It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

Whitesuk HB User
My case of Eosinophilia

Hey guys, just looking for some views on my situation right now. As it overly bothers me :\ I'm going to copy over a letter I have wrote to a hematologist who I have not yet heard back from .

Any views would be appreciated.

Quote:
I am writing to you to ask for your opinion and advice on my current situation regarding my Eosinophil count. Going back to about 4/5 months ago, I was suffering from quite bad bowel movements, which over time seems to have resolved itself. At the time, I went to the my University Doctor and he arranged for me to have blood tests. When I went for my test results they said everything was fine, no major abnormalities, but out of curiosity I requested a print out of the results.

When I was looking through my results, something caught my eye in the FBC and that was my Eosinophil count which was raised at 0.90 (10 9/L) which was drastically out from the recommended range of 0.0 - 0.5. After checking this further I discovered that the reason behind eosinophilia should always be addressed as it could be something serious.

I went back to the Doctors and he scheduled me to have another FBC to check that it wasn't rising any further and I was told to come back after the Christmas holidays in mid January.

During the Christmas holidays I suffered from very enlarged lymph glands under my chin on the right hand side which started ringing alarm bells with eosinophilia and lymphomas, but the lymph gland reduced in size over a few days, and returned to normal size. However, I did see a Doctor and they put me on antibiotics and scheduled another blood test while I was at home, checking my FBC again (after i mentioned the eosinophilia) and a mononucleosis test to check for mumps. The results came back and I didn't have mumps and my Eosinophil count went down to 0.08 10 9/L (slightly different lab report style this time, it says 0.8, but the safe range for this lab was 0.0 - 0.5, so I'm presuming its 0.08 and not 0.80) which I felt much better about as my Eosinophil count was much lower!

When I went back to University I went for the blood test which my Uni Dr requested I take in January, and the results came back for my Eosinophil count as 1.1 (10 9/L) and then two weeks later it went back to 1.0 (10 9/ L), my GP said its nothing to worry about but because I was concerned he said he wouldl speak to a hematologist for me. I later received a phone call asking if I had been abroad and asked me to take a stool sample for a possible parasitic infection. The stool result has also returned clear. What's worrying me though is that if it isn't a parastitic infection, I feel my case might be closed as I am otherwise very fit and healthy and the rest of my blood counts are satisfactory and nothing else is standing out on my blood counts apart from Vitamin D and Calcium deficiency, which is most likely due to my Uni diet.

What would you recommend to me if I don't have a parasitic infection? Interestingly, when I was on the antibiotics over the Christmas period, my eosinophil count lowered to 0.08, so I'm not sure if they were helping to fight some kind of infection. I didn't finish the antibiotic course because it was during the new years celebrations and they were giving me an upset stomach. I'm worried that my case will be closed if it isn't a parasitic infection, I am quite a hypercondriac so it worries me quite a lot and I read on your website that a Eosinophil count of 1.5 can lead to organ failure!
To add onto that I also had a IgE Blood test and that came back fine, so I feel that rules out allergies, so that Parasitic Infection and Alergies ruled out!?

Thanks

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-06-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread