It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
(male)

killsme HB User
My father

My father is 65 years old and he works 13 hours+ on the farm everyday.

I know it is normal to have joint pains and such from all the laborous work but right now he cannot sleep at all well because of the joint aching he is getting JUST during the night. The pain occurs mostly in his knees and even furthur down in the leg.

He says we he wakes up he feels good but when he starts to lay down at night he the pain returns.

I tried to give him aspirin but he doesn't accept it because hes too stubborn.

Does anyone know why? And what else could i do to correct some of this?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
(male)

killsme HB User
Re: My father

bump for any responses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

He's probably getting arthritis. If he doesn't want to take anti inflammatories for it or go to the doctor, there isn't much you can do.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

How about trying a heating pad and see if that brings him some relief, or some of the rub in pain releavers that are on the market.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
(male)

ken004 HB User

Well, thats pretty simple. If he feels good when he wake up, but feels the pain when going to sleep, then he only needs rest. Maybe he is working too much that he's body cant sustain. He is already adult, he must not work anymore.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsme View Post
My father is 65 years old and he works 13 hours+ on the farm everyday. ... The pain occurs mostly in his knees and even furthur down in the leg.
He has probably worn down the cartilage in his knees. There are salves available, that can be rubbed on the knees, or taken as supplements, that might help, like MSM and/or Glucosamine combined with Chondroitin.

If I had to guess, your father has been a farmer most of his life, working his own farm. I hope that he can continue his "labor of love", but at 65, his ability to continue to do hard, physical labor is going to be more limited as he ages.

You must be quite proud of your hard working dad!

Take care, and best of health and luck to both you and your father.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
(male)

killsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
He has probably worn down the cartilage in his knees. There are salves available, that can be rubbed on the knees, or taken as supplements, that might help, like MSM and/or Glucosamine combined with Chondroitin.

If I had to guess, your father has been a farmer most of his life, working his own farm. I hope that he can continue his "labor of love", but at 65, his ability to continue to do hard, physical labor is going to be more limited as he ages.

You must be quite proud of your hard working dad!

Take care, and best of health and luck to both you and your father.
hey, my dad is crazy and needs to stop working as hard, but he wont! And your absolutely right that physical labor is going to be more limited as he ages.

I know he was taking fish oil tablets the last 5-6 months and during that time he had spikes of when he was fine and spikes when his knees really hurt.

But now that he has ran out of tablets and has not purchased new ones his knees are worse then when he started taking the tablets; last september.

The rubbing lotion appeals to me more then the tablets do, which ones would you recommend?

thanks for the reply/replies

Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
... The rubbing lotion appeals to me more then the tablets do, which ones would you recommend?

thanks for the reply/replies
When I searched for ointments or salves for my wife's knees and hands we actually purchased an ointment that contained MSM and another ointment with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They were advertised to help with arthritic conditions, and there is much written about both ointments. But after a long period of using the ointments, neither of them really seemed to help too much with her knees.

She stopped using them.

But...... I just realized, when drafting this response back to you that, for the past year or so, her knees are doing better than ever! She has very little discomfort any more in her knees. I just discussed it with her, and we can't come up with any other explanation than one, or both, of the ointments must have helped?! We just don't know whether it was the MSM or the Glucosamine and Chondroitin?

Weird, isn't it? Because of your dad's problem with his knees, we are going to order both ointments, and she is going to start using them on her knees, again, as insurance against her arthritis coming back. In the meantime, we are going to scratch our heads and try to figure out if there is any other reasonable explanation for her lack of knee pain.

Sorry I can't be more definitive than this, but my response might give you an idea or two. I just can't guarantee that either ointment will help your father.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
(male)

killsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
When I searched for ointments or salves for my wife's knees and hands we actually purchased an ointment that contained MSM and another ointment with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They were advertised to help with arthritic conditions, and there is much written about both ointments. But after a long period of using the ointments, neither of them really seemed to help too much with her knees.

She stopped using them.

But...... I just realized, when drafting this response back to you that, for the past year or so, her knees are doing better than ever! She has very little discomfort any more in her knees. I just discussed it with her, and we can't come up with any other explanation than one, or both, of the ointments must have helped?! We just don't know whether it was the MSM or the Glucosamine and Chondroitin?

Weird, isn't it? Because of your dad's problem with his knees, we are going to order both ointments, and she is going to start using them on her knees, again, as insurance against her arthritis coming back. In the meantime, we are going to scratch our heads and try to figure out if there is any other reasonable explanation for her lack of knee pain.

Sorry I can't be more definitive than this, but my response might give you an idea or two. I just can't guarantee that either ointment will help your father.
That is weird about your wife. Maybe it just takes a long time for the ointment to soak in, lubricate and do its job.

How long after your wife stopped using the ointment did her knees start feeling better, and how old is your wife? Maybe her knees weren't all that bad and she just went through a rough spell (if there is such a thing, i really dont know..)

I know that the fish oil tablets, which were Glucosamine and something else i think it was Chondroitin as well, took 2-3 months for any effect but it seemed that it got worse after that time period. My dad took them until they ran out but his knees were worse then they were when he started! And that was the reason he started taking them in the first place.

Where did you get the ointments, at a pharmacy?

Karl

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
That is weird about your wife. Maybe it just takes a long time for the ointment to soak in, lubricate and do its job.
It wouldn't surprise me that these MSM and Glucosamine oinments are slow acting.

Quote:
How long after your wife stopped using the ointment did her knees start feeling better, and how old is your wife?
We are both in our middle to late sixties. She used to use the MSM and Glucosamine/Chondroitin oinments several times per day, about a year or two ago. Her knees just kept getting better and better.

Quote:
Maybe her knees weren't all that bad and she just went through a rough spell (if there is such a thing, i really dont know..)
She had major, open surgery on her right knee, to reposition the kneecap. That was nasty.

On her left knee, she had microsurgery a few years ago. She went to a same surgeon, at the Cleveland Clinic, that professional hockey team uses, so we know he was good! At first he was reluctant to do any surgery because of her age and because of the damage to her knee. After the knee surgery she went through at-home rehab to strengthen the knee. Her knee was better but it still gave her some problems. At this time, her knee feels great!

We do two 30-minute power walks per day. Prior to using the oinments, we occasionally had to cut our walks short because of her knee pain. Not any longer!

Quote:
I know that the fish oil tablets, which were Glucosamine and something else i think it was Chondroitin as well, took 2-3 months for any effect but it seemed that it got worse after that time period.
Sorry about that!

Quote:
Where did you get the ointments, at a pharmacy?

Karl
I purchased them, at a pretty good price, through the Internet. I look for a reliable seller with a good reputation for quality and low price. We are not allowed to post links.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-02-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why don't you buy him some more of the meds that worked????

Closed Thread