It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
(female)

ItsMyLife486 HB User
I Think My Hectic Life Is Ruining My Health

I know everyone goes through this at some point in their life and that people are going through it now, so I looking for advice for how to deal.

I work two jobs: the first one I love and the second one I hate. My first job is as an aide in a classroom for children with autism and my second job is at a pharmacy. I have worked at the pharmacy for six years and my boss has always known that I would be one day be working in a school since I went to school to be a teacher. He always told me not to quit my night job just cut back my hours there. So that is what I did and now I seem to be getting more hours. It seems that everytime I cut my hours back the lady who does the schedule gives me more. According to her being an aide can't be as hard as I make it out to be and that I don't actually have to work. There are a lot of other issues at that pharmacy that make me not want to go there, but that is a very long story.

Almost every weekday I rush from job one to job two stopping at home for a few minutes to get a snack. If I do have time to stay home for awhile between jobs I am reluctant because if I get comfortable I might fall asleep.

Since I still live at home I have to make sure I do things around everyone else's schedule. I only have one day to do laundry so after I get home from work Saturday I am doing laundry to all hours of the night. I am unable to take showers in the morning because I would "disrupt" everyone, so I have to take them when I get home at night, so I wake myself up and find it hard to sleep.

I used to be able to find time to exercise, but not anymore. The diet I was on has gone to the crapper since I am always rushing to make meals and snacks and just pick out was is easy, which isn't usually what is the healthiest. I have gained so much weight in the past few months. I practically live off of coffee and caffinated soda just to get through my day.

I feel like I have a never ending cold. When I get sick I am unable to take the time to rest. If I even think of taking a sick day I have to make sure that there is no chance no one will be home because I will be criticized for taking a day. I have to lie to my pharmacy job in order to get a day off and I can't do that all the time.

I would love to not have to run around every day. I would love to come home and sit in front of the television and veg out. I would love to come home and read a book since my book collection is piling up. I feel like I have no time to relax anad have fun and be by myself.

Thank you for reading this. Is there any tips out there to help me not be ruined by this hectic life I have to lead?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: I Think My Hectic Life Is Ruining My Health

I'm sorry for your rat race. It made me tired just reading your post! You said that you live at home. Are you paying your parents room and board? If you are, I would think that you would be able to shower in the a. if you are a contributing member of the household. You should be able to have a part in the schedule of life. I would also suggest that you try to do some laundry during the week rather than waiting for your "one chance".

Also, I would suggest that you only offer number of hours per week and stick to it. If you won't be forceful with them they will have your entire free life committed to the drug store. If you feel that you can exist without the money that you get from there-quit. It will be the only way to truly get away from their ever creeping consuming hours. Otherwise you will need to stick to how many hours you feel you can give them. Then if they schedule more against your wishes-tell your manager that you told them you only have so many hours that you can be there and stick to it. If they end up short,that will be their issue. But make sure that you are clear with them-and I would put it in writing and keep a copy that way it won't be he said she said.

Now find an hour that you can sit down-go to the library if you need to-and read a book, stare at the sky or watch the bugs. But you need to sit and just do NOTHING! It will be so refreshing.

As far as good nutrition goes. Try cutting up snack food on Sunday and put it in small bags that you can just grab and go. Get some of the good granola bars that are out on the market. And cut down on the soda! It does nothing for you at all.

Good luck, take a deep breath...all will be better

Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

ItsMyLife486 HB User

Thank you so much for the advice. I actually talked to the pharmacy today and did exactly what you said. There is a note of my the days that I am not available to work hanging on the calender for the person who does the schedule. Like you said, I am going to make a copy of the note just in case.

I don't pay room and board since my parents let me live home free since they couldn't help me pay for college. I would love to throw a load of laundry in during the week, but I am either not home or someone else is doing it.

Since our classroom is in the former home ec. room we have a fully functional kitchen. The teacher, the other aides, and I talked today about pooling some money together from just us to buy food for just us. I will suggest getting some healthier snacks to keep in the cabinets to help with that whole unhealthy eating.

I have a day off today so I am going to take your advice and sit and read for an hour. Thanks again and I really appreciate your reply.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My heart goes out to you, because I definitely have been in that situation. While I was in college, I decided to do 3 part time jobs instead of 1 job with longer hours, and it was definitely challenging to run around and try to get to each place on time. Like you said, I also had a hard time finding time to eat. There was literally not even time to go through a drive-through some days if things were running late.

