It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
(male)

frugaleater HB User
Swelling on one side of face

Yesterday, my Dad told me that several days ago, the left side of his face swelled up but then went back to normal the next day, only for it to swell up again the next day. The day after that, it was mostly back to normal with just a bit of swelling left. He theorized that it might be Mumps, but I thought Mumps was something that was pretty much vaccinated out of existance in the USA.

Does anyone here know what it might be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

waggswhiskers HB User
Re: Swelling on one side of face

The left side of my face swells...it is because I have a deviated septum and a nasal bone spur. Does he have a stuffy nose? It could also just be sinuses or a does he have a tooth that has been bothering him? Also when my face swells I have headaches does he? He should go to the Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
(male)

frugaleater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggswhiskers View Post
The left side of my face swells...it is because I have a deviated septum and a nasal bone spur. Does he have a stuffy nose? It could also just be sinuses or a does he have a tooth that has been bothering him? Also when my face swells I have headaches does he? He should go to the Dr.
I think he said he felt like he might have been coming down with a cold. Nothing about any tooth problems in particular, although he's mentioned some in the past, but only his lower front teeth.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

If it was mumps the swelling would stay and it would be under his jawline, like where his glands are. It could very well be from a sinus issue as you get plugged up and there can be some slight swelling. Do ask him also if he has had any tooth problem, as if an abcess is forming that would do the same thing, but normally there is pain. Hopefully he is doing much better.

Let us know how he is doing...JJ...

Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
(male)

frugaleater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If it was mumps the swelling would stay and it would be under his jawline, like where his glands are. It could very well be from a sinus issue as you get plugged up and there can be some slight swelling. Do ask him also if he has had any tooth problem, as if an abcess is forming that would do the same thing, but normally there is pain. Hopefully he is doing much better.

Let us know how he is doing...JJ...
Thank you! I think he said the swelling was more on the side of his face. I just saw him yesterday and I noticed the left side of his face was slightly puffed out more than the right. I'll ask him about the pain and any tooth problems.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yeah usually any sinus issue or tooth thing would be more on the side. If my sinuses are acting up I usually get a tad of swelling more on the cheek bone area.

Best wishes...JJ...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
(female)

august30 HB User

Hi,
i had swelling in my face on the left size that really concerned and scared me. It turned out that it was dental problems and I had to have a root canal in my front 2 teeth that had recently been veneered. The swelling disappeared after a bout of strong antibiotics. I did not experience any pain with it. I went to one doctor who diagnosed me with antitigo (sp) which was a misdiagnosis. I hope your dad is ok!!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
(male)

mgm55 HB User

could be a sialolith which is a stone in his salivary duct. the swelling comes from the saliva from the parotid gland under the cheek bone backing up from the stone blocking the salivary duct adjacent to the upper first molars in the mouth.

Closed Thread