Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
| | I was so sure it was hyperthyroidism.. help :(
Okay, so I just got back from the Dr. after getting my TSH test results back. She said they are normal, but I have an elevated white blood cell count. I was so sure I had figured out what had been wrong with me for as long as I can remember, and I feel like maybe there is more testing that can be done. I have an extensive medical history, but these are the symptoms I've had.
I am a 23 year old female, in good shape and I eat very very healthy.
-Elevated white blood cell count.
-For as long as I can remember, I've had hand tremors. I was tested for iron deficiency, and my levels were fine.
-I have an extremely fast resting heart rate.
-I have a severe intolerance to heat, and I sleep with my fan on and window open, 365 days a year. I am always hot when everyone else is cold.
-Just recently I have had extreme cases of vertigo, sometimes taking me to the floor. I was put on anti-vertigo medication, but it is not that effective and also makes me very sleepy.
-I have insomnia, and I am always having to take over the counter sleeping pills, otherwise I will not fall asleep until 7am.
-I am winded easily, despite being in shape.
-My hair is very straight and fine, but randomly I will develop these almost nappy patches of hair, completely kinked, as if it were African American hair. I will also randomly get very greasy hair at the crown of my head, that does not go away with washing. I had to attack it with dish detergent, mouth wash and baking soda to make it go away!
-I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 12
-I am ALWAYS thirsty and always have a water bottle with me.
-I have very fine hair that frequently falls out very easily.
-I sweat fairly easily.
-My skin is always itchy. This keeps my up at night because I am always having to scratch, or move.
-I have a strong light sensitivity.
-I always am bouncing my legs, or doing some other nervous tick.
-I can be extremely irritable, when I have no reason to be.
-I have tendinitis in my wrist (which was said to be connected to hyperthyroidism sometimes)
-Last year I had a 7mm kidney stone and spent 4 days in the hospital, and had a stent inserted between my kidney and bladder and as I said, I eat very healthy with a low salt intake and eat very little sugar.
-I always, always get sick when something is going around, and I always get it much worse than anybody else. A cold will turn into pneumonia, which I was hospitalized for 2 weeks for when I was 11, an ear infection got so severe I was hospitalized and put on antibiotics.
-I get recurring ovarian cysts. I went to the hospital for the first one, but I now just stay home and curl into a ball until it stops hurting.
-The skin of my face is always dry and peeling despite any amount of lotion.
-I constantly feel bloated.
-My feet and hands are ALWAYS freezing cold, my feet more so then my hands, but despite that, I always feel too hot. When I get too hot, I NEED to change the temperature immediately, or I will freak out. Everybody calls me a penguin
-I have frequent yeast infections, and cuts and scratches take a very long time to heal.
-My lips are always dry and chapped.
-Constant dry mouth.
-I can go through bouts of extreme hunger, and getting hungry an hour after eatting a whole meal.
-My eyes are constantly red and feel gritty and irritated.
-I get gas pains very frequently.
-Frequent bowel movements.
I know this is a lot, but these symptoms really reduce my quality of life I just want to know what it is so I can do something about it. I take all my vitamins, I eat very healthy and am very aware of everything I put on and in my body. I do take Dexadrine for my ADD, but most of these symptoms were present before I started taking it, and they persist even when I don't take them for months. Please please please, give me any thoughts or suggestions or ideas. I am going to go back to a different doctor to ask exactly what my TSH level was, and if there is anyway that I could still have hyperthyroidism without low TSH levels. I've thought that it may be diabetes? I have a glucose meter because I am going to school to be a Medical Assistant, and we were given one. My fasting blood glucose level was 4.9 and I am going to test again in an hour, for my after meal blood glucose level.
Please, any thoughts or suggestions would help greatly. I really just want to be normal! Thank you so much if you took the time to read all of this!