It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

missannie123 HB User
Don't Know What's Wrong With Me: Persistent Shortness of Breath

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm a seventeen-year-old female who's generally very healthy. However, about two months ago, I started feeling short of breath and my heart was beating really fast, and the shortness of breath was so bad that I couldn't sleep that night. I went to the doctor the next day and she diagnosed me with bronchitis and gave me some antibiotics and an inhaler, due to my severe allergies. I have never ever had breathing problems before a couple months ago, not even when exercising. So I take the medicine, but it's not making me feel any better and neither are the inhalers. I'm having persistent shortness of breath; I still feel like I cannot breathe normally, difficulty taking deep breaths, and the feeling that I'm always not getting enough air. It got a little better about 2 weeks later and I thought I was getting better, but I'd still have times when I felt short of breath and dizzy. My parents and doctor both said it could be attributed to anxiety, since I get nervous quite easily and I'm worried frequently, but does anxiety cause chronic shortness of breath? I thought it would only come in attacks. But anyways, my parents decided to send me to the pyschologist to treat my anxiety but it hasn't helped yet. About one month after the symptoms started, I went to camp for 3 weeks to see if my symptoms would go away if I was in a care-free atmosphere and I wouldn't constantly worry about me being sick. Well, the camp was fun, and I did feel fine at some points, but then in others, especially out in the heat, I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's not dehydration or anything heat-related though, because I drank plenty of water, and when I'm indoors I still feel shortness of breath and extremely uncomfortable.

At this time, other symptoms developed too. My stomach was tight and constantly bloated, and I felt more chest pressure. I'm not sure if those two are related, but i feel pressure right below my ribs. After coming home from camp, I stayed home and I gradually began to feel worse. Some times are okay, but I feel like I can never breathe normally and I also think about my breathing too much. The chest tightness continued and so did the stomach/thorax area tightness. I went to the pulmonologist and allergist, the allergist telling me I have slight asthma, but the medications I was on, singular, allegra, and inhalers did not really make me feel any better. The pulmonologist and my primary care pediatrician both said that there wasn't anything big wrong with me, and that they were just "growing pains." Is this constant shortness of breath just a growing pain? So then, I continued feeling worse so I went to a different doctor and she did an echocardigram on me and a chest x-ray, both came out clear. My parents also believe that there is nothing wrong with me, and that it is just my anxiety. They told me to go out and have fun, but I have tried those things and my symptoms are always present. In the past several days, I've been feeling worse. I began having more muscle tightness and muscle weakness and dizziness, like I was going to pass out. I'm going in for a blood test tomorrow to check if I could have any other problems, but I'm getting really worried. I really cannot live like this anymore, it's ruining my daily life. On top of that, I'm going to be a high school senior and I need to do college apps soon as well as enjoy my senior year, which I cannot with these symptoms. I desperately want to know what is wrong with me. I started feeling like my head was very heavy today and yesterday my family and I were going to watch fireworks, but I couldn't go because it was hard for me to breathe and I felt like I was going to pass out. Is nothing really wrong with me and it's all in my head? I really don't know, but this is really frightening. I don't have much of an appetite these days and I'm really worried I would have something outrageous like a degenerative muscle disorder(if nothing is wrong with my heart/lungs, could it be my diaphragm?) or a brain tumor. Are these possible? If I were to see any doctor, what kind would it be? My breathing does not get worse with exercise.

Any help is greatly appreciated; I just don't know what to do anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

kw2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Don't Know What's Wrong With Me: Persistent Shortness of Breath

I am so sorry you r feeling like this at a young age. I have had the same problem for six months. Like u, my pulmonary function test normal, chest x-ray normal, ekg and echo normal, along with blood work. I really feel like I am going insane. Sounds like u have had all the tests. I am more short of breath doing nothing. I am seeing an acupuncturist and looking into hypnosis. I think I have a breathing awareness which makes it worse.
I am older; 40, and in excellent shape.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Don't Know What's Wrong With Me: Persistent Shortness of Breath

Well, if it doesn't get worse when you exercise, and the inhalers don't help, it's probably not asthma or lung disease. It also sounds like heart problems have been ruled out.

It is possible anxiety could produce chronic shortness of breath. What kinds of anxiety treatments have you tried?

Or it could be something else. The first thing that comes to my mind is anemia. If you don't have enough iron, that can definitely make you short of breath. Hopefully the bloodwork will have checked for that.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
(female)

kw2 HB User

My blood work is normal. Nothing out of the ordinary...

Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Are you taking any meds for your anxiety? If not you should and see if that helps

The Following User Says Thank You to gardenandcats For This Useful Post:
kw2 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
(female)

missannie123 HB User

Thank you so much for the input!

