It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
(male)

aj84 HB User
Strange sensation in index finger?

Hi all,

New user here but been going through many threads trying to figure out what is happening to me.

Bit of background, 27 years old, daily gym user with personal trainer and I work in IT with computers for probably around 18 hours a day...

On Monday morning, I had a bit of an accident walking down the stairs with a number of bags. Thought I reached the bottom only to find I was 2 away. Landed on my foot bent and heard the dreaded snap.

Hospital has checked it out etc, few fractures and I'm on crutches...

Now this is the first time I've used crutches so I am unsure if this is the cause.

Actual issue: I can't seem to use my index finger much on right hand!
I can move it up/down but left is difficult.

What is more strange is if I hold it up, its straight. But if I put pressure on it...for instance I went to unclip my laptop bag, the index finger moves in towards the second finger (so to the right).

Same thing happens if I bend the finger in, it moves to the right.

Very annoying and frustrating as I can barely type this thread out because everytime the finger hits a key, it moves in and hits the second finger.

I thought my left finger was doing the same but I can't replicate it now or if it is, it's very slight!

Any ideas?

Appreciate the answers/help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Strange sensation in index finger?

When you fell you said you had stuff in your hands, so maybe you sprained the finger or twisted it? It sounds like it had something to do with the fall, so that is about all I can think of. Only other thing I can think of is seeing your using crutches are you putting pressue on that finger holding on too them a little to tightly, as I know they have a middle bar across them. You could be pressing on a nerve. Next time you go to have your leg checked I'd mention it to the Dr.

Hope you feel better...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 04-12-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Go and see a physical therapist who has a post graduate diploma as a hand therpist. They are very competant and will diagnose your condition and treat you.
James

Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
(male)

aj84 HB User

Thanks both for the replies!
In my life, I've been to the hospital once (the foot) and doc twice about 4 years ago so I do stay out of these places as much as I can...!

So this morning, the left hand index finger is doing the same thing :-s
I think you're right that it could be the crutches doing it! Is this a known thing and is there a way to avoid it?

I'll try and book an app with the GP on friday in the first instance and see how things go I guess

Thanks again

Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

For now if you have anything that is made of foam you could wrap it around the middle part where you grasp it. I did that for my son when he broke his ankle years ago. I put the foam stuff around the middle and then taped it on the sides to give his hands a break. His were wood and they did put a bit of pressure on his hands.

Hope this helps....JJ...

Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

I would agree the crutches have something to with it. Actually how you are using the crutches. It can anything from a pinched nerve in your neck to an actual injury of the finger itself. I would definetly ask the physical therapist or the Doctor about it. Crutches after a while seem to cause a lot of different problems or discomforts. My husband had a similir problem with two of his fingers and he was told it was thoracic neck syndrome. Good luck and feel better.

Closed Thread