HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   Pain under right rib cage- only at night! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/845447-pain-under-right-rib-cage-only-night.html)

gem2626 04-18-2011 02:27 PM

Pain under right rib cage- only at night!

Hi I've been having pain under my right rib cage that either starts late at night and comes on quickly or i'll wake from my sleep in agony. If I nap during the day I never wake up in pain. The pain is like i'm being stabbed but also stitch like. When i'm in pain I find it difficult to take deep breaths, i'm quite gassy and feel constipated although i'm not. The last time I had it (which has been a lot recently) I had nausea and felt dizzy. Hot baths give me some relief and it feels like I need to put pressure on the area although this hurts. Stretching also gives relief for about a second. I usually end up pacing as I can't sit still. The pain usually lasts about 5 hours and then it will quite quickly subside enough so that I can go to sleep. When I wake up again the pain is gone. During the days I feel mildly sore in the area but will never have the stabbing pain. Also, the pain will either start with back ache or will start under my rib cage and then move to my back. Sometimes my whole back hurts, sometimes it's my upper back, sometimes my lower back. It's hard to describe the pain when i'm not feeling it. i went to my doctors who said that he didn't know what it was but that it could be plurisy. I don't think it's plurisy. He gave me some co-codemol but they along with paracetemol and neurofen don't work. What do you think this could be? gallbladder, IBS, muscle spasm?? Is there any kind of relief that might work that could help indicate what this pain is? Thank You!!

a042810 04-18-2011 03:14 PM

Re: Pain under right rib cage- only at night!

I had a similar pain about 6 months ago. It was following a very fatty meal. The pain was most intense when I inhaled deeply. The only thing I could do to relieve the discomfort was to lay on my left side. When I was up and about during the day just felt sore in the area, no real pain unless I pressed in on it - although I did notice my stools were lighter in color than normal. I was convinced it was a gallbladder attack but I was very concerned it might be something more serious.

I didn't go into the ER because, as luck would have it, my yearly physical was in a few days. As a precaution, my GP ordered an abdominal ultrasound, which was completely negative (aside from a slightly "coarse" appearance to my liver - which they dismissed as unrelated).

It took about a week, but basically by the time I got the results from my ultrasound, I was feeling better. My entire physical, including all my labs were completely normal. My GP said to just watch what I eat and if it happens again, to call. I have not had the issue since, but I have been watching my diet more (especially how much fat and sugar I eat).

gem2626 04-18-2011 03:22 PM

Thank you for replying :)

Food seems to have no relation to the pain. I've had it when i've had stir fry and also had it when I've had macdonalds. My stools are fine too which is making me think it might be muscle related. Then the fact that it only happens at night is making me think it's not. I don't know i'm sooo frustrated. Willing the pain to come on tonight so I can just go to a&e- My daughter is away and I haven't wanted to drag her there at 3am with me.

dougthebug 05-23-2012 08:17 AM

Could possibly be a peptic ulcer. There is a simple breath test (urea) test that checks for gases released by the bacteria that causes the ulcer.

Titchou 05-23-2012 12:11 PM

I vote for gallbladder for both of you. Have an ultrasound. If that is negative, have a HIDA scan. Until then, eat as little fat as possible - and the operative word with stir fry is "fry." It has fat in it. Hope this helps.

Ineke 05-03-2013 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Titchou;4985491]I vote for gallbladder for both of you. Have an ultrasound. If that is negative, have a HIDA scan. Until then, eat as little fat as possible - and the operative word with stir fry is "fry." It has fat in it. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Hi, I've had this too, intermittently for over a year. The pain can be very bad. Can't get comfortable any way in bed and when I roll over, it's like knife stabs. Breathing is painful and coughing even worse. have a liver full of cysts and sarcoidosis in the lungs but nobody can find the cause of this pain. Posts above seem to point towards getting gall bladder checked.