It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
(male)

mythicdawn07 HB User
What a mess.

First of all hi im liam and heres my story.

I'm 20 years old, Living at home and im really unhealthy.

My main meals consist of either microwave meals or frozen ovenfood with little to none fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet besides potatoes/chips i think this is where im having alot of problems but i dont do the shopping, dont have car to travel to get my own either and my mother rarely buys anything unless its frozen lol.

I rarely leave the house i dont know why, i used to be so outgoing but now i just sit in all day on the computer doing nothing, Whenever i have to leave the house it takes me about 30 miniutes to build up the confidence to actually get out the door been told this is anxiety or agrophobia etc i havent been to see anyone for a proffesional opinion.

I think my main problem is confidence and lack of motivation/energy, Whenever i walk anywhere the backs of my legs ache like mad, probably due to not using them so much.

I'm basically here for advice/motivation is there anything out there that can give me the boost of energy i need to get myself into gear and start exercising? Anything i should be taking e.g. vitamins, energy drinks, codliver oil etc to help me with my diet?

Cant believe what iv let myself degrade into and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. If you can try keep things simple im not the brightest bulb in the box either.

Last edited by mythicdawn07; 04-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
(male)

mythicdawn07 HB User
Re: What a mess.

Probably should mention too i only really eat 1 meal per day and im still overweight =\

The following user gives a hug of support to mythicdawn07:
yourflyisopen (05-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

First of all...HI....You really need to get some decent foods into yourself and not eating more then one meal a day is NOT good. Please ask your mom to buy some meats, veggies..even frozen ones and fruits. Eating 3 small meals a day and a couple of snacks during the day is much healthier. Eating like that will not only help with your weight it will keep your blood sugar more regular.

I know it will be hard but somehow you need to convince yourself to get out and do some walking. A decent 20 minute walk each day to start is very helpful. Your only 20 so you should be having a really good time not stuck in the house. If you feel you have an anxiety problem posting on the anxiety board for support may be helpful as well.

All the vitamins or suppliments in the world are not going to help unless you eat properly and do some exercise, there is NO miracle pill. Taking a multi vitamin each day will at least get some vitamins and minerals into you, so start there.

Wishing you the best...JJ...

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

heatherx0x HB User

If you only eat one meal per day and you are overweight then you should probably get your thyroid checked. There are other reasons why this could be happening, but I know that many of my family members tried and tried to lose weight but couldn't simply because they had thyroid dysfunction. Read up on it.

That is not to say that the foods you are eating are healthy...because we both know they aren't. The best thing you can do if you have no other option is to take the usual meal you eat and spread it out throughout the day. Every time you get hungry, have a bit of it.

You need to maintain a decent number of calories because losing weight too fast, and malnutrition are not healthy. I would say to just eat a general 1500 calories per day, spread out, and avoid eating within 4 hours of bed time. That's just my opinion, I'm no doctor but my doctor has told me things like this.

Another option is to ask your mother to pick up some frozen veggies. You need fiber, vitamins and other nutrients found in these foods. Processed foods, such as frozen pizzas or potato chips contain little or no nutritional value... but much sodium. Let's just say, if you're living that kind of lifestyle you are BEGGING for heart disease.

(I'm not trying to beat you up..I'm sitting at my pc with a freaking glass of strawberry coconut milk and mcdouble lol I have an issue as well).

Anyway, these frozen veggies are like a dollar a bag. You stick them in the microwave for about 5 minutes, take them out, place them on a plate, and eat them. There are usually two servings. I would recommend at least 2 servings of veggies a day so just split it into two separate meals. Try to eat 4 other times...maybe a banana and some nuts or whatever. Even a SERVING of potato chips would be better than eating a bag of them + a half of a frozen digorno an hour before bed. Or even 4. I am not saying you do this, I just know how literally easy this is.

Anyway, just take a walk. Take it slow. Work your way up. Start for FIVE minutes a day if you have to... but this is NECESSARY for a healthy lifestyle. You can never expect to maintain good health without some sort of exercise regularly. I KNOW IT'S HARD... I completely feel ya. But hang in there. Just take it slow 5-10 minutes a day, then gradually up it 5 minutes a week or whatever feels comfy for you. Then when you get to like 30 minutes, try to get your speed up a little. Not even a lot at once.

About your agoraphobia, I know completely what you are dealing with because I am the same way. I maintain a job and go to school but I do not talk to a soul. Not one. I can't even look most people in the eye. I have a fiance and I'm comfy with him and my family, but other than that...ya I'm completely anti-social. I would suggest just TRYING to get out there and make some friends or to be outgoing... But that could also be even harder on you. Maybe go to a regular doctor and try to get on some anxiety meds. I take xanax .25 mg only when NEEDED (If I go somewhere, have a panic attack or whatever). It is really useful but it does not solve anything long term...

Please just do something with your life. If you get healthier you will FEEL better. Psychological problems are more likely in obese people. (That's not meant to be offensive...I know where you're at...I'm 21 and sound much like you). Please do this for yourself. Not for anyone else.

This is your only life...please just get better. I'm here for ya ! (:

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

yourflyisopen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythicdawn07 View Post
First of all hi im liam and heres my story.

I'm 20 years old, Living at home and im really unhealthy.

My main meals consist of either microwave meals or frozen ovenfood with little to none fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet besides potatoes/chips i think this is where im having alot of problems but i dont do the shopping, dont have car to travel to get my own either and my mother rarely buys anything unless its frozen lol.

I rarely leave the house i dont know why, i used to be so outgoing but now i just sit in all day on the computer doing nothing, Whenever i have to leave the house it takes me about 30 miniutes to build up the confidence to actually get out the door been told this is anxiety or agrophobia etc i havent been to see anyone for a proffesional opinion.

I think my main problem is confidence and lack of motivation/energy, Whenever i walk anywhere the backs of my legs ache like mad, probably due to not using them so much.

I'm basically here for advice/motivation is there anything out there that can give me the boost of energy i need to get myself into gear and start exercising? Anything i should be taking e.g. vitamins, energy drinks, codliver oil etc to help me with my diet?

Cant believe what iv let myself degrade into and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. If you can try keep things simple im not the brightest bulb in the box either.

Energy drinks are not a great idea, you'll crash after the initial caffeine rush. Basically, do your best to eat more fresh foods, steer clear of processed foods (fast food, microwave meals etc). Cut down on dairy, fizzy drinks etc. Easy way to acheive your 5 a day is to buy fresh fruit (fruit that you know you'll eat, I mean, who can be bothered to prepare mango/ peel an orange!?) Smoothies are 2 of your 5-a-day per serving. Fresh soups too, covent garden has a really yummy selection

If you like stuff like humous, taramasalata or guacamole then you could have dips with cucumber, carrot, peppers, celery (if you can bear it). Try and drink more water, or very dilute squash. And lay off the alcohol! It's so fattening. Try and switch to wholegrain, it'll fill you up more and is better for your heart, wholegrain cereals include, weetabix, shredded wheat, weetos (who doesn't love weetos) most wholegrain food is very clearly labelled, you can get wholegrain pasta and rice.

As for protein, go easy on red meats, esp minced beef, they are laden in sat fats. Poultry, fish and soya are all good sources of protein and good for you.

P.S. I bet you're still hot, can always check that for you

Closed Thread