It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

Kalvarez HB User
Low Platelet Count 87 Year Old Male

Hi,

My dad is 87, almost 88. He was taken to the emergency room on March 17th, with abodominal pain. We found out his Gallbladder was causing the problem, some of the gallstones had passed thru the bile duct and caused Pancreatitis.

After alot of tests, we found that his blood platelet count was 120 on the 19th, and he was due for surgery the next day. They tested him early at the hospital that morning to see if the platelet count had dropped, so that he may need a transfusion before surgery, but the count was back up to 134. They told us it was probably due to the infection of the pancreas and all the antibiotics he was on.

He had his surgery Monday sucessfully and didn't lose any blood at all. They told us he is very healthy for his age. He does have 50% blockage in his coratid arteries but for a man his age he's doing very well.

After surgery, he was wide awake, and looked great. He went home the very next day. He has been doing very well since.

When he left the hospital they told us to get another blood test for his platelet count in 2 weeks, since his pancreas was still inflamed during surgery, it should be better in that time. My mom took him to his regular doctor that following Friday, only 4 days after his last blood test, and they called today telling her his platlet count was down to 132.

I'm a bit concerned that there could be something else going on. I'm hoping it's still from the pancreas. Does anyone know how pancreatitis affects your platelets? He has always been so healthy, never been in the hospital, never sick really. I just can't imagine there could anything else be serious wrong. I know he is old, but my dad looks and acts like he's 65. He really does.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm worried about my dad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread