It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
(male)

mrhypo HB User
Unhappy chronic right rib and shoulder pain

Hi haven't been on in a while. 60 year old male, ex heavy smoker. A week ago I couldnt sleep suddenly with gnawing pain under my ribs round to the front on the right and under my right shoulder blade. Saw an emergency doctor who said it was something muscular - NOT gallbladder or liver or pancreas related. I do have a slight curvature of the spine. The pain has only got worse, and painkillers (ibuprofen) don't help. I saw another doctor who has put me in for a chest xray which I ad two days ago. Expect results in the next few days. Very scared now as I am convinced it is LUNG CANCER. But she did repeat it was very probably muscular, especially in the light of my mild scoliosis and that I was 'listing' to the right. Also I do, as a writer, spend a lot of time at my pc, probably not sitting properly. Could it just be that? I always think the worst, hence my name. I don 't seem to have any of the other 'classic' symptoms of lung cancer. Any thoughts to reassure me?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: chronic right rib and shoulder pain

How fit are you? What is your muscle tone like? How much exercise, especially stretching are you doing? My thought's, too, are it's muscular, probably due to your back problem.
Until my mother had a stroke, which affected her back, I had no idea how large of an effect the nerves in our spine had upon our body. I know men don't like to do this, but I think Yoga might really help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBunny2020 For This Useful Post:
mrhypo (03-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why was the docotor so convinced it wasn't gallbladder? Did they do an ultrasound?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
(male)

mrhypo HB User

no - no ultrasound - just the doctor's opinion. She said if it was gallbladder it would present as pain elsewhere in the abdomen, not just round the back under the right shoulder.
Got to say its even worse tonight.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
(male)

mrhypo HB User

thanks snowbunny - got to say i HOPE its just muscular - I'm not as fit as I should be and spend far too much time (my job) hunched over the computer - try to look after my posture but often forget.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
(male)

mrhypo HB User
Unhappy Re: chronic right rib and shoulder pain

have now had pain beneath my right rib and under my right shoulder blade for two months. It gets worse as the day goes on. Sometimes it is like I am carrying a knife there, but mostly its just a gnawing with the occasional sharp stab. It does not affect sleep, and in fact it sort of goes away when I am lying down. Have had blood tests (including liver function) all okay - also a chest Xray (fine). No jaundice, no weight loss. I do have a lot of gas, and sometimes runny stools. Tried some physio and even some acupuncture, but both seemed to make it worse. Finally I went on my insurance to see a consultant gastroenterologist who two years ago performed a colonoscopy and an endoscopy, and found a benign polyp which he removed and also diagnosed diverticulosis. He tapped me on the ribs and they felt sore. He said it could be muscular or skeletal, but also said he wanted to check out my lungs again and my liver. So I went for a CT scan a week ago. I can't see him to discuss the results for another week! I am of course very VERY worried, and the worry itself makes me feel weak and sick. Naturally I'm thinking cancer - of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas? Any thoughts anybody?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Shoulder pain and right side rib pain are classic gallbladder symptoms.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

Your first doctor who dismissed the gallbladder as the source of your pain seems to have used a faulty rationale -- it doesn't have to present as anything other than URQ and shoulder pain. It seems like a very possible explanation. Does your pain have any relation to eating? In other words, does it tend to occur after meals? If so, that points strongly to the gallbladder. Otherwise, it may be musculoskeletal.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
(male)

mrhypo HB User

I haven't noticed it get worse after meals. It's just pretty much there all the time, getting worse like I said as the day goes on. I thought gallstones pain or any kind of gallbladder pain was more intermittent than this - going away sometimes and then coming back. I'm just hoping it isn't the LIVER, like my gastro consultant said it might be. Liver diseases have a poor prognosis. Anyway all suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Closed Thread