What I started to do was pack sandwich bags full of salad, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, and some chicken or turkey breast. I'd just grab one of those and an ice pack and take it with me when I thought there was a chance of me not getting time to eat lunch or dinner. That or protein bars, or both! It was definitely better than nothing. I used to leave my apartment at the time around 7:30am and get home around 10pm, but somehow I managed to work out afterwards! I can tell you though, I felt burnt out pretty fast. I think the healthy eating and workouts boosted my energy level at first because I cut out a lot of processed foods, got down to my goal weight, and was in awesome shape... but then my body needed more rest and sleep and couldn't do it anymore. I also did too much too fast with my 20 miles a week I'd run and got minor stress fractures that took about half a year to go away with no running.

So, overall, I don't recommend pushing yourself too hard like I did! Although they asked you at your evening job to keep working but cut your hours (even though it hasn't worked out like you hoped), MUST you continue working there? I understand that we all need money, but if it isn't about that and you don't have to work there, you can always consider leaving if it's worth it to you. I bought my first house at the end of 2010 and considered getting a side job to be able to buy things for the house faster, but decided against it. Although I have one full time job, I still feel very tired and achy quite often, and I struggle with disabling migraines (but luckily am on the path to improvement with them!). Even with only 8 hours of work (for the least-busiest time of year at least), add in lunch time (which I usually work through) and my hour commute, and it's more like 11 hours away from home. When I was getting the migraines a lot, I wasn't able to get things done because I couldn't do anything when they happened.

First, I find it helpful to stop putting too much pressure on yourself. I used to make lots of to-do lists and felt so discouraged if I couldn't get everything done. Now I try to take advantage of any extra time that might pop up and usually prefer to make my weekend plans very simple so I have time to do my laundry and housework on the weekends. I don't cook and usually bring a simple meal to work like a salad or sandwich or I buy one. One day I'd like to cook more, but I think getting rest is more important! If you have your weekends open, try to see if you can get those extra things done around that time, and maybe save some workouts for then as well. Right now you might have to just keep the weekdays as simple as possible until things slow down, and hopefully one day they will.

I also find it VERY important to enjoy that down time! I usually scramble around and try to get things done, but now I realize that having a pile of clean socks that need to be put away isn't the end of the world, and sometimes it's better to just sit and relax! Your other ideas sound wonderful too and I always find it SO frustrating when other people think some jobs "must be easy" and tell people they are just overly stressed out. I know quite a few people who only think their own jobs are challenging and put down others when they are tired from work... but I think any job can be challenging and tiring, regardless of what you are doing! And when it's more than one job, you have to worry about making it on time to the next and all. I always try to block out others' comments about that

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
(female)

ItsMyLife486 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

I have a week off from one job (Spring Break!) in a few weeks so I am going to take that time to rest up and enjoy life. From then on I will be scheduling some "me time" into my schedule. The weather is getting warmer and I love going for walks so I am really looking forward to that.

I think maybe I do put to much pressure on myself trying to please everyone. Maybe I need to take a somewhat selfish route for awhile and think about what is best for me.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

That is wonderful that you have a break coming up soon! I think that's one thing I struggle with... I often feel like it's selfish to give myself "me time," but it's actually not. If you give yourself time for YOU, you will feel better and more energized to give time to others! If you have a lot of pressure on yourself, nobody benefits in the end and it's just super exhausting. Try to think of it that way we all need a break now and then!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi those who take a complete day for rest of every type of work do better in my opinion. I would make sure every Friday evening from sundown to Saturday evening sundown is off from work and not even do laundry until dark. The body is known to slow down on this day anyway I have read and the respiratory and heart rate and digestion rate all slow down on this day so that is the best day to let everything relax. That way a person is more prepared and rested to do the hard work of living the other 6 days during the week.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
(male)

Pasedena_guy HB User

Well If you won't be forceful with them they will have your whole free life pledged to the pharmaceutical store. If you seem that you can live without the cash that you get from there-quit. It will be the only way to really get away from their ever creeping spending hours.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
(female)

Ms.Suze HB User

I would say ... take time for you. If you are happy then only you become capable to keep others happy. The surrounding around you, is what you feel you see.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-08-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
(male)

Tranquility81 HB User

Have you ever considered doing some daily meditation? It's an excellent way to reduce stress.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility81 View Post
Have you ever considered doing some daily meditation? It's an excellent way to reduce stress.
I agree! Meditation or simply anything relaxing, even just for a few minutes, is excellent. For me, even just a nice long shower is very relaxing and helps me de-stress. I think I need to start adding more little things like this here and there throughout the day. I often sit at my desk and eat my lunch rather than get away, and I've heard it's much better to try to get up and away from the office. Great advice for anyone with a busy schedule, and probably great even for those who aren't all that busy!

Closed Thread