It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User
Soft wrist lump, what could this be?

There's far too many choices of boards here so I figured I just put it under general

I'm fully aware that people can't give me proper medical advice, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts. I'm seeing a dermatologist about an unrelated problem in a couple of months time, so I might bring this up with him then, but for the time being just wanted to hear opinions.

On my left wrist, on the same side as the palm of the hand, about a quarter of the way down there's a small, soft 'bump' about 1cm across.

Now, the thing that concerns me about this the most is that it's definitely on the muscle.

If I clench my hand into a fist, and then release into an open palm, you can faintly see the bump move along with the rest of the muscle, and then back down again when going back into a fist.

If I put a bit of pressure on a fixed point on my wrist, and then open my hand from a fist, I can feel the bump slide past, with little resistance. The more pressure I apply the more I can feel it. I can only feel the bump when it's moving with the muscle, I'm unable to locate or feel it when the muscle on my forearm is stationary.

I've known about it for about a year, but for all I know it could have been there a lot longer. It causes me no pain, no irritation, no itching and it's not changed size or characteristics in the time I've known about it. It's just there. There's no similar thing on my right wrist.

I ask because I've not really heard any similar stories. I'm 19, nearly 20. Only similar previous medical issue was a swollen lymph node on my left bicep three years ago, which has since been examined and returned to normal.

Anything to worry about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Soft wrist lump, what could this be?

Well you might have exactly what I do...a Ganglion cyst. Do a search on it and see if it sounds familiar. I have one on my left wrist and also had one on my right back in the 80s that had to be removed. Only reason it was removed was it got big and hit the nerve and caused my hand to close and I couldn't open it all the way. Some times mine will swell and other days it is hardly noticeable but you can feel it. Feels almost like harden Jello.

If that's what it is, nothing to worry about but do have the Dr. look at it.

Take care....JJ....

Last edited by JJ; 03-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User

Well I've done a little research, and have come across Ganglion cysts beforehand, but the information I got from various sources and images was that they seem to primarily form on joints, whereas with my bump, it's more seated/set in the muscle itself.

But who knows, might be an abnormal case.

Thanks for the response all the same

Perhaps there's someone on here who's had/seen a similar issue to mine...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

its a ganglion cyst=see an orthopedic dr n will probably give u an inj or two into the cyst w cortisone and it more than likely will go away, sometimes they need to be surgically excised

Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Mine is right in the soft spot just behind the thumb. I've had it for about 15 years. Unless I really am doing something strenuos it never bothers me.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyShorts View Post
There's far too many choices of boards here so I figured I just put it under general

I'm fully aware that people can't give me proper medical advice, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts. I'm seeing a dermatologist about an unrelated problem in a couple of months time, so I might bring this up with him then, but for the time being just wanted to hear opinions.

On my left wrist, on the same side as the palm of the hand, about a quarter of the way down there's a small, soft 'bump' about 1cm across.

Now, the thing that concerns me about this the most is that it's definitely on the muscle.

If I clench my hand into a fist, and then release into an open palm, you can faintly see the bump move along with the rest of the muscle, and then back down again when going back into a fist.

If I put a bit of pressure on a fixed point on my wrist, and then open my hand from a fist, I can feel the bump slide past, with little resistance. The more pressure I apply the more I can feel it. I can only feel the bump when it's moving with the muscle, I'm unable to locate or feel it when the muscle on my forearm is stationary.

I've known about it for about a year, but for all I know it could have been there a lot longer. It causes me no pain, no irritation, no itching and it's not changed size or characteristics in the time I've known about it. It's just there. There's no similar thing on my right wrist.

I ask because I've not really heard any similar stories. I'm 19, nearly 20. Only similar previous medical issue was a swollen lymph node on my left bicep three years ago, which has since been examined and returned to normal.

Anything to worry about?

It could be a type of benign fatty cyst called a lipoma. They're pretty common, although they mostly occur in the upper arms and thighs.
It could also be, as someone else mentioned, a ganglion.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I feel I've used the term wrist a little too lightly, it's more on the wrist flexor muscles.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mine are where you would cup your hand around your wrist to take your pulse, is that the area your talking about?

JJ

Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User

No, my bump is below that area.

Say you place two fingers on your wrist to take a pulse like this

my bump as far down roughly where the doctor's little finger is, when my hand is in an open palm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulse_1250279c.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 03-29-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If your saying where his little finger is, which is hidden, that is not where mine are. Mine would be exactly where his 2 fingers are, mostly the very first finger. Now I understand what your saying.

Hope you get an answer, although it still could be a cyst..JJ..

Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User

Yes that's why I doubt a ganglion cyst is the problem, as they form on the joints, where the fingers are placed in the picture.

Thanks, I hope I find out too!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try searching for Lipoma, those grow under skin...JJ...

Closed Thread