It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
(male)

b0x HB User
Question I do not know what is wrong but I hope you all might be able to help

Lots of stuff and information so I decided to throw this one in general. I am new to this forum so If I am posting in the wrong section I'm sorry. On with the novel:

I am 22 years old. I am male. I am 300 pounds and I do smoke cigarettes. I know it's all bad for me and I need to quit smoking and lose weight but I do not see this for my problem. I am 22 years old and am a diagnosed insomniac. The past month or so it has changed but not in a good way. I've been sleeping anywhere between 15-20 hours of sleep a day. Yesterday though I was up for 37 hours and then finally forced myself to sleep.

I always feel run down. I have these twitches during the day in my body in various areas and my hands shake constantly. Sometimes when I stand up I get very dizzy. I have these type of sores that open up around my waist, not very big, but it takes weeks for them to heal. No matter how hard I try I can't stay hydrated. My heart rate a year or so ago was a steady 84 and now it rests at 120 beats per minute. I have to take medication for it to bring my heart rate down and keep it from doing strange things. Sometimes it will skip beats and other times it will flutter. The one that scares me the most is when I feel a build up of pressure in my chest and then all of a sudden it feels like someone hit me in the chest it beats so hard. My vision sometimes gets blurry out of nowhere and I have trouble keeping focus. I know for a fact that I have 20/13 vision. I have trouble coming up with words and I stutter ever so often.

I've gone to doctors and they can't figure it out. My blood work says everything is A-OK except I am low on my vitamin D. I've been to a cardiologist and the only thing she saw wrong was when I was wearing a holter monitor when I woke up my heart rate jumped from 54 bpm to 165 bpm.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with me? I am tired of doctors telling me nothing is wrong. I know my body and I know something is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: I do not know what is wrong but I hope you all might be able to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x View Post
I am 22 years old. I am male. I am 300 pounds and I do smoke cigarettes. I know it's all bad for me and I need to quit smoking and lose weight but I do not see this for my problem.
Either an unhealthy diet, or an unhealthy habit like smoking can cause all kinds of health problems. There are many different health problems that can be directly related to a bad diet. Plus...... inhaling the 100 different chemicals in cigarette smoke each and every day can cause all kinds of nasty problems. Who really knows the negative impact of adding all those chemicals to someone's metabolism?!

If your doctors can't find anything wrong with you on their basic tests, and you continue to have nasty health problems, you might consider what many health professionals have published regarding the health perils of a bad diet and smoking.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
(male)

b0x HB User

I don't really smoke that much. In fact I smoke one cigarette every other day now. I really do want to quit. I still have the problems even when I don't smoke for days (which I have tried to rule it out). Eating healthy is something I have been doing for the past couple months. I have come to see that ALOT of salt is used in processed foods so I try to stay away from them. Honestly I would not have posted here if I wasn't genuinely concerned with my health. Oh and the symptoms just showed up out of nowhere and I had been smoking at the time they did. I knew that's what the first post was going to be but I promise you I am changing that stuff around. I have been working out for about 6 months now and see no changes in my heart rate or how it acts. I hope that helps.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I'm glad to hear your trying to live a better lifestyle. Have you every had a stress test done and been checked for Diabetes?

Sometimes if your Dehydrated it will cause palputations so keep well hydrated. What medication do you take for the rapid HR and is it on a daily basis or just when it happens? Do you feel like you have anxiety?

Hopefully you find out what is going on, so don't stop at just one Drs. opinion, get a second if necessary.

Best of wishes...JJ...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

get a sleep study done, it's possible you have sleep apnea and that will cause some of the symptoms that you have

Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I agree you it's possible you have sleep apnea ..Also the weight is not good and is also probably the cause of alot of your health issues

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

Texa HB UserTexa HB User

If you are ingesting artificial sweeteners, I would say stop. Drink only water, no sodas. Stop caffeine as well, that might help your heart beats a lot.

Take a Vitamin D supplement since you are low. I take 25000 IU of D3 daily, it has improved my health so much. Also you should find a good multivitamin.

Have your blood sugar checked and your blood pressure. The slow healing sores point to diabetes.

