It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
(male)

samuel7 HB User
Exclamation How dangerous is eating wild berries? (echinococcosis)

Hi, I am a huge fan of frozen blueberries and also other berries.
However I also read that eating wild berries which grow in the wood can be dangerous because they could have been contaminated with fox feces which could contain echinococcosis eggs and if a human eats them then it's very dangerous and also cannot be cured.
And then I tried to find out where the berries which I always buy in the supermarket come from and emailed the company and asked them where they come from and if they are wild berries or wether they get them from fields which are protected from incoming foxes and they replied that they are from Canada and that they are in fact wild berries but they said that Canada does not really have a problem with echinococcosis unlike other regions in the world. Somehow this doesn't really comfort me but I have already eaten tons of blueberries from them. Should I stop eating them now or should I be worried?
Freezing the berries would not kill off any eggs only boiling them would but who wants to boil his berries? Then you can as well not eat them at all cause the vitamins are dead.

Last edited by samuel7; 04-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: How dangerous is eating wild berries? (echinococcosis)

HI if this is any comfort the disease is said to be rare. It is also contracted through meat such as cattle deer, pigs, sheep, dogs, wolves coyotes, or their feces.

I have to admit eating many a berry too but I am not a meat eater!

Last edited by sjb; 04-16-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: deletion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
(male)

annex HB User

What is wormwood? I also read about this disease and afaik you cannot cure or treat it so I'd be very careful!

Last edited by annex; 04-16-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi wormwood is a toxic herb. Some people have used it in the past for worms but I just read that it might have some bad effects on the nervous system. Some others have used surgery and even chemotherapy to try to get a cure for this. Of course chemo can be sort of dangerous also in my opinion. I know someone who suffered from a stroke, a pulmonary collapse and a spine collapse afterward. There are other herbs that are supposed to be good for worms even carrots but the truth is I do not know how effective each one is.

Of course one might try growing their own berries and using the ones from the high bushes that would be no where near any animal backside in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
(male)

samuel7 HB User

I don't have the space to grow own berries and this also wouldn't be very cost effective.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi well there might be a farm nearby that has a pick your own option and then the high berries could be chosen. Some people garden in containers for extra food and the amount one pays for 2 bags of berries would pay for the amount a bush costs at the local garden discount store.

Closed Thread