I have tried anxiety meds, my doctor prescribed xanax for me, but I only take it occasionally if I'm feeling too bad. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Epsilon-Barr virus could be the cause of my symptoms, and prescribed me antibiotics as well. Well, the medicine didn't do much to help me, and I am still feeling short of breath. I also felt very dizzy and unbalanced after I took the medication, but thankfully, that has gone away. She also diagnosed me with Vitamin D deficiency, and I am taking Vitamin D every day along with probiotics and Vitamin B. I took many blood tests and anemia has been ruled out. However, I do contribute some part of my symptoms to anxiety, as when I'm distracted or talking to other people, I sometimes forgot about my shortness of breath. Some days are better than others.

The thing that still annoys me, however, is I still have a persistent shortness of breath. I still feel like I cannot breath in deeply, my chest and abdomen feel tight at times. When I try not to think about my breathing, I feel like I am taking very shallow breaths. Could this be attributed to a diaphragm problem? I feel like my diaphragm area is very tight, but since I'm getting enough oxygen in my blood, according to the pulse oximeter, and my spirometry returned normal, i'm not sure if this could be the cause. I also feel like my muscles are extremely tight and heavy and sometimes my head feels heavy as well. Could these symptoms be associated with anxiety? I fear that is not the only problem as I have been taking anxiety meds and trying to not think about the problem but it still occurs. I can sleep normally and perform tasks normally but I have a constant fear of not getting enough hair and I always have to breathe in deeply to satisfy that feeling. I've realized though that having a positive outlook and a "I can get through this" attitude has really helped a lot, but I want to look for more concrete answers.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
(male)

bien HB User

Try a week or two of OTC GERD meds:

AXID / PRILOSEC / TAGAMENT / ZANTAC , ETC.

Sometimes simple stomach acid can burn the lungs and air passages making one think there is a more serious problem.

Buy one of the OTC drugs and see if there is any improvement.

There are kids that are 12 that have this problem, so even at 17 you're not immune.

My best wishes to you, my friend.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

missannie123 HB User

Thanks again for the advice! However, about a month ago, my primary care doctor put me on two weeks of prilosec to see if that would solve my shortness of breath and chest tightness, but it did not do much ):

Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
(female)

kw2 HB User

It takes months for those drugs to work. I have been on mine for two months now with no relief from the dyspnea (short of breath) and now increasing to twice a day. So, two weeks is not enought. I think mine is a combination from the lasopharengeal Reflux disease, anixiety, and OCD. Make sure you take vitamins with those kind of drugs because they deplete the body.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
(female)

AngelJoanne HB User

You said your pulseox was normal. Did they take it while you were walking? I had the same problem, but they never took it while I was walking until this past year and it was then that they discovered that it drops when I walk. Also are your potassium levels normal? Mine were 2.9 which was why I was dizzy. I have been on suplemental oxygen since March due to their concerns at my oxygen levels as I walk. I can tell you right now they don't know what is causing it so I can't give you a soulution, but maybe some of these things could be part of yours too.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
(female)

kw2 HB User

I have my own pulse oximeter and have checked it.
Thanks for thinking of that.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
(female)

AngelJoanne HB User

Have you been to a cardiologist? They usually do a stress test to check? I also had a cardiac cauth done on the right and left side of my heart? One to check for pulmonary hypertension and the other to check for blockages. There are so many things that can cause shortness of breath. The first thing they do is look for medical reasons and then they will try to treat it with anxiety medications. It is frustrating. I hope they figure it out soon for you.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
(male)

keyn HB User

Hi Annie.When I read your initial post I wasnt surprised,as I HAVE EVERY SYMPTOM you have,and its going on 14 months.Shortness of breath(especially 2 hours efter eating),dizzyness,muscle weakness,chronic sore neck,vision problems,BRAIN FOG,indigestion,interupted sleep patterns and waking up with "dead hands",.
I have had every blood test(hiv,cancer diabetes etc),cat scans,mri's.Finally docs said i was depressed.NO WAY!Put me on Paxil for 3 months and nothing changed.
I dont want to scare you,but Ive been researching this for 13 months and the only thing Ive come up with is the mystery virus thats sweeping China.Im sure its a virus as 9 people I know of at my gym have had same symptoms for over a year!My best friend is now symptomatic.I am starting to give up hope.All my other friends and family think that im faking and have become a drug addict because i am no longer physically able to work.
I have noticed that my symptoms arent as severe in warmer weather,but they havent gone away.Famous athletes such as Venus Williams and Phil. Eagle Jeremy Maclin have complained about having almost all of our symptoms.I think we have to band together on this one,because it is serious.Any info would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #14
(female)

kw2 HB User

I am so sorry what is happening to you!
I really feel now, after the tests, that it is anxiety related to OCD. I appreciate the comment.
I wish you the best!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

This is just a thought because so many people are mis-diagnosed for years. Have you been checked for Lyme disease? Not sure if your where ticks could bite you but they do cause an uproar in one's life.
Also try deep breathing trhough your nose if possible to try and train yourself to breathe deeply instead of short breaths.

Closed Thread