It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Bronchitis? Persistent fever.

About 3 weeks ago, my entire family started coming down with some nasty upper respiratory tract virus/infection. Lots of coughing, fevers, headaches, etc.

Took my youngest child in to the doctor 4 days ago, and he tested positive for strep: so he is on an antibiotic. My 7 year old is also on antibiotics, and my wife was diagnosed with a sinus infection: more antibiotics.

I was the last one to get the illness, and it has hit me harder than any of them. Went to the doctor a few days ago, and she suspected strep and bronchitis, even though my swab came back negative. gave me antibiotics.

Since then, I've developed a fever that has gone on for 3 days straight. If I take aspirin, it goes down, but when that wears off, the fever goes back up. I am coughing a lot, although the discharge is clear. I have congestion and headaches.

I'm not sure what is going on here: I am taking a ton of medications, but I don't seem to be getting better. Other members of the family have improved, but they still cough. It's been going on for weeks.

Has anyone been through anything like this? Is it normal for bronchitis? Should I be worried about something else?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Bronchitis? Persistent fever.

Trust me...there is something going around that knocks you right on the old bottom! Almost everyone around here has the same thing, on going cold and a cough that just won't give up. My husband started with a cold over 2 weeks ago and even though he has no fever he was plugged up something wicked and now still has the cough. Somedays it isn't too bad but there are days he coughs till he is worn out.

My oldest son who lives in FL. and is a Cardio nurse had it last month, was on antibiotics twice for upper respiratory infections and even though everything cleared up the cough went on for weeks. He told me this is the sickest he can ever remember being and half the hospital staff has it too.

Try to rest as much as possible, take vitamins and feel better...JJ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

Yes! This bug hit my whole family and it hit hard. One ended up in the hospital. We are an extremely healthy family, eating only organic foods etc. The symptoms are the same as you described. We did find that taking the OTC meds actually prolonged the symptoms. As much as you can, you need to let the body do its thing. Let the sinuses run and drink warm lemon water and honey to sooth the throat. A humidifier seemed to make the babies worse. Going out in the cold is a bad thing.
Do what you can to improve the immune system. Above all else. STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR IN ALL FORMS! Eat oranges, not the juice as it's too much sugar. Sugar will literally murder your immune system. Eat raw and steamed veggies and chicken soup (with no MSG). Homemade is the best. The antibiotics you are taking will mess up your system, but you have no choice with Strep. Take a GOOD probiotic (not yogurt) to counter the antibiotics. I can't think of much else. Just find ways to improve your immune system. This bug seemed to hit the older people the hardest because their immune systems were not as healthy as the kids. Good Luck and stop back by and let us know how you and your family are feeling. We care.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

JJ...Your family, too???? My husband and I were the only ones to not get it. Thanks goodness, as we ended up nursing the rest. It took literally 3 weeks for some to get over it. The kids lost so much weight, it really scared us. And like I said in my reply to OP we are a healthy bunch. I can't imagine what this bug is doing to those who aren't healthy. Where are these bugs coming from????? They just get nastier and nastier!!!!!
People have got to stop taking their immune systems for granted and get with the program.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi Sb...Ya know, I seriously can't remember any cold/flu lasting this long. Last night we went to a neighbor's house for his brother's B-day party and that is all anyone talked about. Some said they were sicker then can be while most said it was almost like an allergy, yet they don't have allergies but the cough just goes on and on till your winded.

Of course with hubby having the mild heart attack in Nov. I really need to keep an eye on him, but outside of the cough he says he feels fine, but it totally wears him out. I get the plugged up feeling and then do the sinus rinse which helps, but Lordy, enough already!

Hubby bought some Musinex and that pretty much has calmed it down some. My son very seldom gets a cold and yet like I said, he and half the staff at the hospital have had it or do have it. It's a nasty bugger...

I definately believe in taking the Probiotic. I love the Schiff brand as it is pretty inexpensive and doesn't need to be put in the fridge. Maybe if this up and down weather would clear we all might feel better.

Take care...JJ....

Closed Thread