It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User
Relationship: Brain & Exercise

What does lack of exercise do to the brain? Does it slow it down? Decrease memory?

Specifically aerobic exercise... If a young adult were to sit at the computer for 5 hours a day for 6 months, without getting any exercise... What would happen to the brain??

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoulders1091 For This Useful Post:
AlenP (07-26-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User
Re: Relationship: Brain & Exercise

Maybe. I notice when I'm out on my bike for instance I seem to have my best thoughts and I seem to be at my sharpest. Perhaps it's an increase of blood flow to the brain that does this. As for your question, probably nothing much. Lots of people live like that. It's a lifetime of lack of exercise that can be associated with increased risk of certain diseases, including brain diseases.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I think that scenario would depend greatly on what he/she was doing in front of the computer. If he/she were learning interesting information, interspersed with some brain stimulating puzzles or games, writing thought provoking letters, or interacting with challenging people, I imagine his brain would be stimulated. If however, he were mindlessly playing a game without any need for thought, he would likely be no fun to talk to, and would be slow to pick up a good conversation.

The individual would make a big difference in what the outcome would be.

Of course, we all know combining activity and exercise, with brain stimulation and a good diet is the best for us.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User

I guess I mean it in more of a scientific way... I know doing reading, and doing puzzles gets your "mind" going, but physically, does blood flow provide nutrients to the brain faster, which in turn allows for more efficient brain function? I would assume so, but just how relative is it is the question...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am speaking as a survivor of 4 strokes, and I know that keeping my mind working has been imperative to my recovery. The re-learning that goes on is very taxing, but with diligent effort, I have been able to restore things that were previously lost, much of it due to my brains ability to re=wire damaged areas, and re-route blood supply. I also became a avid writer, which I think was very helpful. While I could not exercise in a typical way, I was exercising my brain, while sitting still.

I am not sure if that makes sense or helps with your question, but it is my best shot.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
(male)

ethan12 HB User
Relationship: Brain & Exercise

There is very high bonding between exercise and mental health. This exercise may contain physical as well as mental exercise you called as medication.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User

Both physical exercise and mental stimulation are important then. Ok, thank you.

Last edited by Shoulders1091; 07-26-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Closed Thread