It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User
Dimpling/Puckering Skin after Laparoscopic Surgery

I had emergency surgery for a Small Bowel Obstruction about four weeks ago. The three tiny scars on my side are healing just fine. The larger scar beneath my navel also seems to be progressing nicely, though it's naturally a little more noticeable. However, there is now an obvious dimple in the skin about 1/4 of an inch to the right of the bottom part of the scar. It's not huge and does not touch the scar itself, but it is enough to be very visible. Has anyone else had this experience? Could this be a result of the dissolvable stitches that were used to close the incision or is this a new feature on my stomach caused by some other part of the procedure? If the stitches are the cause, do you think it will go away as they dissolve and what kind of time frame am I looking at?

I know it may seem silly to worry about this, but I can't seem to get it off my mind. I would really appreciate any advice or information that you might be able to offer. Thank you very much!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Dimpling/Puckering Skin after Laparoscopic Surgery

Hi one person who had a laparoscopic surgery for another purpose used heat and if I remember correctly ice to follow on the site of the dent where the surgery was and kept at it in the hopes of making the scar less. It was continued until after the treatment was done there was no more observable pinkness at the surgical site. After the treatments finished there was still a dent but it was thought that because the treatments were no longer changing the scar the treatments could be stopped basically having given up. After years passed and many a health measure for other reasons the dent went away.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
bracer (03-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi..although I didn't have the same procedure you did I did have 2 cancerous moles taken off my face, one over the left eyebrow and one at the hairline on my forehead. Both left a bit of a dent and scar but after about 8 months you can barely tell they are there. Mine being on my face was a bit worrysome to me, but they are fine now. It takes some time.

Best wishes...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (03-25-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
bracer (03-25-2011), sjb (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi oh yes I want to add that later the scar itself also lessened to the point that when another doctor asked where the scar was I had to point it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

sjb...When I first saw the scars..not both were done together..2 years apart, I was like..OMG. Like the Dr. told me, he was a real kidder...he said to me, "just think, your almost getting a partial face lift"....

All kidding aside he did tell me that eventually the scar would blend in with my "laugh lines", which I told him..."you mean my wrinkles".

It was not a very pretty site the first 3 weeks but now even I can hardly tell where they were.

Have a great day...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-25-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User

I really appreciate your kind words and advice. It means a lot when someone takes the time to think about another's problems, even when the problem doesn't seem so big.

Do you have or know someone who has experienced a "dimple" off to the side of the scar after having surgery using dissolvable stitches? It's almost like the surgeon ran a stitch through something that is now pulling down the skin just off the side of the scar below the navel. It really looks like the dimple is pulled in, down, and towards the scar (the edge of which is about 1/4 of an inch away). I feel good about the scars fading with time, but the dimple is pretty obvious all by itself.

Do you think there's reason to hope that when all the stitches dissolve, the skin will "release" ? I can feel a firm, thin something that goes horizontally under the skin from the scar directly to the dimple. I can actually feel it on both sides of the scar, but only have the dimple on one side. It's been one month now -- the stitches won't have dissolved already, will they?

Thanks again. After spending some time on this board, I can see there are many special people around here. This is a nice place for those with questions or troubles, regardless of how big or small those problems might seem. I hope I can help someone here, too.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had the puckering affect for awhile as well. They had told me that sometimes the stitches might not totally dissolve and you get like a small teeeeny bumb there within a week or 2..well mine didn't show up for 2 months. I had to go back and they just poped the little red spot open and pulled the rest of the stitch out, no big deal.

I really think with a bit of time yours should do fine. I know what your trying to discribe as it kind of looked a bit weird to me for a few weeks too, and mine was on my FACE.. Oh well, all in good time it smoothed out. Everyone is different so it might take you a bit longer or who knows, by this time next week you will see a big difference. Don't forget too, we are so aware that it is there we may see something noone else does.

Yes there are some great helpful folks here. We all basically come here cause we have had or do have a problem, and it is nice to get a kind work or some advice.

Keep us posted how it is going ok????....JJ....

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bracer..I meant to ask you something. Did you get, or have numbness around your wound? After about 3 days I still noticed I had very little feeling about an inch wide and an inch deep on my head..felt really weird like Novacaine wearing off. I asked my son as he is a nurse down in FL. about it and he said it probably won't return for almost a year........When I went back to the Dr. I asked him and he told me..YUP, listen to your son. Kiddingly I just said to him.."Oh, so technically I'm a BIT of a numbskull".... he just taped me on the head and said.."YUP, you got that right".

