It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

pinchbeck HB User
Why do I get 8 - 12 colds each year?

This has been ongoing for years. Last year I suffered from eight upper respiratory infections which includes influenza. My illnesses last between ten to fourteen days.

This year (2011) I have been sick twice and am currently in day twelve of an URI (the flu) that has developed into an ear infection.

I am at a healthy weight, eat healthy, take multi-vitamins, and a herbal supplement called astralagus.

Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User
Re: Why do I get 8 - 12 colds each year?

If you've been checked out by your doctor for things like Mono and nothing has been found, then I think you are coming into contact with or eating something that is running your immune system down. Have you tried going completely off of dairy for a few months? Remember sugar is murder on the immune system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

pinchbeck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny2020 View Post
If you've been checked out by your doctor for things like Mono and nothing has been found, then I think you are coming into contact with or eating something that is running your immune system down. Have you tried going completely off of dairy for a few months? Remember sugar is murder on the immune system.
I haven't considered Mono. I know sugar is bad, but I still consume it. My bf eats take-out every day, drinks carbonated beverages, and smokes and he only gets sick once per year. When I was bedridden with the flu nine days ago, my children didn't catch it. So, I of course I am baffled and glad they didn't get it!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

When your sick do you go to the Dr. and does he/she put you on an antibiotic? Some Drs. overdo with antibiotics and our system just rejects them after awhile, especially if they are the same ones. If it's a viral thing an antibiotic isn't going to help anyway. You also have to remember to finish the entire doseage or it will only come back stronger.

Along with cutting way back on sugar have you ever taken a Probiotic Acidophilus? My Dr. put me on them a couple of years ago while taking an antibiotic due to getting Diarrhea but I take one almost everyday to help my immune system, so far this year I have done fairly well with just one cold.

What kind of blood work has your Dr. done to rule out anything serious? Hope you get to the bottom of it all, as it sounds like your immune system is very run down.

Best wishes and feel better...JJ...

Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Do you possibly have asthma? I think getting checked out by a respirologist would be a good thing.

I have taken a product called Healthmune daily pretty much since late fall...I haven't been sick with a cold since October which is a FIRST for me.

As well..when you're sick consider to take L-Lysine 1000 mg twice daily as soon as you get any symptoms.

Oh, you can also try a neti pot...

Make sure you keep your hands out of your mouth, eyes and nose. We passively touch those areas many, many times a day without realising.

Wash hands often...

Blow your nose often.

Change your toothbrush once a month and after each cold.

Get bloodwork done, liver enzyme testing, thyroid..etc.

Hope you feel better soon,
quincy

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Do you work with children, especially young ones. If so, you may be catching germs from the little cute kids. Children are precious, but, they are little germ factories.

My daughter works in a daycare and stays sick with upper respiratory infections one right after the other.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi One person had a cold every two weeks until they cut the sugar completely out of the diet then it slowly improved until there was only about 2 a year roughly.

The white blood cells are slowed down in their phagocytosis by a huge percentage when sugar is consumed. I think if I remember correctly that one doctor said that if as much as 24 teaspoons of sugar are consumed it cuts the immune system by about 90% and if they consume that much one might as well just go right home and go to bed!
Many deserts have this or more than that in them without even counting the sodas etc. that have hidden amounts of sugar in them. Even canned fruit may have added sugar.

Closed Thread