solids. On an average day now, it takes me until about 1pm in the afternoon for me to feel hungry. As I've gone around 6/7 hours without a drink during the night, my mouth and throat become unbelievably dry which means I must drink a lot in the morning to cure this. I find it difficult to even consume 3 meals per day, and the only foods I can eat without feeling full are fruits such as pears due to their juicyness which acts as a liquid during eating.

On a morning when I wake up, if I don't have some juice within around 10 minutes, I'll start to feel really sick and will often vomit. This feeling of sickness even if I do have a drink has plagued me every morning during this spell, and I've been sick at least once a week since it began. I also become fatigued very quickly these days, and my level of fitness has dropped tenfold. I used to exercise every day and be really fit but I've had to stop playing football because I simply can't cope with the physical demands anymore. This condition is just killing me, not literally I pray.

I've been to see my GP twice during these last four months. The first time he recommended that I suck on mints during the day to build up saliva in my mouth and cure the dryness. This didn't work at all, and at times made me even thirstier. The second time I went over there, a different GP prescriped me some Omeprazole capsules to take on a morning. I don't quite know why she prescribed me them, but they didn't work either.

I feel like I'm running out of options to hopefully cure whatever it is that is wrong with me. I just want my normal life back where I don't have to constantly think about drinking and when the next time I'll have to run to the bathroom is.

Please, if you feel you can suggest anything, don't hesitate to ask. I really appreciate it if you took the time to read through this, I know it's not the most exciting of tasks, but it really means a lot to me. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Unusual thirst and poor diet, please help guys.

Have they done any blood work? Checked for diabetes?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
(male)

Musikal HB User

I have been checked for diabetes, and my GP confirmed I don't have it.

I haven't had any blood tests though.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

I don't understand why your GP seems to be dismissing this and suggesting lozenges.
There is obviously something wrong. You don't just wake up one day and are that thirsty. Just a thought here...I don't drink soda, but recently have started drinking a fizzy grapefruit juice and I can't believe how thirsty it has made me. Once I start drinking it, I can't stop, feeling very thirsty. If you find a solution, let us know so we can file it away.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Have you been tested for allergies? Do you have alto of phlemgn? It sounds like allergies, which can leave you dry becasue you are sleeping with your mouth open during the night. The nasty junk can also cause the nausea... just a thought.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
(male)

Musikal HB User

No I haven't been tested for allergies, but I'm off to see another GP on Tuesday, so I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi did the GP do a urine glucose test is that why he says there is not diabetes present? I would try a little papaya for appetite and see if that helps appetite. I would make sure it is yellow not green and that it is a bit soft and not hard. The apple might also be useful since it is said to be good for about 5 different systems. Whole grains are said to be good for many systems of the body so they should be used. If bread is homemade without baking soda it might be healthier than the types which have many additives and preservatives.

Last edited by sjb; 03-18-2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: additions

Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
(male)

Musikal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi did the GP do a urine glucose test is that why he says there is not diabetes present? I would try a little papaya for appetite and see if that helps appetite. I would make sure it is yellow not green and that it is a bit soft and not hard. The apple might also be useful since it is said to be good for about 5 different systems. Whole grains are said to be good for many systems of the body so they should be used. If bread is homemade without baking soda it might be healthier than the types which have many additives and preservatives.
I'm not fully sure if it was a urine glucose test, but I remember him saying to me ''I highly doubt you've developed diabetes, if you were 50 years old, then you might have...''. This puzzled me, but he's the professional, so I just accepted it.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
(female)

chatty kathy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikal View Post
I'm not fully sure if it was a urine glucose test, but I remember him saying to me ''I highly doubt you've developed diabetes, if you were 50 years old, then you might have...''. This puzzled me, but he's the professional, so I just accepted it.
to properly diagnose and/or exclude diabetes, your doctor needs to do blood work. excessive thirst is one of the symptoms of diabetes.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi with diabetes insipidus a person can be a mere youth with diabetes. I think I would go to a different better doctor.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I don't understand him saying he HIGHLY doubts you have Diabetes unless he actually tested for it. He would have to do some blood work and an A1c to totally rule it out. Did he even check you with his meter in his office?

Glad your going to someone else, this guy sounds too passive!

BTW..Omeprazole is a med. used for Acid Reflux and Gerd & Ulcers.

Best wishes and get back to us if they find the problem...JJ..

Last edited by JJ; 03-18-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
(female)

bimik HB User

Get checked for diabetes. Acid reflux can make you thirsty. I also drink very much water. This is because I have LPR, acid reaches my throat and causes chronic pharyngitis. So my throat is mostly dry. Try wet saunas and humidifer, if your do have LPR.

Closed Thread