It really did take over 10 months before I got total feeling back. When I would wash my hair or brush it I can't tell you how weird it felt. Oh well, it's back now and I hope I never go through it again but my Dr. was not only good, he had a great sense of humor as did his staff.

Enjoy your day...JJ...

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

JJ... Nope, no op-site numbness problems with this or any other surgery (two back and one eye), thank goodness. I bet that was mighty disconcerting. Did you notice as the feeling came back or were you just brushing your hair one day and realized that something felt a little different up there?

A good sense of humor sure can make a difference. Like having a positive attitude, being able to relax and enjoy life is great for the health. Sounds like you (and your doctor) have both.

I'll follow your example and have some patience with this little issue of mine. After all, my complications could have been much worse. Dimple or not, I think I got off lucky this time around (though it sure was scary in the ER that night).

Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there...It was really more annoying then anything else to be honest. I just noticed gradually it was getting less and less plus where I lost some hair it was sticking out like a stupid wisk broom........Thank goodness for bangs on the forehead.

Oh trust me, if my Drs. don't have a bit of a sense of humor I dump them. Guess I have been lucky as I have only come by 2 that were not of my liking at all. Even hubby's Drs. and nurses at the VA are a trip, and of course with all his trips there lately they know me well, so it's a win/win situation.

My Drs, know I am the nervous type so when any recommend anyone to me, they always seem to get me really good ones with senses of humor as well, it helps.

I'll bet it was scary, as I know darn well I was a basket case when I went for mine. After they removed the first layer and I had to go sit and wait I asked the nurse if I could see it. She was a bit reluctant but she did hand me a mirror. I looked at it and told her.."Sheesh, I look like someone out of CSI with a bullet hole in her head". All I could think of was..how are they going to make that huge thing look normal, but he did. Took awhile, but it's fine.

Hope you stick around and keep us updated on how it is going, just give it some time.

Best of wishes....JJ...

Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
(female)

londonpixie HB User

Hi bracer! I have exactly the same thing as you. I had laproscopic surgery three weeks ago and have a dimple on my hip about half an inch from the largest incision (which is healing ok). It feels hard under the skin like there is dissolvable stitches pulling the skin down and causing the 'pucker' but they don't seem to be dissolving! It's slightly uncomfortable as some movements cause a pulling sensation and it's really obvious especially when I bend forward as it makes a ridge in the skin above.

I asked the nurse when I had my surface stitches removed and she seemed to think it would go when the dissolvable stitches went, but nothing so far...did you find out any more? Is yours still visible?

thanks! LP

Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Hi bracer it must've taken about 6 months or so for mine to dissolve, I can't remember now but there was a black thing there for quite awhile.

Last edited by sjb; 05-20-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo at post

Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

LP:

Sorry about not responding earlier - you may not need this info by now. Anyway, the dimple did go away. I revisited my surgeon and he said that it could take as many as 4 months for the stitches to dissolve and the "pucker" to disappear. He told me that should it not be gone by then, he could fix it with a quick procedure in his office.

Well, about 2 weeks later (so about 6 weeks post-surgery), I noticed that the pucker had started to flatten out. By the next evening, it was completely gone, except for a little red spot right where the pucker had been. It's been 12 weeks now and there is no sign at all that there was anything ever there. The three tiny laparoscopic scars themselves are really hard to see and the larger one has faded quite a bit. The doctor told me to avoid harsh sun for about a year to prevent darkening of the scars, but otherwise, everything is just fine.

I hope things are working out for you.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yup...that's about the time it took for mine to fade. I still have a VERY light smooth area there but hardly noticeable. I just got back from having what looked like a wart on my lower right jaw frozen off. Well I also pointed out about 4 more brown spots that concerned me so by the time he was done...I had 10 removed today. Lucikly all could be frozen off....YAY!!!

Of course now they are all red, especially the 4 on my neck so I look like I got bit by a bunch of mosquitos. Oh well, as long as I didn't need surgery I know these will heal over in a couple of weeks. I've gotten VERY paranoid ever since my first 2 surgeries, so when I see anything suspicious I go.

Glad all is healed well for you...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (05-20-2011)
Closed Thread