It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

Evokazz HB User
Upper Throat

Hiya, first post here, so hello all. I am concerned about something with my neck/throat, and I have already been to see my GP 2 times, with all coming back ok, but I am still worried.

About 4 weeks ago, I developed a sensation in my lower right throat, like something was stuck in there, or an obstruction, nothing painful, but more of an annoyance, it was really mild, just noticeable, but still I went to the doctor, He told me it sounds like Acid Reflux or something, he checked my throat by hand, and said all feels well. He prescribed me some Omeprazole 20mg.

The day after taking my first pill, I developed a really light burning sensation under my jaw, both sides, I dont often mess around feeling my throat, so not sure what was there before, if that makes sense, but directly under my jaw I can feel 2 long muscle type things, they feel solid, it is these that are tingling slightly. These 2 "things" start directly under my chin, then spread out, one going left one going right, and running alongside my jaw (slightly lower than jawbone) and then seem to connect either side of my adams apple.I dont recall these being so solid, kinda swollen, but I dont know if they was like this before?? Its the tingling that has made me constantly rub, feel them, and worry. I visited the doctor again and told her, she said I need to finish my 4 week tablet course, and the 2 things I pointed out are saliva glands. I came home but I was confused as did not realise saliva glands ran from under your chin, all the way down to your adams apple in a Y shape. Is this normal? I felt my girlfriends throat, and although it feels similar, its nowhere near as solid, or thick. Do all men have these 2 muscles/glands? and are they always this solid and thick?

If you put your middle finger from each hand on either side of your jaw, around the middle (directly south of your eyes) then slowly but firmly move down to your throat keeping the line, do you run into 2 tube like muscles/glands either side of your upper throat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Upper Throat

Hello, and welcome!

Your post caught my eye, when you mentioned this thing in your throat that was bothersome...My hubby has gone through the same thing, and it turns out to be more common than we thought, and we actually diagnosed it ourselves. It may or may not apply to you, but I will throw it out there...

Could your uvula be elongated? That dangley thing in the back of your throat...It can become elongated and actually lay on the back of your tongue, and can be enough to drive you crazy. Look back in your throat and check your uvula. Even when my hubby was complaining, the doctor never caught it.

He is actually having his cut off tomorrow. I know it sounds weird, but it is just an idea. As far as the reaction you seem to have gotten from the medication, I do not have any ideas there.

I do know men have a much more muscular throat...wish I could help more.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
(male)

Evokazz HB User

I have read through the Omeprazole booklet, and apparently it can cause swollen glands and muscles in the face/jaw area as a side effect, funny that this happens within hours of taking my first pill. I initially took the pill for a obstructed sensation, but these side effects are much worse, so I am not going to take them for a week, and see what happens, if I go back to normal, then I will go back to GP and inform them. Has anyone else experienced swelling with Omeprazole? Apparently its not a common side effect, but not rare, kinda in the middle.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Sorry to butt in-writeleft I hope your hubby does well with his surgery. My hubby's ENT said his was too small to take off for his sleep apnea, and she said be glad it is. That's rough surgery with long healing and it cause alot of distress...so I hope he is doing well.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

@bake and pray,

Believe it or not, the doctor had to reschedule for two more weeks, but it was implied as a simple procedure with a lasar that only calls for soft foods for 48 hours, back to work the next day. hmmmm...

Last edited by writeleft; 04-22-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Closed Thread