It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

anonymouz1828 HB User
First & sudden Left knee pain question

Hello,

I was searching for information related to knee pain and found this forum. I want to see if it is necessary to see a doctor.

Yesterday afternoon, I felt a really sharp pain on my left knee when I was walking down the escalator. It felt kind of a painful sharp needle or stick on my left knee when I bent my left knee. I almost felt on escalator. I tried to walk down and felt that agonizing pain again. The pain was around top/above of the kneecap(??). On the floor, I tried to lightly kick the air and rotate my left leg to see whether I could loose the muscle or articulation. It kind of felt I locked my knee and I tried to get it loose.

I tried to walk and I did not have any pain or problem. As I continued to walk down the next escalator, I felt that pain again. Anytime I put weight or pressure on my left knee I felt the pain. On the floor again, I tried to slowly crouch (right knee on the floor and left knee bent) and get up. I felt the pain as I use my left leg to lift up. I had no problem walking but I had pain going up & down stairs (I dont remember if I went up stairs or not).

I got home and put some rubbing oil on my left knee. I wore pants to keep the heat there. I did again before I head to sleep.

I woke up today and the pain is almost gone (not that intense and painful anymore). I tried to slowly crouch (right knee on the floor and left knee bent) and get up. The pain was not a big factor anymore. I applied some rubbing oil in the morning. On the afternoon, I see a really small "round-dot" bruise on my left knee (size of the cap of a pen). I dont know if the bruise was there before but it the same area I rub it and it ache little bit.

I will follow the same care procedure for like 3-4 days (rubbing oil and less pressure/weight on my left leg). I am 28 and I do weight workout mostly on my upper body. I play light soccer and basketball not professional or intensive style.

Sorry for long text but I try to be very detailed. Do I need to see a doctor?? It was a first time and freak experience. What is the possibility of it happen again?? Age factor?? Or just unlucky incident??

Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: First & sudden Left knee pain question

I'd just keep doing what your doing for a few days to see how it goes. You may have twisted or pulled a muscle without realizing it. As long as it keeps getting less and less painful with no swelling, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Hopefully in a few days it will be a memory, not a good one, but a memory. Obviously if it gets worse or gets red or swollen, then I'd see a Dr.

Make sure you go cautiously up and down stairs till it heals.

Good luck...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 04-29-2011 at 04:47 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
anonymouz1828 (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think icing might be more appropriate. But if it continues to get better, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
anonymouz1828 (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
(male)

anonymouz1828 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I'd just keep doing what your doing for a few days to see how it goes. You may have twisted or pulled a muscle without realizing it. As long as it keeps getting less and less painful with no swelling, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Hopefully in a few days it will be a memory, not a good one, but a memory. Obviously if it gets worse or gets red or swollen, then I'd see a Dr.

Make sure you go cautiously up and down stairs till it heals.

Good luck...JJ...
Appreciate it!!!!! I am really relieved. It seems it is not that serious as it felt. I will extend those caring procedure to 5 days and cautiously rest my left knee for 2 weeks.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
(male)

anonymouz1828 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I think icing might be more appropriate. But if it continues to get better, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the reply!!! Actually, i thought about icing too but I ran out of ice on my freezer. I had to freeze again but I dont think I will use ice for now. I am really relieved that both replies mention less pain as not serious. I will be careful and keep a watch for 2 weeks.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

If it is a muscle or tendon pull heat is usually used where as ice is more for swelling. Just take it easy for a few days and let us know how your doing.

Best wishes..JJ...

Old 05-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
(male)

anonymouz1828 HB User

Thanks for the info .. good thing i did not get any swelling.

I just wanted to update on the pain. It is gone .. just a light pain if I put medium pressure around the side of the left knee with my fingers. I can do lunges position without pain on my left knee. I am still very cautious putting weight on right leg, not jumping or running around. I think I will stand it for a month rather than two weeks, and then regress to my normal intensity.

Five days ago, I was searching online and it is possible the knee pain can be cause by kneeling on hard surface for long time .. i dont if it my case but just a thought.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah I would still take it easy for another week and make sure it is healed. Glad at least you don't have real bad pain and your on the road to recovery.

Yes it can happen by kneeling down on hard surfaces. I know sometimes after I have given the tub a good scrubbing my knees will ache for awhile so now I put down a nice soft rug to kneel on.

Take care, and thanks for the update..JJ...

Closed Thread