I hope you feel better. Keep us updated, we care

Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
(male)

eeb HB User

I went through pretty much the same as you. Five dAYS IN the hospital,under going test after test, thry found nothing. before being released my dr. suggested that I see a psychiatrist.Isis as he suggested.paychiatrist put me on an anxiety med.within two weeks, I was 90% back to normal. you might not want to hear this but it might be your best choice for treTMENT.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
(male)

b0x HB User

I will keep you guys posted. I do have a sleep study that has been scheduled. Everyone that thought it was diabetes, it is not. My father is a diabetic and I check my blood regularly just to make sure. As far as diet goes I do have a question for you guys. How do you guys feel about the "No eating" diet. I've tried anything else. Will it kill me if I do this under doctor supervision?

Edit: JJ I have had a stress test done and it showed nothing. I take Atenelol/hydrochlorthiodine 50/25 (I think that is how it is spelled) for my heart.

Last edited by b0x; 03-31-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well glad you had a stress test done and let us know how the sleep test goes as well. Sooner or later you will get an answer. Hopefully sooner.

As far as the no eating diet, I would strongly suggest you talk with your Dr. about that, as it could be harmful.

Take carre...JJ...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

i wouldn't do something as drastic as a no eating diet. i think if you increase your calories burned by exercizing, even walking, and decrease your caloric input by eating healthier, you will lose weight the healthy way and be able to keep it off. when you stop eating your body goes into survival mode and conserves energy, and doesn't burn the calories off. keep us posted on the sleep study!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x View Post
I don't really smoke that much. In fact I smoke one cigarette every other day now.
The 100+ chemicals from just one cigarette can stay in the body, negatively effecting the metabolism for a long time. Most people have few, if any nasty symptoms, but there are many who are very sensitive and reactive to the smoke of even ONE cigarette, whether directly or second-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x - diet
Eating healthy is something I have been doing for the past couple months.
How many calories do you eat in a typical meal and for a typical day? What are the maximum calories you eat during the day?

What is your balance of carbs, proteins, fats and alcohol?

Do you limit your foods to those with a low glycemic index and low glycemic load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x - checks blood sugar
My father is a diabetic and I check my blood regularly just to make sure.
Checking your blood sugar, while a very good idea, will not tell you if you have become Insulin Resistant due to a diet too high in high-glycemic carbs.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-13-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
(male)

b0x HB User

I limit myself to around 1800 to 2000 calories. I eat healthy food and to be honest I do not know what glycemic carbs are. As far as smoking goes I'm almost 100 percent certain it isn't them. Yes I know they are very bad for you bit I had been smoking a long time before the symptoms started happening. I understand for you all going straight to cigarettes I just don't think its that. I'm on day 4 and only one cigarette on the second day. So im crossing my fingers that this is really it. Cancer runs in my family so starting was probably not the best of ideas

As for diabetes and becoming insulin resistant, because my father is diabetic I have regular bloodwork done just to keep an eye on it. I am 300 pounds so I do have that going against me.

Last edited by b0x; 04-01-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: forgot to mention diabetes...sorry

Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

You sound like you have a magnesium defiency as well. Look up magensium defieciency I think your going to see yourself. I would suggest vit d3 gel cap 2000iu a day and in the evening, away from all and any other medicine by hours..take 250mg. of magnesium. Give it about two weeks. I hope that helps you. Very difficult to check magnesium levels unfortunately, but wow, i think you can be a poster child for magnesium deficency. Too much magnesium will cause the runs. see if the 250mg once a evening works (give it a couple of weeks to build in your system). If you start getting the runs then start on a lower dose and work up to 250mg. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Rich sources of magnesium include tofu, legumes, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, wheat bran, Brazil nuts, soybean flour, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin and squash seeds, pine nuts, and black walnuts. Other good dietary sources of this mineral include peanuts, whole wheat flour, oat flour, beet greens, spinach, pistachio nuts, shredded wheat, bran cereals, oatmeal, bananas, and baked potatoes (with skin), chocolate, and cocoa powder. Many herbs, spices, and seaweeds supply magnesium, such as agar seaweed, coriander, dill weed, celery seed, sage, dried mustard, basil, cocoa powder, fennel seed, savory, cumin seed, tarragon, marjoram, poppy seed.

Available Forms:

Magnesium is available in many forms. Recommended types include magnesium citrate, magnesium gluconate, and magnesium lactate, all of which are more easily absorbed into the body than other forms. Time-release preparations may improve absorption. you can always ask your health care provider. There is also a transdermal magnesium-spray oil that absorbs easily and doesnt cause the runs. Maybe just start with the pill at first.

Closed Thread