It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

fonei1111 HB User
food getting stuck in tonsils

I have this current problem about 1 out of 3 times i eat i get a piece of food stuck in my tonsil. Now i know everyone is so quick to play the doctor and say "they are tonsil stones, those little white things".. however that is not the case. If i eat a pretzel, a piece of pretzel sticks to my tonsil. the only way i have ever known to get it out is to chew on the opposite side of my mouth with gum or no gum until that flap in the back of my throat slides it off. it is very irritating and can make my throat sore. When the piece eventually comes out it is.. a small piece of pretzel, chicken, peanut, popcorn, corn, etc... whatever i just ate. It is not a tonsil stone. I dont know anyone else who has this condition and when i go to the doctor i always forget to ask because it isnt serious, and it only irritates me when it actually happens. i kinda forget it happens after the fact. just wondering if anyone can give any advice on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: food getting stuck in tonsils

There's no way to make the tonsil hole smaller. Maybe chew better, or when you swallow, focus the food more to the middle of your tongue at the back rather than to the sides.

That will take some muscle maneuvering, but squeezing that part of your throat kind of closed might help...You'll know what I mean if you try it with just saliva.

Do you have problems with your tonsils otherwise? If yes...I would advise for you to get them out if you're able, I wish I pushed more for that, and being older and continually having to clean them out daily as part of my mouth hygiene is a major PITA.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

seantal HB Userseantal HB User
Re: food getting stuck in tonsils

I actually have the same problem and it has made me gag on occassion. Eventually whatever has gotten caught up just dislodges, and ugh it is gross! I hate it, and I haven't spoken to doctor about it either.

Chantal

Closed Thread