It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Temperature Drops When Not Feeling Well

First off, let me say that I do NOT have a naturally low temperature. In fact, I used to have a naturally high temperature of around 99.5 for one year, and now seem to have a very normal temperature of 98.6. Recently though, whenever I feel bad/ill and take my temperature, it's always at least a full degree lower. I've had many people say that their temperature is naturally low and it happens, but what can it be if my temperature is NOT naturally low and it's simply dropping when I am not feeling well?

The only health issue I am currently aware of is inflammation from a bulging disc in my cervical spine. This has been contributing to allergy-like symptoms like sinus pressure every day, ear ringing and pressure, daily headaches, neck and shoulder soreness, sore jaw, and lots of vertigo. I also started getting moderate migraines from those problem and occasionally get severe migraines. I'm taking a daily medication to prevent the severe migraines and have a prescription to take for when they occur. I'm seeing a neurologist for my prescriptions and a physical therapist to help gently fix my neck over the course of the next 6 weeks. I'll also be seeing another doctor soon to talk about my severe migraines that seemed to be linked to hormone changes (b.c. pill greatly helps, but I get a terrible migraine when on the placebo pills, every time).

I seem to just have a cold right now, nothing too bad, but sure enough my temperature was at 97.5. I feel achier than usual with a cold right now. When my neck issue was at its worst and would make me feel sick at night before a migraine hit, my temperature would drop those evenings as well. During the day, it would be normal. I'd also like to note that I hardly ever get fevers. When I used to have fevers, I would not even know it because I still felt fine! I once was at 103 with the flu and didn't feel all that bad! It's just strange for me to see that with a low temp, I feel much worse.

A few people have suggested I get a full thyroid panel. I have only had a regular blood test because I always had fatigue, but had normal iron levels, normal sugar, and normal TSH. They didn't check the other thyroid levels though. Other than looking into this, is there something else that might affect my temperature and make me feel so bad? I do have every symptom of hypothyroid, but my trickiest have been the fatigue and aches. I am also very sensitive to cold and find it frustrating to be wearing sweaters or even a heavy coat in the office when others around me are fanning themselves! I think some of those people do get hot flashes though, so maybe it really is cold in here!

I am 24 years old, so I'm not going through menopause. I love to eat right and work out, but I haven't been able to work out as often per the doctor's orders to take it easy and only do lighter exercise because of my neck. I also just haven't been feeling up to it when my headaches were bothering me constantly. I am just ready to get my life in order and start feeling good! I feel like I'm making the right steps with seeing the current doctors, but I think I also need to look into these temperature changes. Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Temperature Drops When Not Feeling Well

I wouldn't think it's anything to be concerned about. A lower temp can be common with illness/infection though most people don't realize that.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I have a naturally low temp. so if I'm sick and get a 99 that is a fever for me. I have heard that when some people are sick their temps. can go down while others go up. Usually it is Thyroid, but also have heard it is nothing to worry about if Thyroid is ok. Hopefully a Dr. can explain why yours runs low when ill.

Keep us posted...JJ..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Well, I guess most of all, I want to learn how to prevent this from happening since I feel so ill when it happens! I'll definitely ask my doctor what I need to do to try to keep my temperature from dropping. I don't feel concerned about it really, but I am curious to see what has caused it since it's only happening recently, and how to prevent it if possible.

Closed Thread