It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

atikbabu HB User
How to fix bad sleep habits?

i'm 19, and I've been going to bed at 3 (I can't fall asleep before 1) and waking up past at 1 or 2. It's very annoying and I can't seem to fix it. And starting my day late basically screws it up, and I don't want to do anything. I tried setting an alarm but I just hit snooze and went back to bed. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: How to fix bad sleep habits?

I honestly think that some people just have a naturally later schedule, but the key is trying to fix it GRADUALLY. I know if I wake up hours earlier than I usually do, I feel so nauseous, even if I got the same number of hours of sleep. I am a very tired person, so I can get to bed usually without a problem, but I still struggle with waking up early.

When I was a teenager and in high school, well, sleeping in was not an option because school started at a certain time. I am sure that back then, my parents would have made sure I was awake if I slept through my alarm. In college, I actually took a lot of 8 a.m. classes because that was the only way to get the classes I needed, plus still be able to work (my parents took care of school for me, but for my spending money). I never liked it and never really got used to it. Now I work a typical M-F 8-5 kind of job, so again, sleeping in isn't an option! Of course you can always try to work with your sleep schedule and see if there is something you can do that starts later in the day. I have friends who are managers of retail stores and typically start later in the day and work later (or in nightlife). That might be best if it's an option for you!

If that doesn't sound like a possibility, it will take time. My doctor talked to me because I am always tired and need to work on getting about 2 extra hours of sleep each night.... they told me to NOT try going to bed much earlier... to make it only about 15 minutes earlier than I normally do. Then after a little while of getting used to that, another 15 minutes. It should be a gradual process.

When it comes to alarm clocks, some people do turn them off in their sleep (I've done it)! My brother actually got one of those very loud old fashioned ringing bell alarms because it didn't have a snooze button. There is even an alarm that has wheels and will move, so you literally have to chase it down! Kind of funny to think about it. I use a rooster sound on my phone because it sounds a bit annoying and wakes me up better than other sounds. Every once in a while I will hear my alarm going off in a dream and won't wake up, so I typically set a back-up alarm as well.

I hope this helps give you some ideas. I wish there were an easy answer and a quick way to take care of it, but it will probably take some time. Even for me, I don't think I will ever be a morning person, but I want to at least feel decent. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread