It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
(male)

mcoleman73 HB User
Persistant cough, chest pain, wheezing

Hi

I am posting this on behalf of my wife who is 33 years old and was fot and healthy.

About 4 weeks ago, she developed a very persistant cough and was having bouts of wheezing. It sounded like an asthma attack - although she has never suffered from this before. This has continued, although the wheezing has died down a little.
However, over the past 2 weeks, the cough has remained, which she does bring up some mucus, but she has now developed a severe pain on one side. This could be a pulled muscle due to the coughing, but we are not sure.

At night, it really hurts my wife to lie down, and when she gets to get up, she begins coughing everytime she does this. The cough sounds chesty and quite deep - if that makes any sense.

She has been to the doctors on no more than 3 occasions, and has also been to the hospital for a chest x-ray. We are waiting back the results from this.

The doctors haven't given any indication as to what this might be, but prescribed a blue pump initially, then some anti-biotics, then some steriods (which my wife hasn't taken - due to the doctor saying to take these if she wanted too!). She was then prescribed some further anti-biotics at the end of last week, which she is curretly taking.

To be honest, the anti-biotics and/or pump, don't seem to be doing anything to improve the situation or her condition.

So we are at a lost cause and are hoping that the hospital do find something in a way to be able to help us find out what is wrong.

i just wondered if any one had come across this.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Persistant cough, chest pain, wheezing

There are many things that can cause a chronic cough.

If it is bacterial, the antibiotics should help.

For inflammed airways, the steroids will help .

Is her cough a dry cough? Chronic dry coughs are usually caused by allergies, asthma, PND or acid reflux.

If she is continually coughing hard enough to pull her muscles or hurt her ribs, you might ask the doctor to test her for Pertussis. Whooping cough is on the increase throughout much of the country. It is nicknamed the 100 day cough due to how long it lasts.

If she has developed pneumonia, that will typically show up on the chest x-ray she had.

I hope you find some answers soon,
MountainReader

Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
(male)

mcoleman73 HB User
Re: Persistant cough, chest pain, wheezing

Many thanks for the quick response.

Her cough is quite long, if that makes and sense. It's not the normal short, sharp cough. But when she coughs, it does sound like there is something on her chest maybe. And she usually brings up some mucus when coughing.

We have thought about Pneumonia or Pluresy, but obviously have to wait for the x-ray results.

Thanks again

Closed Thread